electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord G2 editor in 64 bit for Mac OS X Catalina
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Nord G2 editor in 64 bit for Mac OS X Catalina Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody,

Does anyone have any idea of a solution to keep editing Nord G2 with Mac OS X Catalina, the new OS that only runs 64 bit apps?

Thank you for your tips
Xavier
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A virtual machine like VMWare maybe, apparently older OSX versions can still run then .. USB could be tricky then, dunno.
grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely somebody has "wine bottled" the 1.62 editor, no? I gave Wine a try but got completely lost in the configuration and didn't get anywhere. I do see that there is an older version of the editor on the Wine forum though (1.24 maybe?).
337is

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm curious about this as well. Getting to a point where I'll possibly need to freeze the OS of one of my machines to ensure I can still access the editor.
Burp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same here, cause eventually i have to upgrade due too my work.
I tried it with parallels running Windows7, but couldn't get it to work.

Maybe best solution is a dedicated (cheap old) laptop for the G2.

Rudt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Burp wrote:
Same here, cause eventually i have to upgrade due too my work.
I tried it with parallels running Windows7, but couldn't get it to work.

Maybe best solution is a dedicated (cheap old) laptop for the G2.

I was able to get it working in Mac Mojave and using parallels. The secret I found was an extremely short usb cord. I also got it working using a star tech thunderbolt 2 hub. And that was using a slightly longer usb cable.
Burp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rudt wrote:
I was able to get it working in Mac Mojave and using parallels. The secret I found was an extremely short usb cord.

Definitely worth a try!

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nowadays there are very nice chinese laptops and tables that would work well for dedicated G2 control. This one for example: https://www.amazon.es/CHUWI-Hi10-Air-Quad-Core-Bluetooth/dp/B07JB4S2QM/
RyanB

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

I know this is an older post, but is there now a solution to get the Nord G2 Editor work on Catalina?
I try it with crossover but I can't get connection, cause I don't know the port name.

On the codeweavers page theres a distrciption how to get the port name but for me that didn't work. The terminal didn't show me any names of the ports only for my bluetooth controller.

For Infos here is the link: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/usbtoserial2

Maybe someone made it by now!
Thanks,
RyanB
tendril ferris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to hear any sort of update about this as well.
In the meantime, I'm happy to install bootcamp and dual boot; it's just a bit of an inconvenience. I will say that the list of apps I need to run on windows is growing by the minute as Apple dropped 32-bit support and many of these pieces of freeware/shareware/minimal-donation-ware were 32bit only.

Burp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried CrossOver, but indeed, no hardware connection Sad

For now i use Parallels running Windows7 and the Windows Editor. Works perfect (on macOS Cataline).

xav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the information.
Parallels seems seems to be the only solution tested with success, isn't it?
Burp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xav wrote:

Parallels seems seems to be the only solution tested with success, isn't it?

As far as i tested, yes. And offcourse a dedicated old laptop.

But i'm very happi with the Parallels solution, it works perfect. And in coherence mode it's almost like a native mac app.

shhh21

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rudt wrote:
The secret I found was an extremely short usb cord.

1m? Or even shorter… 0,5m?

Trying the Parallels-route with Catalina as well. Virtualized Windows 10 with Editor 1.62 seems to work perfectly. Virtualized High Sierra seems to constantly be producing MAJOR ERROR issues (loosing connection)…
TEMAS

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm demoing Parallels at the moment and it seems to be working ok. I'll test it further over the next few days and if it passes I will buy the Desktop Edition (£69) and also the Parallels Toolbox (£16), which is needed to scale the resolution of the display screen, otherwise you are stuck with 1028 x 728 or something similar and thats no good for big patches.

So I'm using a 2017 iMac Quad-Core i7 4.2ghz, with Catalina 10.15.7 and have Mojave 10.14.6 loaded onto Parallels. The G2 is running 1.62 update and is connected directly to one of the 4 USB ports via a USB cable, which is about 1m (not sure if that makes any difference).

I have seen Major Error pop up twice, but once was because the computer was waking from sleep and the other time I was playing around with the USB settings. I think as long as the two operating softwares don't try to use the same USB port it should stay stable. But time will tell.

Anyway, so far so good. I really didn't think it would work.

bedhead777

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TEMAS wrote:
I'm demoing Parallels at the moment and it seems to be working ok.

I recently went through some troubleshooting with a friend for the G2 editor on my Intel i7 Macbook pro running 10.15.7. I set up Parallels with High Sierra on my laptop, which opened the editor fine for the G2. However, USB was not connecting. I tried several different usb cords with no luck, and a cord with a ferrite bundle (1.4m) on it gave a brief connection that was quickly lost. I then tried a powered USB hub (Elektron brand), running the ferrite bundle usb cable from the G2 into the hub which was then plugged into my laptop with a no name brand 3.0 usb cable (1.4m). Worked!

I tried using Windows 7 and XP in Parallels on my Mac as well but soon discovered that the usb drivers won't emulate in Parallels. Complete dead end.

I should mention this is a G2 Engine. We also haven't done extensive patching and playing on it, but so far it's working. I'll update later with any developments. I'm also going to try a different usb hub as I do need to replace the one I'm using for another setup.

I'm going to be getting a silicone chip Mac in a couple months and I'll give that a run with the above as well to see. Unless anyone can tell me now that's a waste of time...

Hope this helps anyone!
Parkol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, everybody.

I'm still using High Sierra and the old Logic Pro X 10.4.4.
I have a Nord Modular G2 Engine and I don't update my Mac OS X because of Editor. To include all 4 instruments you need an editor, I don't know about the keyboard versions.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or am I stuck with High Sierra and Logic Pro X 10.4.4 for the rest of my life? I love this synthesiser very much and I want to keep using it.

I will be glad to any advice.

Thank you and take care.

xav

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parkol wrote:
Hey, everybody.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or am I stuck with High Sierra and Logic Pro X 10.4.4 for the rest of my life? I love this synthesiser very much and I want to keep using it.

Hello Parkol... Happy to see somebody who still uses my favorite synth ever Smile I use Mojave with success (sometimes it bugs, but I had already bugs with high Sierra or with windows), and I can therefore use Logic Pro X 10.5. But I prefer use Reaper because it is always compatible with any OS, and very customisable... like the G2.
Parkol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xav wrote:

Hello Parkol... Happy to see somebody who still uses my favorite synth ever Smile I use Mojave with success (sometimes it bugs, but I had already bugs with high Sierra or with windows), and I can therefore use Logic Pro X 10.5. But I prefer use Reaper because it is always compatible with any OS, and very customisable... like the G2.

Roger that, thank you. What do we do now? Do we wait or are we tied to the old systems?
I think we have to find a way out.

Burp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use an old dedicated laptop only for G2.

But once in a while i can't help thinking that it would be great to have an (opensource) editor for the G2 in the browser with use of webUSB (is this possible?). There are some developers here (including me) so.... But it will take a lot of our free time.

Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: