electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Using gooseneck mic on Nord Modular line inputs
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
agustindead

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Using gooseneck mic on Nord Modular line inputs
Subject description: Is there any simple and small way to use a gooseneck mic with the NM?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, hi everyone, though I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post here. Should I post this in the DIY forum?? The issue that brings me here is that I'm looking for a simple way to use the NM vocoder with a gooseneck mic... Does anyone have some input on how to proceed?

I had a couple of ideas:
a) using a condenser gooseneck microphone (which I have already) and making a small preamp that also supplies phantom power. CONS: I'd hate running it on a separate power supply, and I haven't found a design that works on batteries.
b) getting a dynamic gooseneck mic and just use a preamp running on batteries which seems much more feasible.
c) could it be possible to mod one of the inputs to accept microphone level signals??
d) are there any gooseneck mic models that could be plugged directly to the TS connector in the NM? (yeah... I wish. It doesn't hurt asking though.)

My idea is having a small box attached to the top or side of the NM and sticking the mic there. I don't want to deal with separated mic stands and big preamps, I already have those and I'd like to do something Microkorg style. Sadly, getting a G2 is not a possibility for me.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by agustindead on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Using gooseneck mic on NM inputs
Subject description: Is there any simple and small way to use a gooseneck mic with the NM?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

perfectsound wrote:
Should I post this in the DIY forum??

Might be useful yes on reading the question .. let me copy it over there // leaving a link here .. erm there ... but here is now there .. or .. erm welcome

Laughing

agustindead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I just edited the subject to make it more clear I'm talking about the Nord Modular.
agustindead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a while since I posted this, but I realized someone might be interested in a similar mod and my experience might help. Finally, I decided to drill my synth (ouch!), attaching an XLR connector to the front, adding an internally wired preamp and normalizing its output to INPUT 1 (anything connected to this input would leave the mic out of the circuit). The microphone I used is a dynamic Audio Technica AT808G.

I built this simple transistor based preamp: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vtwAWSTUFso/UqgAlA8qMnI/AAAAAAAAAPM/3ZZ7h3syQlA/s1600/Circuit+1.bmp which takes its 5v supply from the synth itself (the power supply PCB in the NM is clearly labelled so it's easy to find a point to connect the preamp).
Before drilling, make sure you detach all boards from the panel. My drilling wasn't as neat as I'd like, but I guess it's not that bad.
I had to replace the INPUT 1 jack and wired the preamp output to the normally closed lug.
The preamp board is so tiny, mine rests hot-glued to the connector.

Another idea is to use a combo connector and make an instrument preamp as well, to be able to conect the mic or a guitar. I haven't found a circuit suitable for 5v operation still, and don't know what to mod in this preamp for it to work on instrument level, but I'll eventually do it.

Audio quality is definitely not hi-fi, but the noise floor is pretty decent. And it sure works great for vocoders. Some gain and a gate in the patch make it work like a charm.

If anyone needs any help or extra info, just PM me!

IMG_2533[1].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_2533[1].JPG

IMG_2535[1].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.73 MB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_2535[1].JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: