electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Simple DIY analog hihat module
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
adamstan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Simple DIY analog hihat module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Smile

Last saturday I've built very simple analog hi-hat module. I made it on perfboard, using parts that were laying around. It is similar to circuits used in analog drum machines, like DR-110 etc - four squarewaves mixed with white noise, then little-resonant HPF. Trigger/EG circuitry is loosely based on Simmons, and VCA is simple single-transistor Korg circuit.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Schematics:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I didn't have any Schmitt inverters at hand - that's why square oscillators are built around TL074 opamp.

As you can see, signal from footswitch input is converted into positive trigger pulse, and fed into trigger input as well. That way pressing down the footswitch ("closing the hihat") produces sound too, instead of only switching decay time.

Module is meant to be played from pad and footswitch - I built as an expansion for my electronic drum kit based around polish EDD5 analog drum synthesizer from late '80s. The "brain" has external audio input, and power output (+-15V on DIN5 connector), so they integrate nicely.
Here is short demo of whole kit. First half is from camera mic, second - from line in. Please forgive my sloppy playing - I had quite long (over 6 years) break from playing any kind of drums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjRsVhy--vM
tasteless

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

COOL !
Nice choice of circuit elements - I have been intending to do something similar for a long time But , other stuff keeps getting in the way.
That Simmons switching looks VERY interesting.
Ayab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for sharing your design. Great little circuit. I am interested in building this as I am beginning to understand schematics. Not sure I am yet able to do the layout though but will give it a try when I have time.
adamstan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget to put decoupling capacitors on power supply pins for each chip (100n to ground should be OK) - they aren't drawn on schematics.
Ayab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok will add a note to the schematic thanks for confirming that
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: