electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
simple 8 step sequecer for SL
Page 9 of 9 [204 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you powering the CD4016's from the same 5V as well ?
Since you are using an arduino you could also do a simple test to see what happens when you turn all the 4016 switches off.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
benuron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Are you powering the CD4016's from the same 5V as well ?
Since you are using an arduino you could also do a simple test to see what happens when you turn all the 4016 switches off.

Seems like I was using 10K potentiometers, switched for 100K and seems like everything is working and it should Very Happy
lagunitas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Another Troubled Sequencer
Subject description: ...it worked on the breadboard....
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howdy Gents!
I've been visiting this site for years and this forum has been a favorite. Its been said that the 4017 sequencer circuit is a rite of passage. Now that I've hit a bit of a snag in my sequencer build I pass another rite - asking for help on electro-music!

Please see attached, a basic 8-stepper with a 555 driving the 4017. The pulse from the 4017 goes through a 100k linear pot and then through a red LED with a 1.8V drop (instead of a 1N914 or other diode). In this way the LED gives a visual representation of the relative voltage passing through. I adjust voltage into the 4017 with a 317 so after the LED I have a 0-5V CV. This pulse is then level shifted by an opamp to a +/- 5V to work with other things...

I could swear this worked on the breadboard but now that it is all wired up on perf I get unsatisfactory behavior. Basically my nice linear pot acts like an anti-log pot so that in the first 5 degrees of rotation I have rapid voltage change and after that it flattens out. The level shift circuit behaves accordingly.

I've tried everything (?) to debug it! if I bypass the LED with a jumper the pot behaves the same way. If I run the 4017 off +9V the pot behaves the same way. If I place different value resistors in parallel with the pot, the pot behaves the same way. And when I say pot I mean all the pots, they all act anti-log.

I know the pots are regular linear - easy to measure! Just can't figure out how this pot change is happening! Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance!!

electro-music_schem.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  electro-music_schem.bmp
 Filesize:  552.29 KB
 Downloaded:  919 Time(s)

zaphod betamax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also do this circuit with other chips.
For example a clock a CD4520 and a CD4099.
Many ways to do the same thing!
Page 9 of 9 [204 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: