electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Devil's Triangle Drone Sequencer
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:  Devil's Triangle Drone Sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have seen an image of a stripboard for the "Devil's Triangle Drone sequencer" by PStevenson. I would love to make it but the image is too small to see. The image links to paulinthelab.blogspot but when I follow the link it says you have to be invited to read the blog. I have an image for the related "Devils Triangle Drone Synth". Any suggestions please?

ps (I'm new to posting, I think I've followed rules/etiquette so sorry for any slip-ups in advance) & (Sorry, I tried to attach the image I'm referring to but nothing happened when I clicked on "Add an Attachment")

***If you build this circuit, look out for the hard to see cuts under under R10 & R17***

Last edited by csj2k on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

did you try attaching a local file ? (doesn't work with urls)
maybe this is what you are looking for, just what I found with a quick search no idea if it is correct.

DTD stripboard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.91 KB
 Viewed:  868 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DTD stripboard.jpg

DTD schematic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  404.55 KB
 Viewed:  737 Time(s)

DTD schematic.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I clicked on "Add an Attachment" and it just scrolled to the top of the page - I was expecting it would open a dialogue to upload a picture from my laptop?

Those are the pictures I wanted to upload as reference so thank you, but there is a version with an integrated sequencer that I'm looking for a larger image of. I'm going to try to work out how to post the image or a link so watch this space lol
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the stripboard image I'm looking for a larger version of: This one (Link to google image search result)[/url]
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, when you click on "Add an Attachment" the page reloads and at the bottom of the page a field will appear where you can actually attach an image (or music).

so this one ? (FYI I used tineye.com to find a larger version)

Devils Square Sequencer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  340.31 KB
 Viewed:  1135 Time(s)

Devils Square Sequencer.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that's it! Thank you so much. I'm over the moon and a little embarrassed at the same time, I can't believe I didn't see how to post an image! Thank you also for the tineye link, a new addition to my search options.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you built it and it works you can use the attach function to upload a demo Wink

Do you happen to have a schematic of it, as I am interested to see what it does.
I couldn't find that with a quick search although I could reverse engineer it from the stripboard .
Guessing by the used chips I thinks it mutes/selects the outputs of the oscillators sequentially.
I also don't see a lot of pots needed for a sequencer that would control the frequency of the oscillators

csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
If you built it and it works you can use the attach function to upload a demo Wink

I certainly will. I don't have a schematic unfortunately and I haven't taken a detailed look at the stripboard yet. Did you spot the connections for pots & witches mid-board, although even then it seems very few pots for an 8 step sequencer + drone. The other thing that comes to mind but could be totally wrong is that some pots could have been replaced by switches in this variation.
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS, the image you found was titled "devils square sequencer" and I'd only seen it referred to as devils triangle

Using devils square sequencer as my search criteria I found a page with the schematic which I've attached to this post. The source is here

DD Sequencer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.03 KB
 Viewed:  1269 Time(s)

DD Sequencer.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great! thanks Very Happy
That confirms my suspicion as to what it does.

csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
great! That confirms my suspicion as to what it does.

I've only been learning about and making diy synths for about 8 weeks so could you explain please? With my limited understanding and a couple of guesses, I would say the analog switch is to select channel(s), the 100k pots for pitch & 2.2m pot (which seems like an odd value) for frequency?

I have all components except the quad op-amps but by happy coincidence have some TL074's on order. Do you know of any reason not to use LM3900's instead of TL074's or LM324's?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sure Cool

The 4 identical circuits on the right side are oscillators that produce a triangle wave. The frequency/pitch of these oscillators can indeed
be adjusted with the 100K pots. (the way they are connected seems to be a little bit unusual though). The diodes on the outputs of
these oscillators are for mixing the signals together without shorting them out. The result is that the mixed signal will be whatever
oscillator output has the highest voltage.

Before the signals are mixed together they all pass through 2 switches. The first switch is the 4066 the second one is SW1. With SW1
you can manually mute each oscillator. The 4066 switches are controlled by a simple sequencer made with the 555 and 4017.
The 555 is used as another oscillator (squarewave) and the frequency of this one can be controlled with the 2M2 pot. With those
component values the range is somewhere from 3Hz~140Hz (you can use this online calculator).
The output of the 555 is connected to the Clock input of the 4017. This chip is a decade counter and it just makes one of its outputs high
in sequence. Everytime it gets a low-to-high signal from the 555 output it will advance one step. Because the reset input is connected to
the 5th output it will only count to 4 and then restart. The outputs of the 4017 is what controls the 4066 switches so only one of the
oscillators is send through to the output This actually makes the diodes redundant.

The opamp at the the right corner is used as a buffer. It's configured as in inverting amplifier which is a great way to mix signals together
but that's not how it is used here.

some modifications/improvements/suggestions:
- a 10K resistor between the output and GND, this wil prevent any loud pops when connecting the device to a mixer/amplifier/efx unit whatever.

- configure the output opamp as a voltage follower. This way you can eliminate the two 100K resistors (R20,R21).
you could also remove the diodes (D1,D2, D3, D4) and the 10K resistor (R22) but you'd need them for the next suggestion.

- make the connections between the 4017 outputs and 4066 control inputs patchable/switchable.
using connectors and patch cables would give you the most freedom and also make it possible to use something else to control them in the future.
you could also use four 10-position (rotary) switches between all the outputs of the 4017 and the control inputs of the 4066. You'd also need
a fifth switch connected between the outputs of the 4017 and its reset input.

- buffer V+ with another voltage follower.
This will make the oscillators more stable but it might not be so easy to adjust on the stripboard layout.

- use different capacitor values for the frequency of the 555 (C7).
I think it wil be great at high (audio-range) frequencies but low frequencies will be fun as well. You could add a switch to select different values.

- if you use a smaller value for the 2M2 pot the range will be smaller but also more precise.
It would work well together with a switch for different capacitor values.

- a binary counter (like a 4040) instead of the 4017.
Not something that is easy to experiment with unless you build it on a breadboard or make the circuit patchable with connectors/cable.

- you can also make the Clock (and reset) input(s) of the 4017 patchable so you can control the speed with something else.

- maybe some LEDs connected to the outputs of the 4017, blinkenlights are always fun.

- check out the Lunetta section of the forum if you haven't already. Wink

Most of these require some modification to the stripboard layout but some might not be that hard to do.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

csj2k wrote:
LM3900's instead of TL074's or LM324's?

For a circuit like this the LM3900 should work fine. However, it has a different pinout so you'd have to change the stripboard layout.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
csj2k wrote:
LM3900's instead of TL074's or LM324's?

For a circuit like this the LM3900 should work fine. However, it has a different pinout so you'd have to change the stripboard layout.

I thought LM3900 to be a current amplifier (norton opamp) .. meaning it would need current limiting on the inputs, are you sure that would be ok here with inputs connected to V+?

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure, but I seem to recall having used them before and the circuit wasn't anything special but I could be wrong.
note that V+ is the Vgnd connection

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wondered the same thing as Blue Hell wrote, thanks for pointing that out, PHOBoS. It's a rather unusual way to label rails.

That kind of labeling makes it more difficult to understand the schematic (again IMO). IMO +V should be labeled Vgnd and what is labeled with a ground symbol should be labeled -6v with +12v relabeled as +6v. This would IMO be more clear and allows for an easy implementation of the circuit with a true +6/-6 dual supply - for which there are already regulators.

This kind of drawing is a bit sticky because it starts with a 12 volt source and converts it to what is essentially a dual voltage supply by creating the virtual ground. I'd draw it with the 12 volt and "ground" input rails through lines to circles or dots and from that to the Vgnd and +/- 6v creation network. In other words - show that it comes from a 12 volt source and that it is converted to +6v / Vgnd / -6v.

I know it is to some a rather minor point, but it facilitates looking at the circuit and knowing what it's doing a bit easier.

Now that I can see what it's doing, it looks cool.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh .. virtual ground - had missed that, that's better at least.

Thing is with the lm3900 the input voltages can not swing as far as for voltage input (regular) opamps .. the thing has a bit of an atypical low impedance input circuit.

Anyway. just wanted to let hear a word of caution, I'm not going to analyze the circuit to hypotize about what will happen.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with most of what you said Scott but I personally would keep it as GND/+12V and relabel V+ to Vref.
The reason is that the left side of the circuit is single supply (it doesn't make any use of the Vgnd) so using
-6V/+6V might add some confusing. Of course you could label that side with GND/+12V. Also the circuit has
an audio output so you want to use GND for that. With an actual dual supply you could leave out the AC
coupling cap and use the actual GND instead. Relabeling GND/+12V to -6V/+6V might also add some confusion.

In the end it's just a voltage potential and it might aswell be -40V/-34V/-28V Laughing

I am actually slightly surprised it uses 12V instead of 9V (which should work fine) as this seems like a typical
battery powered circuit.

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see using Vref instead of V+.

However, -112, -106 and -100 or whatever other numbers is just as confusing as the way it's currently drawn.

My problem with V+ is that there is no voltage associated with it at all. At least something like "Vref (+6)" would tell the builder what voltage should be there (for measuring in case the circuit isn't working).

The reason to use Vgnd for that rail is that for an opamp's functional summing node (which exists in the schematic), it makes sense to show an opamp's inverting input placed at (essentially) ground potential --- because that is what sets the summing node voltage. If you measure that referenced to Vgnd, then you will see zero volts.

I did write that I would have drawn it showing that the power coming in is 12v and 0v with a conversion network to what is actually a virtual grounded dual supply system with +6v and -6v rails.

Again, it's a minor point to some readers, but for people learning electronics, a clear and concise schematic makes that process easier. Heck - it confused me until I read what you wrote. Just sayin' Cool

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, PHOBoS, thank you so much for the time and effort you put in to explaining the circuit and improvements/modifications, I'm very grateful.

I think I'll end up making this circuit twice - once as is with the addition of the resistor on the output so I can see how it sounds/functions and then a second time with some of the more interesting & complicated modifications.
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built this layout and can confirm it works perfectly. I'll try to upload a sample once I have more time. As I mentioned, I'm a newbie to DIY synth building but I think this may be my favourite synth so far. The lower frequencies give you a very pleasing percussive sound and when combined with the higher tones, you can create some really groovy loops on the fly.

I ended up using the IC's specified in the layout because by the time I got around to making it I had all of them.
c1rcu1t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
sure Cool

The 4 identical circuits on the right side are oscillators that produce a triangle wave. The frequency/pitch of these oscillators can indeed
be adjusted with the 100K pots. (the way they are connected seems to be a little bit unusual though). The diodes on the outputs of
these oscillators are for mixing the signals together without shorting them out. The result is that the mixed signal will be whatever
oscillator output has the highest voltage.

Before the signals are mixed together they all pass through 2 switches. The first switch is the 4066 the second one is SW1. With SW1
you can manually mute each oscillator. The 4066 switches are controlled by a simple sequencer made with the 555 and 4017.
The 555 is used as another oscillator (squarewave) and the frequency of this one can be controlled with the 2M2 pot. With those
component values the range is somewhere from 3Hz~140Hz (you can use this online calculator).
The output of the 555 is connected to the Clock input of the 4017. This chip is a decade counter and it just makes one of its outputs high
in sequence. Everytime it gets a low-to-high signal from the 555 output it will advance one step. Because the reset input is connected to
the 5th output it will only count to 4 and then restart. The outputs of the 4017 is what controls the 4066 switches so only one of the
oscillators is send through to the output This actually makes the diodes redundant.

The opamp at the the right corner is used as a buffer. It's configured as in inverting amplifier which is a great way to mix signals together
but that's not how it is used here.

some modifications/improvements/suggestions:
- a 10K resistor between the output and GND, this wil prevent any loud pops when connecting the device to a mixer/amplifier/efx unit whatever.

- configure the output opamp as a voltage follower. This way you can eliminate the two 100K resistors (R20,R21).
you could also remove the diodes (D1,D2, D3, D4) and the 10K resistor (R22) but you'd need them for the next suggestion.

- make the connections between the 4017 outputs and 4066 control inputs patchable/switchable.
using connectors and patch cables would give you the most freedom and also make it possible to use something else to control them in the future.
you could also use four 10-position (rotary) switches between all the outputs of the 4017 and the control inputs of the 4066. You'd also need
a fifth switch connected between the outputs of the 4017 and its reset input.

- buffer V+ with another voltage follower.
This will make the oscillators more stable but it might not be so easy to adjust on the stripboard layout.

- use different capacitor values for the frequency of the 555 (C7).
I think it wil be great at high (audio-range) frequencies but low frequencies will be fun as well. You could add a switch to select different values.

- if you use a smaller value for the 2M2 pot the range will be smaller but also more precise.
It would work well together with a switch for different capacitor values.

- a binary counter (like a 4040) instead of the 4017.
Not something that is easy to experiment with unless you build it on a breadboard or make the circuit patchable with connectors/cable.

- you can also make the Clock (and reset) input(s) of the 4017 patchable so you can control the speed with something else.

- maybe some LEDs connected to the outputs of the 4017, blinkenlights are always fun.

- check out the Lunetta section of the forum if you haven't already. Wink

Most of these require some modification to the stripboard layout but some might not be that hard to do.

Hi PHOBos,

I know this post is old, but i have been exploring this circuit for a while trying to modify and add some new things to the circuit while learning about opamps and experimenting. I have read your suggestions, that sounded great to explore. Very Happy

I'm just building the oscillators part of the circuit without the sequencer. I adding some LFOs to it and a filter. (the original devil drone)
I'm powering this circuit with 9v battery, because it was indicated in the original circuit from paul (without the sequencer), but i would like to power it with Dc adapter, would it be okey to use Power Supply Adapter 9V DC with this circuit or should I change something? I'm asking because it uses a virtual ground, and have my doubts about when you can replace battery power with a dc adapter without changing things on a circuit. Maybe add a diode for reverse voltage protection?

Can use the second opamp available on the buffer chip of the output buffer, to do the voltage buffer of the v+? or should i use separeted one?
Would this improve the stability of oscillators if i added more oscillators and other circuits on the this instrument? Or it should be fine just with the resistors for the virtual ground?

Thank you!!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piupiupiu wrote:
would it be okey to use Power Supply Adapter 9V DC with this circuit or should I change something? I'm asking because it uses a virtual ground, and have my doubts about when you can replace battery power with a dc adapter without changing things on a circuit. Maybe add a diode for reverse voltage protection?

yep that should work fine as long as you don't exceed the maximum voltage of any of the ICs. A diode for polarity protection is never a bad idea
unless it has to be very efficient since there is a small voltage drop.

Quote:
Can use the second opamp available on the buffer chip of the output buffer, to do the voltage buffer of the v+? or should i use separeted one?
Would this improve the stability of oscillators if i added more oscillators and other circuits on the this instrument? Or it should be fine just with the resistors for the virtual ground?

yep you can use that opamp and that should improve the stability. There is a chance that the voltage will be somewhat affected by the output signal
if you use that opamp but it should be far less than just using resistors.

If you plan on adding more circuits that use the V+ then I would advice to build an actual dual supply as things might start interacting with eachother
though that could be a feature Wink Just try it out.

c1rcu1t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
piupiupiu wrote:
would it be okey to use Power Supply Adapter 9V DC with this circuit or should I change something? I'm asking because it uses a virtual ground, and have my doubts about when you can replace battery power with a dc adapter without changing things on a circuit. Maybe add a diode for reverse voltage protection?

yep that should work fine as long as you don't exceed the maximum voltage of any of the ICs. A diode for polarity protection is never a bad idea
unless it has to be very efficient since there is a small voltage drop.

Quote:

yep you can use that opamp and that should improve the stability. There is a chance that the voltage will be somewhat affected by the output signal
if you use that opamp but it should be far less than just using resistors.

If you plan on adding more circuits that use the V+ then I would advice to build an actual dual supply as things might start interacting with eachother
though that could be a feature Wink Just try it out.

Thank you so much for a quick reply! I'm learning a lot on this forum!
Yes, I think i'm going to use a 1n5817 to polarity protection!

Ok good, It was just to avoid adding more chips to the circuit, but yes I will experiment to use the output one for that, I have to wire it up keeping the cap like in the picture on attachment?
I'm just going to add more oscillators then, I was thinking to add a filter and an LFO to it, but maybe its better to do it separately on other box.

What dual supply you recommend building? I will search more about it.
Thank you ! Very Happy

photo_2021-01-24_17-10-45.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.66 KB
 Viewed:  111 Time(s)

photo_2021-01-24_17-10-45.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes just leave the capacitor in but I would reduce it to 100nF..1uF since there is practically no load anymore which is the nice thing
when using an opamp and the reaon it works. The problem with just using resistors without the opamp is that if the load varies it will
affect the voltage. And this can result in bleedthrough where you will hear an LFO while it isn't connected to anything or oscillators
syncing to each other which is generally not what you want for drones.

For a dual supply I would suggest using a wallwart one which takes a single AC voltage and converts it to a dual DC supply.
You can have a look at the MFOS one: http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/WALLWARTSUPPLY/WALLWARTSUPPLY.php
Normally I would recommend using adjustable regulators like the LM317/LM337 but for a simple circuit like this using fixed regulators
works fine. Adjustable is useful when circuits use the supply as a reference voltage for creating something like a 1V/Oct CV though
ideally those would use a seperate more stable voltage reference.

Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: