electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
changing variations in performance mode on g2 engine?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crueltwist

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: changing variations in performance mode on g2 engine? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi - I'm looking into getting a 2nd hand g2 engine as a backup and for live work but wondered if anyone can tell me from experience if it's possible to assign a midi controller to do the same thing as the variation buttons on the keyboard version? I need to change all 4 patch variations at once and if this isn't possible on the engine it won't be of much use to me for the patches I'm playing - if anyone could shed any light I'd be most grateful

Cheers!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes this is possible, well not at the exact same time four all four patches, but within about 4 ms or so ... as it needs four MIDI CC messages to be sent.

It is done with CC 70, the manual has some info about this, but what may not be directly clear there is that the full range of values for CC 70 [0,127] maps on variation [1,8], so for variation 1 the values to be used are [0,128/8-1] and for variation 2 that is [128/8,2*128/8-1] etc.

You can also do remote patch changes BTW, with the Program Change MIDI out module and the bank select CC. I'll leave this one as an exercise Laughing

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you access the Global Panel with the G2 engine ? because :

Quote:
When in GLOBAL PANEL mode, selecting another
VARIATION with one of the VARIATION buttons will
cause all active Slots to switch to this selected
VARIATION.

I don't think you can but just in case... I use this trick sometime instead to recall all variations from all slots seperately.
crueltwist

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that's what I meant, in GLOBAL PANEL mode..

Thanks very much for this info guys - I know literally nothing whatsoever about midi though, have never used it

"You can also do remote patch changes BTW, with the Program Change MIDI out module and the bank select CC"

I wouldn't have the first idea how to do this! I'll get back to you if I actually buy a g2 engine & I can't get my head around it

Thanks again
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, it does not appear that the Engine supports the Global Mode Variation change feature. Jan mentioned that you can send multiple MIDI CC 70 values (one to each Slot on different MIDI channels). Another possibility may be that you could send one Variation change to a Slot and then use the G2 MIDI Control Receive and Send modules to echo the change to the other Slots. This may be easier to implement when using an external MIDI controller…
exeterdown

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also set up slots to effect one another using the status module and MIDI CC send.

Screen shot 2016-12-21 at 1.27.02 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.97 KB
 Viewed:  5581 Time(s)

Screen shot 2016-12-21 at 1.27.02 PM.png

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: