electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Nord Modular Editor on OS X using wine
Page 4 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Ster Alliance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I installed Nomad now but it's not giving me the tool bar for some reason.. does anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by Ster Alliance on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ster Alliance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got Editor and Nomad to work sort of Smile

thank you for your help

Last edited by Ster Alliance on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Redline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cooperator wrote:
Howdy
Thanks for this excellent post. Confirmed working on both El Capitan and Yosemite.

I followed the guide to create a clickable dock icon at this site:
http://pim.famnit.upr.si/blog/forums.html?/archives/15-Executable-script-in-OS-X-for-standalone-windows-software.html

This is the contents of my AppleScript (my exe is stored in /Applications/Nord Modular Editor/):
Code:
do shell script "/usr/local/bin/wine \"/Applications/Nord Modular Editor/Nord Modular Editor v3.03.exe\""

If anyone is interested, I am attaching my icon (it is a micromodular because that is what I use).

Thanks again for such a useful post.

Following on from this, attached is an AppleScript file with the old Nord icons in place.

My code is slightly different to the one cooperator uses:

Code:
do shell script "/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/MacOS/Wine \"/Applications/Nord Modular Editor v3.03.exe\""

(Where Wine and the Nord Editor are both under the Applications folder),

Hope it's useful. This works using Wine 1.8-rc4 Development to run the original Windows Nord Editor.

Nord_Mac_Winescript.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Nord_Mac_Winescript.zip
 Filesize:  12.39 KB
 Downloaded:  779 Time(s)

toneburst

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Amazing!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got NM Editor working on OS X Yosemite with latest WineHQ staging release and the Windows editor .exe.! Brilliant!!

I also have a G2 Engine, and am having less luck getting that working, unfortunately. It installs OK, using the installer from the Clavia archive, but won't see the Engine, even though USB is plugged in. I notice there is a USB driver download, too, but I can't work out how to install it in Wine. Anyone any tips?

a|x
toneburst

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doing a bit of reading on WineHQ in OS X, it looks like installing the driver won't help, as Wine doesn't have any direct access to external hardware.

Funnily enough, the Nord G2 Engine Does show up as a USB device in the Apple System Information application, but the USB light on the hardware remains stubbornly unlit.

MacPro3.1
8-Core Xeon
MacOS X 10.10.1 (can't update right now due to lack of HD space, unfortunately).
toneburst

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh.. the OS X editor for the G2 DOES actually work in Yosemite....
Now I feel stupid...

Having said that, I plan to sell my studio Mac soon, and will be running El Capitan on my laptop after that, so I'd still like to know if that's going to work. Will do some more experiments.

Anyone got the Windows G2 editor to work in Wine?

a|x
georgeantonios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: New Error
Subject description: this is a new error that no one else has discussed yet.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm getting a failure no one else has posted about. This is the 2nd go, same failure occurs.
Any help would be appreciated.
Followed the directions exactly as posted.

I'm trying to see if this method works with the Roland XV 5050 editor. I just need WINE to recognize my MIDI board to communicate with the synth.
If I get it all working, I'll post results.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 9.16.06 PM.png
 Description:
Screenshot of failure.
 Filesize:  292.26 KB
 Viewed:  774 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 9.16.06 PM.png

toneburst

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest version of WineHQ already incorporates the Sysex patch, so no need to apply it. Just download WineHQ, grab the .exe, and off you go!

a|x
toneburst

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Incidentally, the current Homebrew recipe for Wine appears to be broken. One of the many dependencies (FreeFont, I believe) has moved to another web-host, which breaks the installation. I got it to work in the end by manually editing the recipe. Can't remember the details now, but the steps I went through were basically:

Find Homebred recipe for the offending dependency in Homebrew installation directory, based on error message produced during Wine install attempt

Look for name and URL of file in recipe, and locate file on web

Paste in new location. I deleted the signature line below, as this didn't match with the file in its new location

Ran Homebrew Wine installation again, I think with -f option

a|x
toneburst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I realised much too late that I was confusing the Nord Modular G2 Editor software with the software-only G2 Demo. The actual G3 Editor still works fine in Yosemite on a Mac, and starts up fine in El Capitan (haven't yet tested if it's actually possible to edit patches in El Cap, but I'm confident it will work).

a|x
marioisaac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi people,

I want to share with you that recently I found there is also WineAsio, and this makes it possible to run Windows Audio Apps within a MAC, without latency.

I used to run the G2 Demo Software, and from the moment I hit the MIDI Keyboard the latency to hear sound used to be around 200 ms; now with WineAsio is about 2 ms!!!

For this you have to do the following:

1- Go to this website [url] http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/ [/url] download and install Jack for OS X.
2- Go to this website [url] http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/downloads[/url] scroll down, and download Wine.App (Version 1.8 rc-4) is working for me. DO NOT download WineBottler, I tried using this and it did not work.
3- Install Wine.App.
4- Open Wine.App. (3 window dialogs will appear once you open the App; on the Winetricks windows, select the tickbox "silent install", and click on apply).
5- Close the Wine.App.
6- Go to https://github.com/steveschow/osxwineasio/releases , scroll down and download the file wineasio.dll.so.
7- Go to the Applications Folder, make a right click on the Wine App, and select Show Package Contents. From there Navigate to: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib/wine/ , and drop the wineasio.dll.so in this folder.
8- Open Wine.App.
9- On the upper tab in the Desktop, click the Wine icon, and select DOS prompt, and type the following: regsvr32 wineasio.dll
10- Type Enter, and if everything went right, you should see a message that says something along the lines of "Succesful registration".
11- On your Windows Audio Apps, select WineAsio as the Audio Device.
12- Welcome to latency free world Smile

Hope this helps someone out there Smile

Last edited by marioisaac on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heathfinnie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reading this thread has confused me (some talk about different Wines, G2 talk...). I have installed Wine using homebrew. Where do I go from here to install and get working the Windows editor? Just picked up a first generation modular and want to connect it to my IMac.

Thanks!
cereal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you just need to follow the final 2 steps mentioned in the first post in this topic:

Quote:
5. download win$ version of NMEditor
6. run it by typing "wine Nord Modular Editor File Name.exe" (i can't remember the exact filename... ;P)
Heathfinnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you. I decided to just find an old G4 and dedicate it to the G1. Works great.
tomhall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

marioisaac wrote:
Hi people,

I want to share with you that recently I found there is also WineAsio, and this makes it possible to run Windows Audio Apps within a MAC, without latency.

I used to run the G2 Demo Software, and from the moment I hit the MIDI Keyboard the latency to hear sound used to be around 200 ms; now with WineAsio is about 2 ms!!!

For this you have to do the following:

1- Go to this website [url] http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/downloads[/url] scroll down, and download Wine.App (Version 1.8 rc-4) is working for me. DO NOT download WineBottler, I tried using this and it did not work.
2- Install Wine.App.
3- Open Wine.App. (3 window dialogs will appear once you open the App; on the Winetricks windows, select the tickbox "silent install", and click on apply).
4 - Close the Wine.App.
5- Go to https://github.com/steveschow/osxwineasio/releases , scroll down and download the file wineasio.dll.so.
6- Go to the Applications Folder, make a right click on the Wine App, and select Show Package Contents. From there Navigate to: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib/wine/ , and drop the wineasio.dll.so in this folder.
7- Open Wine.App.
8- On the upper tab in the Desktop, click the Wine icon, and select DOS prompt, and type the following: regsvr32 wineasio.dll
9- Type Enter, and if everything went right, you should see a message that says something along the lines of "Succesful registration".
10- On your Windows Audio Apps, select WineAsio as the Audio Device.
11- Welcome to latency free world Smile

If you want to route Audio internally between your MAC Apps, and Windows Apps, then you can install Jack Audio Connection Kit for OS X http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/

Hope this helps someone out there Smile

I followed these instructions to the T and am now running the Windows editor on my Macbook Pro with Yosemite talking to my Micro Modular

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9dVwwxlSZ/

thanks
JeEA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Can not paste the Wineasio.dll.so In the
Path You have written
marioisaac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomhall wrote:

I followed these instructions to the T and am now running the Windows editor on my Macbook Pro with Yosemite talking to my Micro Modular

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9dVwwxlSZ/

thanks

Great! Glad it worked for you Smile
marioisaac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JeEA wrote:
I Can not paste the Wineasio.dll.so In the
Path You have written

Did you download WineApp or WineBottler?

When I downloaded WineBottler I could not paste the dll either. You should download WineApp

Also make sure you have Jack for OS X installed before installing Wine.App, otherwise the wineasio.dll won't be registered.
JeEA

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay thanks.
I'll give it a try. Did not load Jack prior to Wine app
Sharawadji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have created a standalone editor using wine. I have an issue that happens often in that using the trackpad on my macbook when I select a dial, knob, button it assigns it to a morph group. As in the same behaviour when you do a fast double click. This behaviour comes and goes. Anyone experience this or has a solution?

Thanks
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently got a NM1 and got the windows version of the editor up and running with Crossover15. working perfectly, no issues at all and zero setup. but you do need a 2 button mouse to really get it working fully. other than that there have bee no issues or problems.
i'm a little surprised at how effortless it is. I'm running 10.11.4 on an old i5 macbook pro.

maxime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful ! Works on my mountain lion MacBook with wine.
I still don't get how to compile apps and get jack audio to work but for now I am running the nm1 editor !
Cheers !
Yot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

I made a standalone version of the Micro Modular Editor v3.03 for Mac. It's Wine embedded so that's why the file is so big. But for those who don't want to bother installing Brew, Wine... it's easier.

I would love to have your feedback. Cheers!
HERE:
http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular/
JeEA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Super great thanks!
I finally Got the editor to work thanks to
Your effort with the added Wine program.

Unfortunately my midi interface does not
like my Mac. I use emagic mt4 with my win XP
And the Micro. Tried using it with my Mac but it just
look for it and i Can not make it work.

I am not giving up. I loadet an mt4 driver and it
is installed, but it is not really active
Some things are greyed out.

Cheers
Jens
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no knowledge of Nord, Mac, or Wine, but I have experience with the mt4; I have 2 of them. They have caused issues for me with XP. I seem to think they worked OK with Win98SE, though they couldn't always keep up with the Casio DH-100's constant stream of aftertouch (breath) data. I have had them working under XP, but not always. I know I fiddled with BIOS to enable/disable usb legacy devices, and sometimes one of the settings seem to help the mt4 function OK. I seem to recall when I tried an mt4 a few months ago I got it to sort-of work; at first it didn't communicate with the PC, so I chose some assumptions and the emagic XP software [Unitor Control] sometimes responded.

For a few weeks or so, I used it as a simple 2 in 4 out, non-programmable thru-box. I think I finally went into XP's device manager and told it not to use the mt4's drivers. So really it was just a thru-box being powered by usb.

I am not sure this will help with the editor, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Steve
Page 4 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: