electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
breath controller
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jean-Philippe Rykiel

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:  breath controller
Subject description: Looking for the quickest response possible on the G2 with a Yamaha breath controller
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
Hope this is the right place to post this. I have a Yamaha breath controller hooked up to the G2 via a MIDI solution breath controller box and its power supply of course. It is said to send after touch and, on the G2, I am using morph to assign it the desired parameter
It all works well, but the response is quite slow. The attack, instead of going ta ta ta, is going wa wa wa…
Does anyone know if a quicker way exists?
Best regards,
JPR

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
Are you sure than you cannot change the env curve on the Yamaha breath controller ? I don't know about breath controller but generaly MIDI keyboard have a couple of preset to adjust env curve.

Have you tried with another synth too ?
Jean-Philippe Rykiel

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.
I'm usually using my breath controller with a Yamaha CS01, which is totally analogue. That means that the breath controller doesn't have to suffer the midi artefacts due to the 128 steps. The staircase effect is probably smoothed inside the G2, which slows the response. I don't know if there is a way around that, this is beyond my skills
I don't think changing the curve would help, though I could try on my MIDI solution breath controller box, but I really do not think it would make the response any quicker.
Thanks,

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I no longer own a G2, but if memory serves correctly, the overall response of the morph assignments becomes increasingly sluggish as you add more of them. When multiple slots are active, all with many assignments, it can become pretty bad actually. (I think the same holds true for MIDI continuous controllers assigned to knobs, but I'm not sure anymore.)

If you want super-fast response, use the performance controller outputs from the device module and hard-wire your desired control routings into the patch directly using mixer modules. This requires more effort obviously, but has the benefit that you can label the various modulation amounts for different destinations and group them together on the panel for ease of use when fine-tuning the responsiveness of the patch.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: