electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
how to switch between different CMOS ICs
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
oberkorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: how to switch between different CMOS ICs
Subject description: is there a way to switch between, say NAND/XOR/???
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, long time since those cat people over at muffs abducted me but I have been lurking here recently again since I re-discovered lunetta circuits Smile

which brings me to my question:
is there a clever way to switch between different CMOS ICs, providing of course, that they have the same pinout?

like:
4071 OR
4001 NOR
4081 AND
4011 NAND
4070 XOR
4077 XNOR

since many noise makers produce wildly different results depending on which interchangeable chip you plug in I am thinking if it possible to switch between x number of groups of 4 output pins instead of switching the 8 inputs pins (maybe the inputs have to be buffered). with considerable wiring effort I can imagine this being possible with one of those rotating switches found in old parallel port printer selectors, but is there an easier way?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use muxes (4051/4052/4053/4067) to switch which can be controlled by a binary control
signal (3 bits for a 1x8 switch). Which is even more fun than an actual switch because you can use
other logic to control it Laughing

But you can also use those to replace the other gates completely. With a CD4052 you could make
four different 2 input gates and with one switch you can rule control them all. Have a look at my
XOA mixer, posted in the ANY gate thread, for more info about that.

You could use it to make the XOR, OR, AND gates and than use an inverter at the output for
XNOR, NOR, NAND. To make multiple inverters switchable with only a single switch you can use XOR gates.

So with 4x CD4052 + 1x CD4070 and a 2x6 (rotary) switch you can create all the different gates (x4)
controlled by 1 switch. Cool (maybe I'll draw up a schematic later, I like doing that)

moved this to the lunetta section

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oberkorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a late thanks!
a drawing would be most welcome.
to clarify, besides lunetta, I'd also like to utilise this to select between different CMOS chips
in different eurorack modules, like the Music Thing Turing Machine Random sequencer and some of AndrewF/Pinky's creations
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually drew a schematic just forgot to post it Embarassed

I added 3 different switching options to the left. Using the 3 toggle switches you get an added bonus of being able to force every output high/low.
it's too bad both muxes of the CD4052 are controlled by the same AB pins else it would only need 2 of those chips. I did think about creating the
inverted outputs with the other half but than you'd still need something to switch between all 8 outputs so that doesn't really help much.

CMOS Multi Gate.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.57 KB
 Viewed:  573 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CMOS Multi Gate.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oberkorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking of and very useful for many applications thumb up
will look into making a small sub board so I can add it to other circuits.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: