electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Measure volume
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wobble

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Measure volume
Subject description: Envelope Follower
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any way to convert an audio rate signal's volume into a control signal to simulate an Envelope Follower? I think it would work like the module Display, just output volume as signal instead of display it. I kinda looked at the modules but wasn't sure if any of them could do that by themselves. I have found some tips for patches that use those, and would like to try them.

I don't know some aspects of what an envelope follower does, since some seems to have knobs to control what they do. But for a simple one I guess could first use a Rectifier in full wave mode, then a lowpass filter, or is there smarter way?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically the envelope follower outputs volume. It does so by applying an asymmetric filter over a rectified version of the input signal. The Attack controls how fast it responds on up-going volume jumps and the decay controls how long it holds its value after a volume goes down.

This sort of filtering is needed as otherwise it would just follow the rectified signal, and as usually attacks are faster than decays the asymmetry makes sense.

There seems to be a trick with 'analytical signals' to get instantaneous volume information ... but I'm not sure how that could even work ... so maybe I should look into that at some stage. So for now, just use the envelope module.

BTW :: When you connect a bunch of internal signals to an output module, and then dtop audio execution, hit F4 and start a debug run there you get graphs of the signals - might be helpful to see what you are doing.

Wobble

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, I did not read the Envelope module description closely enough, thought it was another AR envelope. Embarassed

Thanks for the info, and I will try the F4 thing.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: