electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Causes of CMOS gate failure?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Top Top

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Causes of CMOS gate failure? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had two devices I've sent out come back with bad/failed input gates on CD4070 chips.

In both cases one of the inputs on one XOR gate was reading about .85v under the supply voltage (+12v supply) even when no signal was present at the input (causing a constant "on" at the gate output). The other input of the XOR pair was functional in both cases. There is no direct short from the misbehaving pin to supply.

It was a different gate on the IC in the two cases (though same IC position on the board), and there's nothing obvious wrong with the design (inputs have pulldown resistors and simply take input signals from other CMOS gate outputs).

Any thoughts?

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It could be electrostatic discharge while handling before mounting the ic's on the pcb.
An Analog Devices engineer once said during a talk that the best thing that could happen to an opamp when exposed to electrostatic discharge is to get defective immediately, because the electrostatic discharge can (and will) damage the opamp but the effect could be immanent but not immediately noticeable!
And what goes for opamps also goes for cmos gates...

Top Top

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
It could be electrostatic discharge while handling before mounting the ic's on the pcb.
An Analog Devices engineer once said during a talk that the best thing that could happen to an opamp when exposed to electrostatic discharge is to get defective immediately, because the electrostatic discharge can (and will) damage the opamp but the effect could be immanent but not immediately noticeable!
And what goes for opamps also goes for cmos gates...

Good to know. Yea I always thoroughly test everything before it goes out, and the failure was months into ownership in both cases, but interesting to know the damage could take a while to manifest.

In both cases the users also hadn't used the device in a while and then turned it on to find it was suddenly malfunctioning.

Also, I checked and the two ICs were from different batches.

These are SMD devices. I wonder if they have any greater tendency to become damaged.

Grumble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What also is possible in case of an eurorack system that the electronics draws a higher current of the +12 volt line, so the -12 volt line will keep its voltage longer as the +12 volt line which could introduce a negative voltage to the inputs when driven by an opamp that uses both voltages.
This will especially occur when the main switch just switches off the mains supply to the psu, so it is always better to have a switch between the psu and the rest of the system.

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Overvoltage, reverse polarity, excessive heat, cracked or broken surrounding package and static discharges.

When I worked for DEC we watched a movie made by DEC engineers to demonstrate static discharge.
Two engineers stood a few yards apart, each has a transistor tester box.
Neither engineer wore any static discharge protection gear.
One had a CMOS transistor.
He tests the transistor which shows good.
He lightly tosses the transistor to the other engineer who catches it and tests it.
The transistor was tossed back and forth about 4 times and it would test good until the next time it was tossed at which time it tested bad and did not recover. There was no carpet shuffling or other overt static electricity generation. The failure occurred due to static that might have come from any number of things, such as a polyester shirt or even simply waving the hands in the air and the fact the transistor traveled through the air when flying. This was a very dramatic demonstration and I never forgot to wear a static strap afterward. ESD diodes are really just parasitic diodes that form as a part of the manufacturing process and can protect from only a very low level of static discharge. I highly recommend that any time CMOS parts are handled that the handler use a grounded static protection strap. After the movie, a guest environment engineer showed us a device that can meaure static charge. We pointed it at the carpet between the cubes and it showed 300,000 volts of charge. Static electricity is everywhere and since we can't see it, it is really important to always wear your static protection gear.

Also, static damage isn't always full fail. Static might punch a hole through the glass gate insulator and form a high value resistor. Stuff like that can make the device work sometimes, or work weirdly.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Top Top

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I had heard of their static sensitivity before but have never experienced failure of anything before this, so I never took it too seriously in terms of caution measures. I suppose making things in volume you are bound to come across failures more quickly.

I find it odd that it was a 4070 that failed in each case, and that it was the same 4070 in both cases (there are two of them in the design, out of six ICs total). Until I can find any other reason, I am going to guess it is something with static, and I will make sure to take better grounding precautions.

CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the topic of static discharge straps - is it advisable to have a large resistor on it within the discharge path to ground? Say 1Mohms?

Im sure I heard that said before as a safety measure.
Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
In general, MOS devices are sensitive to voltage spikes and static-electricity discharges. This can cause many problems when you have to replace MOS devices, especially complementary-symmetry metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) devices. The level of static electricity on your body is high enough to destroy the inputs of a CMOS device if you touch its pins with your fingers.

Read more HERE

Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Top Top wrote:
I find it odd that it was a 4070 that failed in each case, and that it was the same 4070 in both cases (there are two of them in the design, out of six ICs total).

That is indeed very suspicious, I don't think it is caused by static discharge.
If you are willing to share your schematics, there are more skilled people that can shed their light over it and maybe come up with a solution for you.

CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow - reading that article Grumble makes me wonder how any of my circuits still work!
Steveg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modern CMOS has built in protection diodes which makes it a lot more robust. Resistors don't do a great to shunt static discharge but they can block it. Use diodes to shunt high voltages to V+ and neutralise low voltages by drawing from ground.
Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, the article I point to in one of my previous posts is from 2001 and a lot have changed since, but the majority of cmos components used are produced in the previous century even Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: