electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
3rd run for Thomas Henry's 555-VCO and Controller LFO
Page 3 of 4 [88 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
jukingeo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa!

I don't recall getting an email to send in payment and I checked back here and people are getting their boards?

I'll double check my emails, but I seriously don't remember getting any message that the boards were in to send in payment.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jukingeo wrote:
Whoa!

I don't recall getting an email to send in payment and I checked back here and people are getting their boards?

I'll double check my emails, but I seriously don't remember getting any message that the boards were in to send in payment.

most people (almost everyone) have disabled the email button in the profile the button is there, however, the direct email function is disabled. so i use PMs instead, except people contacted me via email.

stubbyfex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Received the PC board yesterday. Only 10 days from Germany to Denver!
Excellent quality product! Thank you very much.
jukingeo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

555 - VCO Boards received today! What can I say, they are a thing of beauty. Very good quality boards. Now I just have to recall where the BOM was for these.

So far it looks like I am WELL on my way with my custom synth.

1 - MFOS DIY Synth Experimenter
1 - MFOS 16 channel sequencer
1 - MFOS Micro Sample & Hold
3 - Thomas Henry 555 VCO's.

I think this should keep me busy for quite a while.

Thanx again Fonik for the prompt shipment on the boards. I got them in about 10 days as well.

Geo

crashlander42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have I really missed 3 runs of the 555 VCO boards now?! I need am alert system or something. Maybe with sirens and flashing lights...

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jukingeo wrote:
555 - VCO Boards received today! What can I say, they are a thing of beauty. Very good quality boards. Now I just have to recall where the BOM was

Don't forget the couple of resistor changes that aren't on the BOM but are at the start of the thread. I did and I have a messy board. My fault and so I got extra annoyed!!! Always easier when someone else makes the mistake but Fonik doesn't make them.....

StormB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
Bin beim Aufbau des Lfo und finde die Diode D2 nicht
Laut sheet müßten es 7 Dioden sein konnte aber nur 6 bestücken
Gesetz
StormB
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hi,
Bin beim Aufbau des Lfo und finde die Diode D2 nicht
Laut sheet müßten es 7 Dioden sein konnte aber nur 6 bestücken
Gesetz
StormB

i am building the LFO and cannot find diode D2.
according BOM it should be 7 diodes, however, i found just 6 on the PCB

(translation by fonik)

sorry for the late reply.

i left off diode D2, since on mybuilt it was not necessary. however, a few people experienced double triggers, and to be on the save side you should mount it according to thomas schematic in parallel to R44 (100k).[/i]

dwhacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would there happen to be any extra boards left? I would really like to build one, especially after watching your Youtube video of it!
jcarruthers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was thinking the same thing — are there any left?
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am currently working on the how and when... so yes, new boards an panels are coming for the 555VCO, Controller LFO, and the X4046 VCO. i am still pondering about the CMOS ADSR, though.
Karlisss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

555 Successsssss! Finaly i have SIN in my diy system!
I bilt with "simple" 3906 nonmatched pair with simple 2K R11 instead of temco sinc i need just a sound sorce.
Thank you very much!
sircut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me with my problem. I´ve bought a TH 555 VCO pcb set from Thonk, builded it and put it in my case. Everything was working fine. I tested every waveform and the fm inputs... No problems. But when I put in a CV it began to sound messed up. Some kind of high frequency distortion was introduced in the waveforms. I checked the board for errors but could not find any. Now when I plug in the module again (without a cv source), the waveforms have a very low amplitude and are sounding very thin. I used the resistors mentioned in the updated BOM, but missed out the polystyrene capacitor. hopefully someone can help me, because I got really stuck.

Ciao,
Luigi
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im a noob myself but first thing id try is putting the recommended capacitors in place...
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sircut wrote:
..., but missed out the polystyrene capacitor.

hi there,

the good news is that this project is more than just well tested. it has been built hundred times. so it is just an error in your actual build.

please, just explain your quote above. did you completely missed out the cap or did you just use another type?

from the other parts of your post i would think that there is some short, however, not necessarily to one of the rails. just a wild guess at this point anyways.

check power cable.
with module not plugged to the by measuring resistance from +V to GND, -V to GND and +V to -V.
and now that your module does not work as in the beginning i would recommend replacing the ICs.

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Be sure to check the polarity of the capacitors for the ones that are not bipolar.
Capacitors will shortcircuit when used with the opposite polarity!
sircut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found it! The jacks that I bought had a different pin out. They also are the types of jacks, that close the tip to ground if nothing is inserted. I had to solder a little bridge on all jacks and now it works like a charme.

Thank you all for your support, now it´s time to calibrate the hell out of them. Maybe I have to come back later with some new issues Wink

Cheers,
Luigi
sircut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,
I have a new problem now. I tried to get 1v/oct right, but the closest I can get from one C to another, is 130hz to 400hz. There is no more room to play on the v/oct trimmer. I double checked everything and there are the right polystyrene caps in place. I am not shure if I got the right Tempcos (they are at least 2k ones).

I turned the trimmer all the way to the left and it feels like I have to turn it some more time to get it right.

Thanks for your help in advanced.

Lui
sircut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nobody?
Maybe I can just swap out the 1v/oct trimmer with higher value one?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Lui
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry for the late reply, i currently do not find much time for the forum.

check the HF trimmer value first.

the 555VCO is normally an easy candidate for calibration. if it does not work from the start, then there will be an error elsewhere. i would not suggest to change any values/parts as shown in schematic. the design is proven to be correct.

sircut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply!
The value of the HF-Trimmer is 100k. The writing on the trimmer is 520 B / W 104.

Cheers,
Luigi
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone recently building another of Thomas' VCO's had used the wrong resistor for the other part of the divider for the HF trim.

You might check:

1) R2 (should be 390R)
2) R23 (should be 22K)
3) value of R1 V/Oct Trim (should be 100R)
4) make sure that R36 is at the low side of its settings (I think, Fonik can correct me, but it looks to me like it's set up that you want to start with the wiper at ground and slowly bring it up. What makes me uncertain is that in other of Thomas' designs you want it at the *high* side because it's limiting the amount of feedback that addresses the HF component).
Ebardie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Leakage
Subject description: Getting output even when no patch cables are present
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm getting leakage from my Fonitronik TH-555 (and for that matter TH-X4046) to my amp modules (a Frequency Central System X Amp, and a Frequency Central Meth Amp) even when the osc and amp are the only two modules in the case and there are no patch cables installed.

The power supply is a Mean Well PD-2512 Open Frame Power Supply, distributed via a long piece of stripboard with headers soldered in every few cm.

The leakage seems to be related to the square wave since twiddling the PWM affects the sound.

Any idea what I can do to trace/fix this problem? Is it a known issue?

Thanks for any light you can cast!
muziekzen

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: POT value Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,

do you know if other values (such as 50k) could be used for the pots?
I have having difficulties finding 100K of the usual kind and I have some 50k.

Thanks!

Guido
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any of the pots that are voltage dividers should be able to be any value you care to use. Lower than 100K will consume a bit more current overall, but I don't have any reason to expect that would be a problem.
Page 3 of 4 [88 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: