electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Percussion modules
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Adis

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Percussion modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan I have one request it's about percussion modules snares claps and so on..It takes so much space when you are making a kick and hats..there would be so many in one instrument..more creativity less time consuming..so please Place them as soon as possible
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. yeah well .. I really have no ideas about percussion modules .. as in .. no idea how they work ... and to be honest .. I'm not too interested either in such sounds.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would maybe be interested though in improving a wave player thingie so it would be useful for percussive sounds .. if they wouldn't be useful for that as they are. Ideas about that are welcome :-)
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan maybe one idea: Do you know Labview?
This is a graphical programming language where the programmed "subroutines" are called VI's, as in Virtual Instruments.
One VI may be consisting of many other VI's, so you could make a VI that takes care of a complete communications protocol, like bluetooth, serial or even midi, and all you have to do is to send data to this VI and that takes care of the rest.
These VI's are "clickable" so they open up in a new window when you click on them and you could edit this VI.
On the right hand top is a (virtual) connector which is configured to receive the appropriate input and output signals.
These VI's are save-able so you may use them in other applications or may be send to collaborators/friends/colleagues.
So in WREN if you would use VI like subroutines, one could make a snare, base-drum, hi-hat or what ever and all you need to do is connect a trigger and maybe one or more CV-es and (an) output(s).
This way diagrams stay neat and small.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes, meta modules .. sub routines .. that is something I do have on my wish list .. not sure if it would solve Adis' issue and also ... thing is ... they would not only need in/outputs but also user settable parameters ... so that would require some module editor ... or automatic interface generation .. maybe from some formal specification file ...

ideas about how to do that would be welcome :-)

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad
Adis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something will come out I'm sure Smile
Adis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyways pls do try any alternative if you have anything on your mind
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok .. not sure if I can actually make this .. but this is the idea I'm working on:

In the patch editor you can select certain items and make them 'published'.

Any input module in the patch will have it's connected outputs always be published as inputs.

Any output module in the patch will have it's connected inputs always be published as outputs.

When you start the abstraction editor it will search the published items in the currently loaded patch. It will collect any found items in a newly created module.

The newly created module can be changed by dragging items around, also it is possible to add some simple new items like an image or a text. The item's properties can be changed with a property editor as well.

Currently the dragging of items works, the property editor does not work properly, it is possible in the visual editor to delete or duplicate stuff which would be no good .. and probably some issues I did not think about yet ... also it is not possible yet to translate such an abstract module into runable code, and I've no clear idea actually about how to do that .. especially as things could get nested .. abstract modules in abstract modules.

Anyway ... things would then maybe look a bit like:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it is possible to make some sort of a designer for custom modules, or abstractions, without having to make all the tooling myself.

There is some nice stuff possible .. in that public elements in the patch will show up in the designer, removing them from the designer makes them unpuvlic again .. some basic stuff can indeed be added to the designer, labels and pics basically ... can have inputs and outputs of all types too now (red, blue, etc.).

But there is some bad news too ... the designer allows for objects to be duplicated,which seems to make no sense for public patch objects, as the copy has no relation to the patch, however for manually added items its just handy .. also I've made it so that connectors from input or output modules are copied to the abstraction automatically .. however it is possible to delete them in the designer . .which again seems to make no sense ... it can be repaired tho when you accidentily remove something that should be undeletable ...

Also it is possible to set properties on design elements, and some of those make no sense, and some are not properly working .. maybe such should be possible only for the user added stuff .. dunno.

anyway .. mixed feelings about it.

I did not as of yet try if its actually possible to make a working abstract module from the edits ... I'll proceed with some tests on that, and then maybe later worry more about the editor quirks . at some stage I would have to write my own designer stuff to fix it .. still what is present now should allow for further experiments at least.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lil progress report.

I have rearranged stuff for the synth modules to make it possible to to generate an abstract module with runtime specified I/O and controls, bettered up the designer a bit to show relevant properties only (more or less) .. can save designed abstractions too now and reload them, so work needs not get lost .. found a way to uniquely identify user abstractions too .. so when you have the saved abstraction and the original patch it should be possible to construct something from that .. still a long way off .. but getting closer .. oh they do show up now on a user tab in the module selector (but not quite right yet) and help is generated for them too (better than the module selector) ...

anyway . still working on it, but its not really easy or something Laughing

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Showing the abstraction in the abstraction editor, as a help popup and it being inserted into the patch it was abstracted from (that' s another thingie to solve later on .. abstractions in abstractions .. and recursion .. yuck, but at least the patch editor allows for it now).

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also note how the exported stuff from the original patch is downlighted with a black border ... which will highlight into bright green when its selected in the abstraction editor .. so you can keep track of where stuff comes from .. there also is a toggle names button . which will modify the names in the editor to show module indices instead of the user editable captions.

Connectors on input and output modules with connected wires will always be exported to the abstraction editor. I've added some new modules to make it possible to import and export connectors of any type (not just audio).

Also, edits on controls in the patch editor will be sent to the designer, as the saved off knob position or selector index functions as a default .. which will be set on module load or when the select default menu item in a control is being issued/

.. just to give some examples of tricky details being involved Embarassed

Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice! Smile
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: