electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
CEM3340 VCO LMNC
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Project_2501

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: CEM3340 VCO LMNC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An other beautiful module from sam.

CEM3340 VCO
https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/projects/#/cem-3340-diy-simple/
VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kz8YopLTCQ&feature=youtu.be

Futher Reading
https://electricdruid.net/cem3340-vco-voltage-controlled-oscillator-designs/

Source of 3340s
https://electricdruid.net/product/as3340-vco/

I already went ahead and added the few features sam left out from the electric druid design. I skipped the High freg tracking pot cause I'm with sam, who needs it haha

I'm using the AS3340 in replacement of the CEM3340, so in result the pulse out with have a around 50k resistor. I'm testing this VCO this week. I'll post my build notes and recordings when I get there.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whats with this guy from lookmumnocomputer, he's sooo annoying
(this is a totally subjective observation...)

LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That furby organ is pretty epic though Very Happy
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Incredibly annoying, but obviously he has some good ideas for weird instruments. That is the reason I somehow enjoy his stuff, even if it makes me low key aggressive... Laughing
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, I like Sam's energy, and can-do attitude.

I will admit that I like him in small doses, though Smile

He's quite talented at what he does!
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's like he's high on something all the time...
Project_2501

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's high on life! Twisted Evil

I love sam though. He's the energizer bunny of the diy synth world, but also mad scientist.

He's irreplaceable, his designs/tuts are life savers for beginners like me.
Zorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
It's like he's high on something all the time...

Well He's definitely over-modulated ! Laughing

Joking aside - thanks for posting this - I'm at the beginning of building modules based on the Alfa(CEM) IC series & this is perfect for getting up & running.

Also thinking a quick, fast VCLFO by changing the 1n timing cap to 10n based on the DigiSound 80-2&3 schematic.
Project_2501

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please share that cem3320 Filter when you get a chance. I would love to add that to the list. More filters, MORE Better Twisted Evil
Zorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Project_2501 wrote:
Please share that cem3320 Filter when you get a chance. I would love to add that to the list. More filters, MORE Better Twisted Evil

My first filter is going to be the state-variable VCF from Thomas Henry's reprint collection http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-68068.html

"Build a Voltage Controlled State Variable Filter" / pg. #148 < actual pdf page number

It uses the 3330 instead of the 3320 - includes a pcb layout which uses the readily available TL074 for a total of 2 chips

There are several projects in the Reprint Collection that use Alfa/CEM chips and are worth a look:

The PAL Filter (3320) / pg. #92 (phase shifter & LP filter)

VCAs: Think Simple (3330) / pg. #84 (dual VCA)

A One Chip ADSR (3310) / pg. #124 (actually 2 chips)

These are not quite as simple as Sam's VCO project (except for the ADSR-3310) - but for my core build I want to stay with the TH designs and the Alfa/CEM type chips.

*And there's a wealth of 3320 info at https://electricdruid.net/multimode-filters-part-1-reconfigurable-filters/
Psalm37audio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: CEM3340 VCO LMNC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Project_2501 wrote:

I'm testing this VCO this week. I'll post my build notes and recordings when I get there.

I'm a total noob to electronics and this website. I can solder, follow instructions and buy components from a BOM. When it comes to knowing what needs a resistor and where to put it, I'm done for without clear visual direction.

So having a layout like LMNC has convinced me to build as it pretty clear.
However I would really like to get the pulse out probably by using a tl074 as an alternative, I think I can work that bit out okay
What I really want is a CV in for PWM, with a potentiometer for alternative PWM (will that require a trimpot? No idea) and if possible a fine tune.
So if your build involved all that lot then I'd love to see the layout.
I'm sure it's all very simple to someone that knows what they're looking at when faced with a schematic, but alas that isn't me.
Zorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PAIA Electronics sold several different CEM experimenter boards for the CEM-3340, 3310, 3320 & 3330 series - the boards / kits are no longer available - but the documentation is.

Good info, calibration & basic schematic for the CEM-3340

https://www.paia.com/TALK/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=148&sid=be58eafb1e3bb89a4739dfc722e8c53d

Also use the link in my post (above) for the Thomas Henry reprint PDF & go to page 118 (actual page #) for information on modifying the EKx-40 schematic (including info on Pulse control)
J-chot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: In regards to Sam's energy and persona... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In regards to Sam's energy and persona, It bugged the hell out of me too, also I didn't get it... until I saw my 10 yr old watching some of his videos.....now I'm super appreciative.

Also the whole "WE HAVE TO BUILD IT NOW" attitude really appeals to the adhd side of my brain....

the yelling...not so much.... it makes me want to do a synth series and call it "the Joy of DIY Synthesis" and talk like Bob Ross the whole time.

hushed tones.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: In regards to Sam's energy and persona... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

J-chot wrote:
the yelling...not so much.... it makes me want to do a synth series and call it "the Joy of DIY Synthesis" and talk like Bob Ross the whole time.

David Attenborough. He'd be the polar opposite of Sam.

I also like how Sam is kinda punk about the whole synth thing.
Thinredline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im totally agreeing with all of you guys on the Pro-Sam side. Hes pretty much one of the reasons of convincing me i can build this stuff. And i have, surprisingly well. Helped me understand a little bit more and i have zero background in eoectronics. psalm37audio and others, i suggest looking at other builds that use the 3340. Just make sure you pick one that has been proven to work. Found a schem for adding sine wave from some guys design but i didnt see where he said, "i think i made some mistakes but eh u figure it out..." I picked Thomas Henrys design and got sub/pulse, sine, pwm atten., Tons of other stuff pumping out of that lil chip. Its awesome!! LMK if u need help, i put it all on stripboard.
Project_2501

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for lagging everyone.

Procrastination from having to many projects is a real bitch sometimes.

I completed this module but haven't fired it up yet.

As soon as I get time, I'm going to fulling document the build to share.
kropo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Square out has been added now.

https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/projects/#/cem-3340-diy-simple/

Regards

Jake
Project_2501

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made this mod on my own but he added pwm cv in too with the pot wiring. I'm gonna make a bank of these VCO's when I get the chance. 3340's are cheap on ebay Smile
Thinredline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for what its worth, and for anyone interested, I made a sine wave output on stripboard for the 3340. I had posted it somewhere else a few months back. This is not my original idea, this is based off of the maximus vco.

3340 SINE OUTPUT.png
 Description:
3340 Sine Output
 Filesize:  163.85 KB
 Viewed:  695 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

3340 SINE OUTPUT.png

cslammy

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
Whats with this guy from lookmumnocomputer, he's sooo annoying
(this is a totally subjective observation...)

Annoying or not, LMNC gets a lot of views for the subject matter I think. It's impressive for something as geeky and specialized as synth DIY; I wouldn't have thought it even possible.

cslammy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: CEM3340 VCO LMNC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Project_2501 wrote:

Futher Reading
https://electricdruid.net/cem3340-vco-voltage-controlled-oscillator-designs/

Source of 3340s
https://electricdruid.net/product/as3340-vco/

I have been eyeing druid's SH101 design for a bit now. I always liked the way that VCO's in SH101 sounded.

Any ideas how to best derive -5, +14 etc from +/- 15V? I figured I could use a 7905 for the -5; tjat's easy, but not sure how to best get at 14V as It's low dropout from 15V.Voltage divider? How did Roland do this?

Project_2501

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mocking up this lovely VCO.

Debating to add yet an other TL072 for the Buffer ins for Hard/Soft Sync for Pin 6 & 9 on the 3340. Datasheet just has 1nf capacitors for the inputs for Hard/Soft sync. Should I bother with adding a TL072 or stay with the datasheet with the Capacitors?

After adding Hard/Soft sync to this VCO, it should be quite versatile VCO.

Ramp, Square, Triangle, Sine(going to add tri-sine), CV, PWM, Hard/Soft Sync.... Well thats is the goal at least.
cslammy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thinredline wrote:
This is not my original idea, this is based off of the maximus vco.

The maximus has pretty much the same the same ramp to Sine circuit fragment TH uses for his 13700 VCO.

I have built this converter a few times now, I had to increase the gain of the final Op amp stage by about 6DB, but otherwise it works great.

cslammy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Project_2501 wrote:
Mocking up this lovely VCO.

Debating to add yet an other TL072 for the Buffer ins for Hard/Soft Sync for Pin 6 & 9 on the 3340. Datasheet just has 1nf capacitors for the inputs for Hard/Soft sync. Should I bother with adding a TL072 or stay with the datasheet with the Capacitors?

After adding Hard/Soft sync to this VCO, it should be quite versatile VCO.

Ramp, Square, Triangle, Sine(going to add tri-sine), CV, PWM, Hard/Soft Sync.... Well thats is the goal at least.

Project, I have a friend who has built at least 3 of the maximus VCOs. I will ask him if he buffered those pins or not. Also, I am done with the schemo and am in the process of laying out a 3340 VCO based closely on the maximus. Happy to share it when I'm done.

Project_2501

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frequency Central PSU is alive!

Crying or Very sad

LMNC update cem3340 layout isn't 100%.... My waveform outputs (Triangle, sawtooth, and ramp) are humming Very Happy but my frequency pot isn't working. Tried adjusting the trim pot, no worky worky.....

Also, after firing it up, within minutes the ic's are hot to the touch! I'm going to cut an 2nd trace on the ic's(so I'll have 2 rows of cut stripboard hopefully curing any shorts that may be happening).

After I find the cure to the frequency knob, I'll try to use an lfo for the cv in see if that is functioning.

This is my first panel, after I get the thing humming nicely, I'll paint and post the pictures here.

If anyone has any input that will be amazing. I'm assuming the ic's are getting hot cause of a short somewhere. I did check my PSU is providing 12v/-12v. Hunt the continues!
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: