electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
MS20 Inspired VCO WIP
Page 4 of 4 [90 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any updates on this MS20 inspired VCO?

Pantheon wrote:
ok, so i've tested both sides now and they both seem to work almost identicaly which is quite a good sign.

brother303

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

still interested in this,too.

Wink

Werebear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Pantheon

The Bear here. Lovely work on the vco and way out of my league of understanding. I'm at the stage of breadboarding and if it works great and if it still works on stripboard then even better.

I have an extremely cheeky question which goes back to my post about tempcos/thermisters.

Where are you getting your 1K PTC thermisters/tempcos from? I am in the UK and am having trouble locating PTCs. Lots of NTC but none of the good stuff. Am I just punching the wrong descriptions into Mouser/Farnel/RS/Rapid... ?

Thanks

Werebear

vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings folks
Just made a veroboard layout for the MS20 VCA .. did it according to the schematic from Marjan's site ,my idea was to make a MS20 VCA and VCF on one panel ,but just not sure if the VCA would work on 12 v , i'll do also the simpler no OTA version of the vcf . So any suggestions if i should mod them to work on -/+ 12 v .. ?
thanks
Vlad
E.A.S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,
I saw this thread and thought some of you guys would be interested in my "miss 10" project thread over at muffwiggler.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-38676.html

-Mike
Satindas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I reading this incorrectly, or is this whole thread a perfect example of plagiarism exposed ?
In the search for a better understanding of the basic saw core and its use in a design I had in mind, there I was, reading with eagerness, the development of what seemed like a genuine attempt to contribute to this fine sdiy repository with the expectation that there might be some final pcb layout or schematic when all of a sudden ... Nothing !
Could this be perhaps, in no small part due to the timely appearance of the honourable and reverend Dr Lanterman who in his retort, makes subtle and yet crippling references to materials previously posted? Or could it be that Dr Lanterman was himself quite bewildered in his attempt to understand this circuit and thought that perhaps some hitherto unknown "noob" to synth circuit design and electronics in general just might be able to cast light where there was only darkness and confusion. I suspect the former case to be true, due in no small part to the fact that the OP seems to have completely lost all interest in this forum following Dr Lantermans post.
Please forgive me if I'm totally off course with this and I know its an old thread but it looks like this just fizzled. If this is what it looks like it should serve as a reminder to everyone that plagiarism sucks and if you're caught at it,the only person really harmed is yourself.
m.o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Satindas wrote:
Am I reading this incorrectly, or is this whole thread a perfect example of plagiarism exposed ?
In the search for a better understanding of the basic saw core and its use in a design I had in mind, there I was, reading with eagerness, the development of what seemed like a genuine attempt to contribute to this fine sdiy repository with the expectation that there might be some final pcb layout or schematic when all of a sudden ... Nothing !
Could this be perhaps, in no small part due to the timely appearance of the honourable and reverend Dr Lanterman who in his retort, makes subtle and yet crippling references to materials previously posted? Or could it be that Dr Lanterman was himself quite bewildered in his attempt to understand this circuit and thought that perhaps some hitherto unknown "noob" to synth circuit design and electronics in general just might be able to cast light where there was only darkness and confusion. I suspect the former case to be true, due in no small part to the fact that the OP seems to have completely lost all interest in this forum following Dr Lantermans post.
Please forgive me if I'm totally off course with this and I know its an old thread but it looks like this just fizzled. If this is what it looks like it should serve as a reminder to everyone that plagiarism sucks and if you're caught at it,the only person really harmed is yourself.

Who, do you mean, plagiarized who? The OP plagiarized the original design? Lanterman plagiarized the OP?
Is Lanterman a known evil-doctor? What would he gain from shooting down the project?
Projects fizzle out all the time for people for various reasons (especially when nearing completion - the dreaded "last 10% is the worst")...
Satindas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, m.o
Like I said, please forgive me if I've got this completely wrong but it looked to me as though the OP had posted work which he claimed to be his own. Some way into the project Dr Lanterman appears and asks for assistance in getting this circuit to work. Why on earth would one of the most well known and respected figures in the synth electronics world today ask for assistance from a self declared "newb". To me it was like " Hey, I know what you're up to", you know, like a "shot across the bows", so to speak. Then not a single subsequent post by the OP on this whole forum. Kinda strange don't you think?
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

erherhethje a rv5q34tq3 tq3 v5353[miocklklklwqek, rck k mc4k3k4k3mtrmkmk2qmmkkkll;l;l; ; ;;; ;;rem,lm,rell ;l;;; lwem,l,lw ;l ,;w;;, ;,;w;l;lel;l ;.'Q;KRFMNKLGF; ;;
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

erherhethje.jpg
 Description:
erherhethje
 Filesize:  18.94 KB
 Viewed:  2101 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

erherhethje.jpg

acidblue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh No! this thread didn't just die, did it?

Oh damn it!
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Satindas wrote:
Could this be perhaps, in no small part due to the timely appearance of the honourable and reverend Dr Lanterman who in his retort, makes subtle and yet crippling references to materials previously posted?

Dr. Lanterman here -- although actually I ask my students to call me Aaron. Dr Lanterman makes it sound like I should be wearing I tie. Wink

Uhm... I haven't the slightest idea what in the world you are talking about. My post about the MS-20 VCO and the variation the OP formulated was a "retort," and absolutely was not intended to include any "crippling references."

- Aaron
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="m.o"]
Satindas wrote:

Is Lanterman a known evil-doctor? What would he gain from shooting down the project?

I sure hope not! Smile

[quote="m.o"]
Satindas wrote:

What would he gain from shooting down the project?

I thought the OP's project was a great idea!

Shooting down other people's projects is not something I have any interest in.

- Aaron
abovenyquist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Satindas wrote:
Like I said, please forgive me if I've got this completely wrong but it looked to me as though the OP had posted work which he claimed to be his own

The original post contained a sentence: "As the title says I have been trying to build a MS20 style VCO, with 1v/oct. control, better waveshapers, and soft syncing. Not a task many seem to have taken on. there is one video on youtube of a MS10 VCO clone, and Jurgen Haible made a linear control VCO around the MS20 core." The OP made it absolutely clear what the source of their work is. MS20 is in the title of the thread for goodness sake. The OP made no inappropriate or unfounded claims of originality.

Satindas wrote:
Some way into the project Dr Lanterman appears and asks for assistance in getting this circuit to work. Why on earth would one of the most well known and respected figures in the synth electronics world today ask for assistance from a self declared "newb".

I'm honored by your phrase "well known and respected," although I probably don't deserve it. I'm just a fellow traveller and fellow learner. I was hired into the DSP faculty at Georgia Tech in 2001. When I started becoming curious about analog synths around 2005, I couldn't even remember how to analyze an op amp circuit. I re-taught myself circuits and electronics, and started reading (and still do) everything that came up on the SDIY mailing list. I was absolutely a "newb." And I'm still learning. There's people on the SDIY mailing list, and here, and on muffwiggler who are far beyond me in terms of their level of understanding. My first run of my synth design special topics class, in 2006, was done as a way for me to make time to learn more about synth electronics by making it part of my job.

There is still much I don't understand very well -- like the operation of MS-20 VCO. I was simply asking for help in understanding it, and help with getting my student's project working. I would never look down upon a "newb" or think they have nothing to teach me.

Satindas wrote:
To me it was like "Hey, I know what you're up to", you know, like a "shot across the bows", so to speak.

There's no "shot across the bows." It saddens me that anything I wrote might be interpreted it like. I have no idea what you even think the OP might have been "up to" that I might have even thought to insinuate "I know what you're up to." Which, of course, I didn't.

- Aaron
Pantheon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I just wanted to try and clear up what seems to be some misunderstanding.

I hoped I was always clear that this was a project taking the original design for the MS20 VCO and giving it a little polish as best I could.

I didn’t leave this thread because of anything 'abovenyquist' said, I left because my own personal circumstances were not great and I had no time or money after a while to pursue this project. I felt bad about that since I had put in a ton of time, and others too were quite eager to see this project come to fruition

I had also unfortunately managed to miss 'abovenyquist''s first post where you were asking for help. I must say, I wish I had some kind of 'Electronics for Music Synthesis' class near me that I could have attended, it sounds fantastic. As for the problem you had, did you ever solve it? I would have suggested dropping the entire sync circuit, and also trying to use discrete transistors rather then the transistor array.

I’m still in half a mind as to whether to resurrect this project as I do have some time now.
At the very least I can try to dig out the original spice files and put them up on github or something for others to try out.

Page 4 of 4 [90 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: