electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
NANDulator
Page 4 of 5 [117 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even on a small one - wild Shocked
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing synth and super cool video! I want one!

Are you selling kits?

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
Amazing synth and super cool video! I want one!

Are you selling kits?

yes, and I still have 2 kits left.
http://stickneysynthyards.000space.com/NANDulator/index.html

For anyone wanting to order, keep in mind that the amount in stock displayed might be incorrect, see:
http://stickneysynthyards.000space.com/shop/index.html

When I have some more money and if there is enough interest I can make more kits available.
I did already get a bunch of HEF4093 chips very cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New NANDulator kits are in stock Razz
I made another batch of 10 and 2 have already been sold so there are 8 left at the moment. The amount in stock shown on the site is a bit lower
than I actually have because it only gets subtracted after I processed the order. So if there are multiple orders at once it could happen that they
are already out of stock while it doesn't yet say so on the site. By making the amount in stock a bit lower than I actually have there is a bit of a buffer.

note that on this version the silkscreen mistake of the first batch has been corrected.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: NANDulator HBM01 module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To celebrate robsol' s recent birthday I made him a little module that plugs onto the NANDulator and plays happy birthday through it.
It gets its power from the NANDulator and the happy birthday melody signal is connected to one of the inputs of Oscillator B so it
modulates the other oscillator build around the same NAND gate. Here's a video he made with it Razz

The circuit itself is actually pretty simple. The melody chip I used comes from a small candle that plays happy birthday when you light it.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
It had two small metalized strips attached to it with some insulation between them and they melt together when the candle is lit.
I removed the strips and just bridged the 2 contacts together with a bit of solder which causes it to play continuously. It works on 1.5V
although it might be able to use a higher voltage, but I didn't test that. So the first part of the circuit is a LM317L voltage regulator to
create a 1.5V supply derived from the power of the NANDulator.

The output of the melody chip is a PWM squarewave but because it is powered by such a low voltage the signal is too low to
trigger the NAND gate. To fix this I used a comparator made with an opamp which also cleaned up the squarewave a bit.
Normally I'd use a voltage divider made with 2 resistors to set the reference voltage but because the NANDulator can take
a supply voltage from 9-12V it would also change this voltage. So instead I made use of the voltage drop over a diode to
create the reference voltage. 1 diode didn't work but 2 in series was just right. I used a dual opamp because of the pin layout
and wired the unused one as a voltage follower attached to whatever was most convenient which turned out to be pin 6.

here's the schematic and some photos of the module + packaging:

NANDulator module - HBM01.gif
 Description:
NANDulator module: HBM01 schematic
 Filesize:  32.13 KB
 Viewed:  814 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

NANDulator module - HBM01.gif

NANDulator HBM01 - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.21 KB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

NANDulator HBM01 - 01.jpg

NANDulator HBM01 - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.46 KB
 Viewed:  645 Time(s)

NANDulator HBM01 - 02.jpg

NANDulator HBM01 - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.39 KB
 Viewed:  617 Time(s)

NANDulator HBM01 - 03.jpg

NANDulator HBM01 - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.46 KB
 Viewed:  606 Time(s)

NANDulator HBM01 - 04.jpg

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was a lovely surprise! Laughing

I am always impressed by your builds PHOBoS, no matter the size.

Cfish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way cool as usual PhoBos.

I am having a blast with my nandulator.

I decided to try putting mine in a case. No where near done, but this is the idea.

The main in out pin header will be accessible from the side.

I missed the LED matrix cut out by a little, but this will make a great pattern to get it right in a final build.

Or I may just take it back out all together. Not sure yet.

IMG_0733.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  659 Time(s)

IMG_0733.JPG

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to hear you are having fun with it Very Happy

Did you remove the power connetor to make it fit ? I know that when I tried to design a plexiglass cover for it that was in the way.
The slide switch might also be a little bit high but you could easily replace it with a toggle or just leave it out althogether. To clean
up the cutout it would probably look really nice if you put some red transparent plastic on the inside, lighting gel would be ideal for this.

Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was not sure this was what I wanted, so I shaved the power connector down with a razor knife, same thing with the switch, scored it carefully with a razor knife, then cut it shorter with side cuts.

That made it fit without any major modification, just in case I decided I didn't like the idea.
programchild

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had another go on my nandulexor idea and it goes as follows:

send osc1&2 to exor. the result goes to exor with osc3, result goes to exor with osc 4, this result is the final signal.

additionally I took the caps of osc1&2 to a pot before going to ground.
this gives overall pitch control, but it also will cause a short and immediately blow the exor. I have to find a solution here.

connecting osc1&2 by their pot's middle pin gives a nice sync effect, here will be a switch.adding counters providing clock divide might come to mind next.

my goal is to make it create pitchy noisy rhythms...
this is the coolest project ever!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm did you edit your post ? I remember something about using LEDs and I was going to mention that making an oscillator
with an XOR gate will probably not work. Yes, chaining XORs and oscillators can do some very interesting stuff Laughing
Not sure how adding pots in series with the capacitors actually works, it will limit the charging/discharging current but will
probably also act as a voltage divider which might cause some problems if the voltage stays between the treshold levels.

I don't know what is blowing the XORs unless you have a feedback loop without a resistor in between (don't attach the
output of a gate directly to its inputs). Anyway, good to hear you are experimenting with it as that is what I posted the circuit
for in the first place Wink

oh, and
welcome party!

Last edited by PHOBoS on Wed May 24, 2017 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
programchild

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks phobos!
I am really having a longtime blast with this.
I abandoned the exor and went for a 4017 instead.
The oscillator outputs are used to drive it (osc1 to clock, osc2 to reset, osc3 to enable). I make it run 4 steps only, driving a rgb led. funny colors at audio rate! these 4017 gates are then added to the osc gates. that brings interesting rhythms and sub-timbres.

I also (optionally with a switch) short the ins and outs directly at the chip with rgb leds. different positions yield different effects, I assume mostly by shorting gates and stealing voltage? so by stealing voltage/lowering pitch the led will give you focus on several rhythmical things...micky mouse logic at work!

Right now I am trying different things to have continuous modulations.
This might be a small env driven by a slow osc, bt no luck so far.
I also built some vactrols, but I have no luck slowing them down.
A example would be: 4017 step 1 goes through an led to a pot and then to the vactrol LED with a cap to ground and then an opamp buffer?

I am working on a schematic in easyEDA, but its my first one, so it looks still awful. One day I plan to make my own pcb, by using a schematic/pcb/provider solution, but it seems to be a long way..
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure it's well known by nandulator experimenters but this *premier* circuit loves being voltage starved. Kinda like the ol' 40106 VCO that has a control voltage input to pin 14... the 4093 reacts very similar.

In my latest project I built two nadulators both with a pot that can swipe between supply voltage and and CV. Works very well when connected to my baby 8.

Further experimentation has led to me find the greatest weirdness when I drive the nandulator supply voltage off the output of a simple 4046 vco fed by all sorts of weird stuff. The 4046 output hits the first pole of my starve pot, pole 3 is Vss, and the center, pole 2, hits the power input to the chip. Very cool: numerous amazing values to found between the CV and Vss which all seem to filter, amaze, and bedazzle.

I feel a tad ashamed to bump an old thread but i've been sipping scotch. That, mixed with the recent high from building earlier today, has me typing. I don't think it's been mentioned but I'd argue it's an essential and easy mod to any future nandulator builds.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea Very Happy , I actually never tried it myself. Because I have the simple LED scopes attached to it,
it would require some hacking. Did you buffer the output of the 4046 ? The circuit doesn't require much
current though so it's probably fine.

oh and don't worry about bumping old threads, it isn't frowned upon here.
(and bumping this thread is always ok of course Wink)

NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GREAT STUFF!!!
NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

quick question on this schematic: http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/nandulator_11_138.gif

what if i put in a LDR instead of the 100k pots and 1k resistors on U1d and U1c? wouldn't that make for some crazy semi-uncontrollable noise?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NOISEBOB wrote:
quick question on this schematic: http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/nandulator_11_138.gif

what if i put in a LDR instead of the 100k pots and 1k resistors on U1d and U1c? wouldn't that make for some crazy semi-uncontrollable noise?

yes, that would make it semi-uncontrollable Laughing
Not sure if it would be an improvement as small changes and the relation between the pot settings can make quite a difference,
but feel free to try it. An LDR connected to U1b works great, especially when used as a vactrol.

NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
NOISEBOB wrote:

, especially when used as a vactrol.

That's exactly what I was thinking.. using a 555 to make a LED flash and fade, maybe even use two (atari punk console style).
NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so.. something like this: Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That'll work but I wouldn't switch the pot out. Instead just switch the LDR in parallel so you can set the maximum resistance
which works somewhat like a modulation depth control.

NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I kinda realised that thinking about it in bed, it kept me awake. Very Happy

Had some other ideas too.. will post updated circuit later.
NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

i'm thinking about making 8 of these ... for modular action nand unit
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suggest you breadboard the idea, to confirm that this will make worthwhile sound.
As an engineering procedure it could be informative; I found that ldrs aren't that musically suited to NANDulators from my point of view, saving a lot of unnecessary building.

R
NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piedwagtail wrote:
Suggest you breadboard the idea, to confirm that this will make worthwhile sound.

i did and it's wonderful/awful.

piedwagtail wrote:
As an engineering procedure it could be informative; I found that ldrs aren't that musically suited to NANDulators from my point of view, saving a lot of unnecessary building.

R

i think they are pretty good for rough beats when a flashing LED is added to it.........

i will need to breadboard a bit more as i'd also like to make it triggerable. by a sequencer or hitting a piezo disc.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, for 'beats' they work great, not so much for tuning.

As for the schematic,. what you've drawn would function as a standard oscillator since pin 1 of the NAND gate is high at all times.
Your input can't really do anything apart from shorting out the supply if the pot is at a very low resistance. You could add a resistor
between pin 1 and +9V in which case it could function as a gated oscillator and the pot might adjust the treshold level a bit.
It wouldn't NANDulate though.

Page 4 of 5 [117 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: