electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Raymond Scott Biography Tribute Project Wants Your Tracks!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 101
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Raymond Scott Biography Tribute Project Wants Your Tracks! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Calling all audio and video EM artists around the world to create their own audio and or video in tribute to Raymond Scott's Manhattan Research Inc.

Read the full project details here:

http://auralfilms.com/aural-films-biography-raymond-scott-tribute

Raymond-Scott-Biography-Final.jpg
 Description:
Raymond Scott Biography Tribute Project
 Filesize:  929.73 KB
 Viewed:  347 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Raymond-Scott-Biography-Final.jpg

airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip Jack, I want to give this a shot.
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Airlock! Would love to have you on board.

Hoping some more Electro-peeps here will get on board and help support Raymond Scott's legacy.

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure could use more support on this. Please consider joining the project to support Raymond Scott's legacy. The guy is a National Treasure, and it is tragic he's been passed over by history.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just looked at his bio page and it looks like a nice project. I already have too many projects--including attempting to get back into making music. I completely tore down my wooden desk pile of synth modules (audio patch bay and 8x8 midi router included) and just set up a new stack of modules.

After reading a bit about Raymond Scott, I'd like to try to listen to his music and see if I can emulate something at least vaguely related. I tried downloading the sheet music, but since they are hosted at drop box (and I don't have or want an account), I cannot seem to get the direct downloads to happen. Perhaps others with drop box accounts can check out the scores--which seem to have been posted 2 months ago.

Having grown up with cartoons, I am sure I heard what WB did with his music; and his Electronium looks interesting and innovative--I will have to read more about it.

Steve

Update: Call it stubbornness, or perhaps persistence, I finally figured out how to download some of the scores--esp. the four under Electronica. While I am not a sight reader (I cannot easily play something from seeing the notes without spending a lot of time figuring it out), I did get a sense of some stylistic features. It might be fun to try to emulate some of those once I get the new wooden desk mini studio setup. Now to find some audios!
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"We have a collection of vintage and contemporary arrangements of Raymond Scott’s works. These charts are not commercially available, but we provide them in pdf format at no charge to interested musicians, conductors, bandleaders, and academic groups. We have arrangements for piano, sextet, and/or small orchestra (12-15 parts), as well as several larger arrangements, some unusual instrumental settings, and some basic lead sheets."

One thought was to look for midi files [there certainly music be midis of the cartoon music somewhere at least] and just re-orchestrate them, or maybe to midify parts of the scores, but I am wondering if that is OK for this project--it seems like the actually music is still under traditional copyright rules.

BTW, who was it that for a seasonal event here a few years ago did a piece that featured actual audios from cartoons embedded in a contemporary performance? (I have an idea and will look that up.)

Steve
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will give my Raymond Scott records another listen to see if I can get some inspiration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love this line from Mark Mothersbaugh: "He's not only the Frank Zappa of his time . . . ."

from the trailer for Deconstructing Dad at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJlnNqSHt0

What a nice compliment from one innovator referencing another innovator about yet a third!
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW!!! Listening to Soothing Music for Babies now--electronica geared towards babies!!! Hard to believe that was 1962-1964--minimalistic electro-ambient background with meloldic improvisations (beginners trance for the soon-to-be acid generation?)

Addendum: http://deadelectric.com/post/77195612103/experiment-does-raymond-scotts-soothing-sounds
airlock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems a natural for the bleeps and bloops crowd, I'll post at Muffs maybe get some more interested.

When I considered Scotts material that I've been exposed to over 62 years I began to understand how I ended up *here* in the first place! And another thought: I may have heard that one section of "Powerhouse" more times over the years than I heard "Stairway to Heaven" and Inna Godda Da Vida" combined. Very Happy

On the site they seem to want us to focus on the electro end of the Scott spectrum:

We want to hear and or see works that are highly evocative of both the vintage Manhattan Research sounds and your modern ones. Ideally, your piece may be trying relive one of Raymond Scott's concepts with your own circular sequencer design, imagined Electronium piece, or Clavivox fantasy. Or perhaps compose a sound logo or commercial for your favorite company or product (real or fictitious), are just some examples of what you and Raymond Scott might do. Don't get carried away. With only one or two minutes to compose your piece. You have just enough time to compose something short and sweet.

I've listened to all the Manhattan Research stuff a number of times, and made a number of runs at this now, and I am finding that invoking Scott to be more of a challenge than meets the ear.

Scotts' work in the MRI stuff leaves a lot of air- most instruments have a percussive-like short duration, and there are not many different sounds used in a piece, whereas I tend to be a little dense (in every sense) so, uh, back to the drawing board.
airlock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Deadline extended
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deadline has been extended to August 30, 2016
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: