electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Populated the PCB, now what?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Kilombo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Populated the PCB, now what? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everybody,

I started a VCO project a while ago. Didn't know anything about electricity before but with the great help from extraordinary nice people at a local hackerspace I managed to get to a fully populated PCB by now.

However, due to some trouble at the space (it is closing down) and lack of time on my side, I couldn't manage to find out how exactly to test this thing, which I want to do before soldering all the jacks and potis and continuing with the front panel.

From what I gather I need to hook the thing up to a power supply and an oscilloscope and adjust the trim-potis to fit, according to the explanation on the Yusynth page (great one, by the way, thanks a lot Yves!).

What I don't know is how to correctly plug things together. I simply added wires to the board where I think it is absolutely necessary (everywhere where there is supposed to be current, ground and the sine output). Then I thought to connect the wires via alligator clips to the power supply or the oscilloscope, respectively.

Is my basic assumption right? Which type of power supply is usable here? Which type of oscilloscope? The last time I had access to the appropriate gear I was very lost and couldn't get people to help me with something this basic.

I just need to know the vocabulary and how to use the gear in order to be able to determine my next steps. (Like where to find the gear to provide +15/-15V and the right type of oscilloscope). So that when a new space opens up in my city I know what to ask for and how. Or maybe friends already have that gear lying around and I simply don't know that it is appropriate for that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
translucent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While waiting for a new hackerspace, you might want to build one of the following circuits to help you getting things up and running:
Dual power supply and combine this with an AC wall adapter to keep lethal voltages out
A sound card oscilloscope in order to use your computer sound card as a simple means to do some checking (but please be aware that this has its limitations)
Kilombo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot, that is some really helpful stuff. Seems like I can do that without any help. Bang good even has free shipping to Germany!

Have a good one.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

translucent wrote:
Dual power supply and combine this with an AC wall adapter to keep lethal voltages out

That's really a cheap price for a wall wart PSU. Assuming the wall wart AC/AC Adapter provides enough current, how much stable current can this tiny unit handle? Can't find any ratings on that side.

Aottens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but that little power supply seems really useful! Does anyone know how to power this? I've read it can be done with both AC and DC, but what kind of an adapter do I need to get +15 and -15 VDC from it? For me it would be sufficient to only power 1 module at once so I can use this on my workbench for testing and troubleshooting my modules.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It can be powered by both AC and DC BUT it needs a dual supply to begin with. So either an AC transformer with
a center tap (or 2 connected together in series) or a dual DC supply. For a +/-15V supply you would need 2x15V AC or
2x 18V DC.

However, it is probably not very difficult to make a small adjustment so it can work with a single AC supply so you could
use a wallwart. You will end up with a circuit very similar to the one I am using:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The maximum current of the LM317/LM337 is 1.5A but you will probably need to add some bigger heatsinks for that.

oh and a belated welcome to Kilombo.
welcome party!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kilombo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that's a great direction this thread is going, not hijacking at all, since this is exactly the kind of thing i want to dive deeper into. Might have to rename the thread if this continues down that road, though. Thanks everyone and thanks for the warm welcome!

As soon as my kit arrives I will probably have some more questions until then, keep it going.
Kilombo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, without the adjustment that PHOBoS mentioned, two of these would do the trick to plug the dual power supply to the wall?

http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/1200000-1299999/001293403-da-01-en-SNT_EXTERN_40W_18V_2_22A_ERP_2.pdf
(the 18V version GS40A18-P1J, third column to the right
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a good idea ... those supplies will have the ground connected trough to the mains ground making it impossible to use it as a dual supply, it will end up as a short circuit when the mains ground is actually connected ... you could ground lift it .. but that's another bad idea for safety reasons .. and then these are switched mode power supplies which may not be a very good idea either.

I'd just use the idea given by PHOBoS and use an AC wall wart.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Illustration of short:

IMG_1257.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  335.27 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_1257.JPG

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: