electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
"Little Gate" sequencer
Page 3 of 3 [68 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
vaktmesterj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to build this x8 in rows for a drum machine im making for my daughter, where each row triggers individual drum samples from a seperate module.

Does this "still" work, have there been any changes etc?

Any help/advice is greatly apriciated!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not aware of any changes, except for adding some fancy LEDs, and version 2.0 works.

You mentioned in the pm that you want to use it to trigger drum sounds from a tsunami wav trigger so I don't think you need
the short/long switch. Just hardwire it for the short pulses and that should work fine. The question is how simple/modular do
you want it to be ? because you could also leave out the external reset input and the x1/loop switch (loop is standard mode).

Of course you also need a circuit to provide a clock as it doesn't run by itself. With multiple circuits you could use a master clock
signal for all or have individual clock signals but this depends a bit on how you built it, which brings me to the next point.
It would be most versatile if you make several 'little gate' circuits, this has the advantage that you can set different lengths and
different tempo's for every circuit which can create some very nice patterns. A simple divider like a CD4040 could be used to
run them at different tempo's from one clock source but still have them in sync and you could add a rotary switch for each to
choose a tempo setting.

If however you want to keep it very simple you could get away with using just one 4017 and add more switches in parallel. You'd
also only need one row of LEDs. If you do that I would just use standard toggle switches (without center position) and add a
seperate row for reset switches. (or use a rotary switch, or leave it out if you don't want to change length). Since you mentioned
you want it for your daughter who is still very young this might be easier to understand then having a bunch of toggle switches with
3 positions.

Instead of toggle switches you could also use self latching buttons which might be a bit more kid friendly. They are available in different
colors some with built in LEDs. (for example these)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vaktmesterj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
You mentioned in the pm that you want to use it to trigger drum sounds from a tsunami wav trigger so I don't think you need
the short/long switch. Just hardwire it for the short pulses and that should work fine.

Yep no need for short/long.

PHOBoS wrote:
The question is how simple/modular do
you want it to be ? because you could also leave out the external reset input and the x1/loop switch (loop is standard mode).
Of course you also need a circuit to provide a clock as it doesn't run by itself. With multiple circuits you could use a master clock
signal for all or have individual clock signals but this depends a bit on how you built it, which brings me to the next point.
It would be most versatile if you make several 'little gate' circuits, this has the advantage that you can set different lengths and
different tempo's for every circuit which can create some very nice patterns.

This would be really nice, it doesnt have to be super-simple functionwise.

PHOBoS wrote:
A simple divider like a CD4040 could be used to
run them at different tempo's from one clock source but still have them in sync and you could add a rotary switch for each to
choose a tempo setting.

This would also be nice, but ive only done a couple of compressor DIY kits before so, my skills limits me to schematics and instructions as for now.
If you got the time, could you explain/draw it up for me?

PHOBoS wrote:
If however you want to keep it very simple you could get away with using just one 4017 and add more switches in parallel. You'd
also only need one row of LEDs. If you do that I would just use standard toggle switches (without center position) and add a
seperate row for reset switches. (or use a rotary switch, or leave it out if you don't want to change length). Since you mentioned
you want it for your daughter who is still very young this might be easier to understand then having a bunch of toggle switches with
3 positions.

The "reset" position; does it make the sequence start over at the beginning?

It would be nice with leds for each row which indicates where the sequence is at and - one row of leds which indicate which step is turned on. Is this easy to implement?
vaktmesterj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a quick sketch of a hypothetical 3U front panel.
If i loose the reset function, there could be a push-button with led as you suggest, which will free some space - but then again the reset function is nice.

edit: nevermind the 7 rows - there should be 8 but no room for it as of now.

any sugestions?

sequencer_sketch.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.9 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sequencer_sketch.png

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The "reset" position; does it make the sequence start over at the beginning?

yep. If you don't connect it (or actually connect it to GND as you shouldn't leave it unconnected) the 4017 will step through 0~9 and start with 0 again.
If you would connect it to one of the outputs, for example Q7 it well only step through 0~6 and then start at 0 again.

Quote:
It would be nice with leds for each row which indicates where the sequence is at and - one row of leds which indicate which step is turned on. Is this easy to implement?

Pretty easy to do if you use double pole switches, then you can just use 1 half of the switches to turn the LEDs on/off.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vaktmesterj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay thanks

Ill get the parts and build a proto to get familiar with the circuit.
Since im a beginner at this i have to ask where the power goes in?
I see the 5+v symbol on the schematic - but wheres the negative?

Edit: can i make it 8 steps, and just hardwire it to reset after the eight?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I see the 5+v symbol on the schematic - but wheres the negative?

It's a single supply circuit so in this case negative is the ground connection (what pin 8 of the 4017 and other components are connected to).

Quote:
can i make it 8 steps, and just hardwire it to reset after the eight?

yes, just connect the reset to Q8 (pin 9) so it will cound from Q0~Q7.

vaktmesterj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are these 1N4148?

little_gate_sequencer_v20_2027.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.14 KB
 Viewed:  495 Time(s)

little_gate_sequencer_v20_2027.gif

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep I used 1N4148 for those, but pretty much any diode should do (no zeners of course) so that's why I didn't label them.

Actually the ones on the clk and reset inputs are NPN transistors, not really critical what you use. I used BC547, but 2N3904 or similar is fine too.

vaktmesterj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of powersupply would you recommend? Can i use a eurorack?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anything between +5V...+15V will work so a eurorack PSU is fine. You only need the +12V and GND though and don't
connect any signals (like a clock source) to it that goes below 0V, or add a diode as protection.

synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You drew little red circles around the emitter diodes of the transistor symbols on the left side as well.
Mind that you should not insert diodes at these places in your circuit. The triangle is a part of the transistor symbol.
Inserting diodes at these places would increase your LOW logic level output and the circuit might not work.
CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like the use of on-off-on switches on each step!

Would it be possible to have one of the ON sides connected to the base.of a transistor which acts as a switch to send high/low to a logic gate, as well as gating the CV?

What I'm thinking is you could then have one ON triggering a long note (full clock cycle) and the other ON triggering a short note (half clock cycle). The OFF would mean no note.

If the transistor was used correctly could it be used to drive logic without affecting the CV, as in - acting as a buffer? You could tie each of the 4017 outputs to a common transistor using diodes.
CHRISKELLY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kind of like this

20180906_100329.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.2 MB
 Viewed:  234 Time(s)

20180906_100329.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that could work and depending on what you want to drive with it you probably don't need the transistor. Actually it might
be better to use an extra logic gate as a buffer for the CV instead. This way it doesn't matter if the output voltage of the 4017 is
affected by another load.

CHRISKELLY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tried this out and works if i send into either a 4081 or 4093. Strangely though if it went into a 4069BE inverter then this affected the CV alot.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm that seems rather odd, are sure it's a 4069BE and not a 4069UBE ?
Could you draw exactly how you connected it ?

CHRISKELLY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aaaaaand I'm officially an idiot

They're 4069UBE.

Guess that explains it Embarassed
Page 3 of 3 [68 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: