electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2016 Builds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Cfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is pretty much 2016.
On left, rebuilt my MIDI bass pedals with a better set of pedals.
Stomp boxes on top are delay, DR Q, tremolo, and distortion.
Bass pedals to right are basic analog, saw tooth VCO, a delay and passive filter.
Analog modular on top of it has MIDI to CV, Thomas Henry VCO1, a 2 octave divider module, 4 channel mixer with small patch bay. And my 8 channel sequencer I'm still working on. All modules are perf board.
To the right is my mini top octave synth based on the PAIA OZ with some major mods.

I'm in the HVAC business and it was a mild winter here. I had a lot of time for projects.

Come to think of it, I quit drinking January 4th. I might be a little over focused LOL. there is a drawer full of circuits I built and didn't like.
Oh, and there is an old set of PAIA 2720 modules on the table in the background I'm almost done restoring.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  483 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

image.jpeg

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YUSYNTH ARP4072 VCF

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This is a very nice sounding filter! I only soldered half the pots and jacks for testing, and dryfitted the rest before photos. Didn't realise the jack had fell out until after the camera was put away... (yes, the jack was put back in place.)

I found that this VCF must be trimmed before it'll work properly. So far, self-oscillation is naff, I'll have to muck around with it more Smile
AlanP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YUSYNTH VC-Panning Mixer and Output Module

Really, really nice module, this. Yves' designs are always good! I didn't put the VU meters in -- not enough panel real estate.

I'm iffy about the daughterboards, but doing it as one separate board parallel to the pot and jack board didn't work out so well. If I need to, I'll tie them down with some twine and insulating panels.

This is the state it was in when I was actually *using* it for the equinox event... much less noisy even like that than the behringer desk mixer.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice modules Alan Smile
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great looking pedals Cfish
AlanP

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Yusynth ADSR New. I've put jumpers on the back for the two Fast/Slow settings Smile so you can either choose, or hardwire. The pushbutton for Gate is really, really neat Very Happy

This was partly a challenge to myself to see if I could skweez this into 4HP Smile
Cfish

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good Alanp
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
This is pretty much 2016.
On left, rebuilt my MIDI bass pedals with a better set of pedals.
Stomp boxes on top are delay, DR Q, tremolo, and distortion.
Bass pedals to right are basic analog, saw tooth VCO, a delay and passive filter.
Analog modular on top of it has MIDI to CV, Thomas Henry VCO1, a 2 octave divider module, 4 channel mixer with small patch bay. And my 8 channel sequencer I'm still working on. All modules are perf board.
To the right is my mini top octave synth based on the PAIA OZ with some major mods.

I'm in the HVAC business and it was a mild winter here. I had a lot of time for projects.

Come to think of it, I quit drinking January 4th. I might be a little over focused LOL. there is a drawer full of circuits I built and didn't like.
Oh, and there is an old set of PAIA 2720 modules on the table in the background I'm almost done restoring.

Congratulations! Well done! All of that-
Btw.What the xxx ist HVAC business??
Cfish

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks L' Andratte. Got the sequencer going today.

HVAC is heating, ventilation and air conditioning.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ow, i thought High Voltage Alternating Current Laughing
Cfish

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another module up and running.

Built this as a supplemental extra, but I really like it. Is a combo simple 3080 VCA, simple AD/AR envelope and simple sub audio LFO all in one. All things I wanted a little extra of in this rack.

Once I got patching with it, I liked it so well I wish I had room for 2 in this rack.

It's the module on the far right.

I am absolutely dreading tearing this all back down for final paint and graphics.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  323 Time(s)

image.jpeg

LFLab

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually post my builds on a dutch forum, but here goes:
Yusynth VC quadrature LFO, finally working (yay!), no wiring.

A passive mult:

Ringmod and passive attenuators:

Serge resonant EQ, with board mount pots (almost no wiring):

Minimoog VCF and VCA:

Ian Fritz 5-pulser waveshaper:

Since you get 10 each when ordering boards, I have some left, let me know if you are interested (don't have boards left for all projects though).
AlanP

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
Yusynth VC quadrature LFO, finally working (yay!), no wiring.

Good one, quadrature LFO's are dead useful. Try using it as a clock source, with all inputs Smile

But I bet cutting the front panel for that switch hurt a bit Sad

LFLab wrote:
Ringmod and passive attenuators:

Transformer based?

LFLab wrote:
Serge resonant EQ, with board mount pots (almost no wiring):

How is this one treating you? I've been tempted to have a crack at a layout for this circuit (with no wires Razz Wink ) and I've been wondering how it differs from the Moog Fixed Filter Bank type modules, like the Yusynth one. My Yusynth FFB acts pretty much like a graphic equalizer.

LFLab wrote:
Ian Fritz 5-pulser waveshaper:

This module, I still don't recall what the heck it does. I should do a forum search and find out sometime.
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Alan, thanks for the comments, yeah hacking into that front hurt a bit, but I was committed to finishing it, finding a suitable switch is not easy, they are all pretty high off the board.

The ringmod is LM1496 based, pretty simple schematic, I initially also ordered Befaco boards, but there is a LOT of weirdness in there. So I chucked those and rolled my own, started with the schematic that Joe Beuckmann did (see layout section of this forum).

Regarding the resonant eq, it is pretty good. I want to make a FFB and have boards for it, but I want to make the variant using inductors, and am procrastinating on the winding of those. I imagine the resonant eq being sharper, the bands are also quite different so if you use it in a E-M context, it will generate a different sound, stacked sevenths instead of stacked thirds. I still have some boards, I think, it uses 9mm Alpha pots, and SMT quad opamps, it also "some" more room for styroflex caps, but the bigger ones (47nF and 22nF) you probably need to use regular film (matched preferrably, I didn't do that, but I think I'll go back to it one day and do that, some bands are sharper than others).

The 5 pulser is a pulse generator, think of a dot bar VU meter, if you send in a signal, at certain levels when a certain LED would light, it generates a pulse. 5 levels are chosen, spread across the amplitude range, the first one you cannot disengage, the other you can using the switches, yielding (slightly) different timbres. It's a pretty nasty waveshaper.
Cfish

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The pulser sounds intriguing.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a lot of you might have already seen it, but I built a case for my lunetta synths. Cool

more info and photos here

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Colourful!
Grumble

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An 8 channel drum module, based upon the awesome work of Jan Ostman.
The things I changed in his program is that the drums trigger on the leading edge at the inputs, and no accents.
The pitch is semi-fixed (with trimpots) so if I need, I can change the pitch.

(ofcourse I donated 3$ for his work!)

IMG_20160522_112300.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.03 MB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

IMG_20160522_112300.jpg

IMG_20160522_112251.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  186 Time(s)

IMG_20160522_112251.jpg

IMG_20160522_112312.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.02 MB
 Viewed:  200 Time(s)

IMG_20160522_112312.jpg

drums.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  drums.mp3
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Downloaded:  1067 Time(s)

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been meaning to build a CGS keypad scanner for years, finally got round to it. Outputs is in increments of semitones, whole tone (ie 2 semitones) and fifths. Forgot to make a hole in the front panel for the gate output!!!.

Also put a cannibalised Korg tuner in the same module.

Peter

kepyad and tuner.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

kepyad and tuner.jpg

norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik's VCP Sequencer in Wiard 300-ish format:

It took a bit of debugging (mainly due to building some stuff wrong, plus v complex wire-up) now it all works. The panel is Scaeffer, prettified with some art-nouveau graphics I found online....somewhere and turned into hpgl via some tortuous process I've forgotten. It looks very nice sandwiched between my Wiard sequantizer and envelator, and is enjoyable to play witrh.
AlanP

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norman, that is truly amazing! Shocked I love the construction behind the panel!
Grumble

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A small passive board that helps to patch a (solderless) breadboard to my synth.

IMG_20160611_100056.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.92 MB
 Viewed:  180 Time(s)

IMG_20160611_100056.jpg

IMG_20160611_101334.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.6 MB
 Viewed:  180 Time(s)

IMG_20160611_101334.jpg

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a re-house of the main control box for my crazy speaker installation piece called The Sweet32 Speaker Interrupter-Switcher Installation Thing (Ceci n'est pas la haute-fidélité)*.
I was attempting to include a few more features and improve the amplification part. Previously I had used the LM386 (I had only been doing self-taught electronics for 2 years at that point), and this time I went for a TDA2030A-based kit, but I think that wasn't such a great choice finally either.

Since I didn't want to re-do the entire circuit, I kept the old boards (seen in the center), bypassed the old amp section, and added in the new board on the right (which consists of a couple of PICAXEs, a 4066 plus a simple white noise generator). A buck converter turned out to be a bad idea, generating noise, so I had to squeeze in a separate transformer to power the logic part.

So it's quite the Frankenstein monster in there. I couldn't find an appropriately-dimensioned box, so I made one of Baltic birch plywood.

The installation consists of two panels containing each 47 speakers, 16 of which are wired to the control box, which can interrupt the sound on each channel independently, and randomly select which speakers are active at any one time.
An "Automator" box generates the frequencies that are played, as well as slowly changes the speeds of the interruption and randomness.

If anyone in the Montreal area is interested, it's on display at OBORO thru June 18th.

www.jamesschidlowsky.ca/sweet32.html

.:James:.

* "This is not high fidelity" in French.

Sweet32 - new control box stack 1 1024.jpg
 Description:
New control box stack for the Sweet32 speaker installation... The box on top is the Automator, and it sits upon the brand new control box rehouse.
 Filesize:  291.85 KB
 Viewed:  200 Time(s)

Sweet32 - new control box stack 1 1024.jpg

Sweet32 - inside box with outside wires 1024.jpg
 Description:
Inside the main control box.
 Filesize:  292.6 KB
 Viewed:  193 Time(s)

Sweet32 - inside box with outside wires 1024.jpg

Sweet32 at Oboro 1 cr 800.jpg
 Description:
The Sweet32... Speaker Installation overall view.
 Filesize:  303.75 KB
 Viewed:  188 Time(s)

Sweet32 at Oboro 1 cr 800.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice installation James :-)
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simple phase shift oscillator producing a clean sine wave for comparison purposes when trimming the sine output of a VCO. Not going to see much use, but handy little circuit. Based on Elliot Sounds' miniosc.

The timing resistors are mounted in a DIL socket so they can be swapped out, giving a range from 150HZ to 15kHz.

Scope shots of the sine wave, and FFT showing the second harmonic down about 50dB, and the 3rd harmonic in the noise. (Mainly to show off my new scope, Rigol 1054 - liking it a lot Smile )

Sine oscillator.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB
 Viewed:  171 Time(s)

Sine oscillator.jpg

Sine Wave.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.27 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

Sine Wave.jpg

Second harmonic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.16 KB
 Viewed:  166 Time(s)

Second harmonic.jpg

Third harmonic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.43 KB
 Viewed:  164 Time(s)

Third harmonic.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: