electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2016 Builds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

JH's Wasp VCF Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Experimented with a PCB-material front panel. Seems to work so far. Only part that really bothers me is that I forgot M3 mounting holes, and had to resort to zipties (ugh).

Really nice, unique filter.
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built 2 Echo Rockets from MFOS (Music from Outer Space). I decided to remove the Echo portion of the circuit on one of them. This small unit has a really nice filter with CV control and external input.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.MFOS Echo Rocket minus the Echo by sndbyte, on Flickr
stringsthings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Echo Rocket looks really good. I'm just finishing up a MFOS mini-synth ( 1st version ).
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's indeed a great looking rocket sndbyte Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comments. Just for comparison, here is the original MFOS Echo Rocket I built. The Echo distorts on this pretty easily which is why I removed the Echo from my 2nd unit.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.MFOS Echo Rocket by sndbyte, on Flickr
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally completed building and de-bugging my MFOS 16 Step Quantized Vari-Clock Sequencer! Definitely the most complex module I've built - three boards: digital, vari-clock (stacked above each other) and analog, plus a small distribution strip.

I added a second channel (which just required a few more diodes), and also replaced the D-to-A clock rate resistor with a 50k trimmer. Getting the timing to work properly so that no and one steps behaved was a nightmare even with an oscilloscope.

A lot of board to panel wiring....

Well worth the effort though!

Peter

MFOS vari-sequencer #3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MFOS vari-sequencer #3.jpg

MFOS vari-sequencer #2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.84 MB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

MFOS vari-sequencer #2.jpg

MFOS vari-sequencer #1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

MFOS vari-sequencer #1.jpg

MFOS Sequencer panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.71 MB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

MFOS Sequencer panel.jpg

stringsthings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks fantastic. MFOS builds have lots of offboard wiring but they're fun to build and fun to play with. I'm currently building some MFOS modules that I think I'll put in a FracRak.
mush

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My favorite build so far this year - a cheap folding case:
AlanP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cases! They change things from expensive paperweights, to useful modules Very Happy

And that's a very nice one!
AlanP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulars in the chatroom will know that this has been brooding in my mind. It's nice to start to get some closure on the build.
Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice Alanp. I'm jelious of the progress everyone is making while I'm stuck working all the time right now.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the sequencer look great Alan Smile , nice one.
hopefulsynthesis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started to build a simple modular synth (my first one!) Everything is built on veroboard so far, mostly layouts from others here...for the VCF I made the layout as I couldn't find one anywhere else. The front panels are currently made from corrugated cardboard, and when I decide that I like a module I will make some proper panels up.
I have also started to make the PCBs for a MiniMoog clone and designed an 'in the style of Model D' mod wheel which i've 3d printed, I'll put some pictures up if anyone wants to see them. For the PCBs I tried toner transfer first but wasn't getting on very well so bought some cheap photoresist film and am really happy with the results but it is a bit tricky to apply it.
hopefulsynthesis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As you will see things aren't very pretty at the moment, but it makes noises! The VCF is the state variable one from Ray Wilson's Make book.

8Step Sequencer.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  812.63 KB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

8Step Sequencer.JPG

13700 VCF.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.05 KB
 Viewed:  176 Time(s)

13700 VCF.JPG

Cfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had one of these when I was a kid. Got it for a dollar at an auction. Redid the pads, cleaned it up. My 5 year old daughter loves it as much as I loved mine.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  655.97 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

image.jpeg

LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wasp clone...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice movie!

Would he run out of solder ... no he manages .. ah no .. new roll needed :-)

dave the butcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject:  Here, my fixed filterbank. Yusynth board. Sounds awesome. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Again, yusynth rocks!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  185 Time(s)

image.jpg

LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
Had one of these when I was a kid. Got it for a dollar at an auction. Redid the pads, cleaned it up. My 5 year old daughter loves it as much as I loved mine.

a "Magnus"? I have two smaller ones, one with chord buttons found at a thrift store, and a much smaller one I got from someone in the family without chord buttons (a 110v one, which needs a transformer overhere).
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have rested my soldering iron for a few months this summer, but now started to fill the next "cabinet" with modules.
So far there's one of Ray Wilsons (R.I.P.) Bipolar Wallwart PSU's, the Korg Ps3100 Triple-Resonator Clone based upon the schematics by Fonik (did a mix of some of some components from the schematics), 3x resonant LPG's and a Serge style Smooth and stepped Generator.

Started monday to build a clone of the Buchla 258 VCO based on the schematics floating here somewhere around (those with some notes by Jerk)
Well tracking over 5 Octaves was no problem... used only 3906 unmatched and with an KTY sensor instead of Tempco and as i want to save my remaining CA3080 for an TZ VCO somewhere in the future with an half of a LM13700. For the other trannies i used another 3906 and the other pair was two 3904... both FET's i used SK30.
Here i guess starts my problem... the waveform switching i solved with reducing the 680K resisitors down to 430K. Well the Saw is not as much wavy and fold as in the original but you can see those 2 humpbacks. The one thing i can't get work is getting a nice sine wave otu of the shaper with the other FET.
I always have at one edge a small steep flank on the signal... as can be seen on the scopeshot...
Anyone used 2SK30 for this and solved it or any other recommendations for easily obtainable and cheap FET's?

Edit:
If i can't find a solution to get a better sine, maybe i should just use the sine shaper Thomas henry used in his 555VCO... good to have a spare half of a 13700 there... or simply just leave it as it is... well it's not ideal but unique... Smile will test/see/hear how it works and sounds with filters or wave shapers...
At least i should increase the level of the output to 5Vpp to match with my other VCO's...

IMG_01171.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  188 Time(s)

IMG_01171.jpg

IMG_01221.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  193 Time(s)

IMG_01221.jpg

IMG_01201.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  877.25 KB
 Viewed:  185 Time(s)

IMG_01201.jpg

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Buchla Sine is not very perfect anyway. The various trimmers all interact as well, so it's a case of tweak one, then the other till you find a waveform you can live with.
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah Okay, thank you.

As far as i noticed only the trimmer for the sine affects the sine really in my built. When the waveshape control is turned fully in the direction when it's a "sine" it stays a sine, no matter if i input a CV for Waveshaping or not vice versa goes with the saw... when i turn the pot slowly into the middle direction the effect of the Waveshape CV get's bigger and in the middle it is at it's highest effect turning form one to the other shape and then turing the pot further the effect goes smaller until it's only a sine or saw depending in which direction you've turned the knob.
Is this common within this VCO...? Well i think it's fine it safes me a pot for Waveshape CV amount if it works this way.

As for the trimming of the sine i know remember i have used a similar way to get a sine out of the EFM VC LFO... just a few different resistor values and probably another FET... It was just bit low 1Vpp and i had to push a bit up to a hgher level carefully without not making a triangle again...

But i really like the FM sounds this VCO is capable to produce... Really weird things can happen, but also as an normal VCO for leads sounds or so it's great...

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a while since I built a J3RK 258 but I definitely remember there was another trimmer that had significant impacton the sine shape.

And also that none of the wave shapes were anything like ideal.

I'd suggest looking on muffwiggler for the notes about J3RK's PCB offering to see if you can find other details.
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good Idea... haven't looked there yet... but i always thought that would be a more tech-talk orientated and less on DIY focused site...

But i registered there sometime ago and still have zero posts at Muffwiggler... Very Happy

Tried it again with matching my diodes and also the 1% resistors i already had as close as possible... didn't changed anything...
then tried to trim again and looked at the scope when these edge got smaller... after a time it didn't changed anymore... so i was at the end of my trimpot... now measured what i had between the wiper and the outer lug not used in the design... 0R so i possibly needed more than 20k... changed to a 50k trimmer and voila the edge went down an down and closer to a perfect sine... well 50 wasn't enough to close the gap but 100k i guess will do, try this later maybe... now also the saw is more closer to the original... fine Very Happy

Edit:
I realized that i build a mechanical vibrato in my 258 VCO clone.... When i wiggle my cabinet i have a slight vibrato on my tone... looks like a cold solder point... Rolling Eyes Laughing party!

LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might as well post them here as well

A Roland 100m EG clone:
Made my own layout and tacked on a end of cycle trigger, works really well, superb little envelope generator.

The CZ-1 phase distortion oscillator, with the CZ-1 IC from dspsynth/ janost.
Very nice VCO
Very tight layout

Builds from longer ago (don't think I posted them here)
Yusynth quadrature LFO

That Richardc64 multimode VCA

I still have boards for most of these PM when interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: