electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Buchla 200e Cabinet Rip-Off
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Power routing was the least of my problems. One PSU on the middle, three bus boards and a few holes to link it all together. The mechanical stuff was much more challenging!!!!

Of course, if I had to do it all over again, there are a lot of things I would change. It's the nature of the beast. But at a certain point, I wanted to focus on the parts that actually made noise.

Maybe next year I'll make a new case that's bigger and better, but for now it's all about sonic results.

Spir4L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lanxe wrote:

The boats are the ones I think ericcoleridge was referring to from mouser. They are the 7"x17"x3" BUD prefab boats. They are great. The total weight is very manageable, I cant say the exact weight as I dont have a scale. But I will say that it is rather light and I dont think there would be any issues with taking it on a plane.

Hi, I'm trying to build a case like yours but for eurorack modules! I've seen your BUD prefab boats and it would be very good if I could find some similar boats but with eurorack dimensions! By the way I can't find anything good!
Can someone help me? I think the correct dimension should be something like:

5.5 x 17 x 7 (inches)

Am I right?
julian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spir4L wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to build a case like yours but for eurorack modules! I've seen your BUD prefab boats and it would be very good if I could find some similar boats but with eurorack dimensions! By the way I can't find anything good!
Can someone help me? I think the correct dimension should be something like:

5.5 x 17 x 7 (inches)

Am I right?

Its irritated me before - hammond does a 17x4 inch case, but nothing in the 17" thats higher.

(edit - i have now re-read the thread, and got the answer i originally asked about depths - sorry!)

ericcoleridge wrote:

I was able to use readymade 3" deep alluminum boats (from Mouser), so I made my drawing to accomodate all three boats being 3" deep; However, I don't believe this altered the proportions at all. I can post my 1:1 drawings if anyone is interested. They're not exactly perfect--I'm sure--but useable possibly.

and...

cbm wrote:

It's about right, for some values of about. The depth measured from the top of the mounting rail to the inside back of the boat is 3.2165" according to my calipers.

The top and bottom boat are 2.575", measured the same way.

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are considering making this case for Eurorack, or any format where the PCBs are not parallel to the faceplate, you should really think it over. Actually, there is no maximum Eurorack spec for how deep the modules can go, and I've seen some very big PCBs for some projects out there. So at some point you'll have to decide how deep you want each boat to be.

The other thing to think about is what happens when you fold it. I had two goals for mine, both based on the realworld situation that I travel to gigs on airplanes often. One was that I could take it as carry-on luggage if I needed to. The other was that it would fit in a Pelicase 1560 (which I already owned) if I needed to check it in.

Incidentally, the folded dimensions of the case I made are quite close to those of a Doepfer A-100 "suitcase" with the lid on, except that I get three rows of modules instead of two, and in a 4U high panel format instead of 3U. This was only possible by using PCBs parallel to the faceplate though.

So making a folding case like this, with the depth of each boat big enough for some of the deeper Euro modules, plus the PSU and distribution boards, will make for an incredibly thick and very inconvenient case when you actually fold it up!

However, if the idea is to leave it at home, that's fine but then I wonder--why you need it to fold in the first place? Wink

mighty mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

going to make it euro! http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-46927.html

any help welcome!
memes_33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi- just joined this messageboard when i found this thread. building a 3x5-space buchla case and was hoping to get CAD files for this build? i have the boats (BEMI), just need the wood cutout templates. thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: