electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Trying build the original code, like I did over 10 year ago
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Airell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Trying build the original code, like I did over 10 year ago Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Let me introduce myself. I'm Ian Hoogeboom. One of the early starters of the nmEdit / Nomad editor for the Clavia Nord Modular. (http://nmedit.sourceforge.net/userpage/people.html)

Until July 2006, I was working on an editor to read an write Nord Modular files (called jMod). This did work, but I had no code to send it to the synth. You can still see the original picture here In 2006 I got in contact with Christan and Markus (I think). They had code to send files to the synth, but no GUI (if I remember correctly), and we decided to 'merge' our projects. This became 'Nomad'.

Basically it meant that I gave my code to them and they set it all up in SourceForge and created a working editor. They soon separated the editor from the 'synth part' and implemented a way to created patches for other synths as well (nmEdit being one of them, sort of). It was then I stopped contributing, I just wanted to have an editor for the Nord Modular. This was more than 10 years ago and the project moved to github in 2008-ish. It looks like there is no development done since 2008 there.

I'm going to try to build the editor again from the existing code. But there are pieces missing.
Does anyone here also tried to build the code? Or knows who was actually one of the last maintainers? I at least want try to breath some new air into it.
I'm a Windows based user and the original editor still works, but without working code it might be hard to help out issues on other systems.

Cheers,
Ian Hoogeboom.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hoi Ian welcome (again I think? or was that the mailing list maybe) to the forum.

Trying to quickly reconstruct history now Wink

That Nomad stuff has always seemed over complicated to me .. would it be an idea to go back to your old code and re-engineer some of the stuff added by the later open source editor?

Anyway, I've never tried to build it myself .. what is/are the missing bit(s)?

And also: having a 6 year old mac here and some nords that I can use to test stuff on.

Airell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hoi Ian welcome (again I think? or was that the mailing list maybe) to the forum.

Trying to quickly reconstruct history now Wink

That Nomad stuff has always seemed over complicated to me .. would it be an idea to go back to your old code and re-engineer some of the stuff added by the later open source editor?

Anyway, I've never tried to build it myself .. what is/are the missing bit(s)?

And also: having a 6 year old mac here and some nords that I can use to test stuff on.

Hi there! I think it was the mailing list... not sure. Wink

I don't hesitate here, I would say YES! I did think about of picking up the old code again and 'finish' it, if the Nomad stuff would been to complicated. I did not prefer the 'other synth' stuff in there (Jomox and such), but it was a good idea. My intention was to focus on only the NM anyway.

The code that I think is missing are the libraries to communicate with the synth, but I'm not sure. They're called 'nmlibs'. I do have the source code of the early versions of those libs (written in C). I even think Clavia did gave us some sort of permission to 'reverse engineer' the original and/or even send the specs. But I'm not sure about that, at least I did never saw that.

No hopes of getting a fully operational Mac version in the next couple months, but I hate to see people selling these NM's just because it won't run on their Macs. If I (ever) get the editor run again from source on Windows, I think a solution as wine/virtual box or whatsoever will be the next step forward, but I don't know.

I did sell all my synths and went for Eurorack, except the NM. I really liked the idea of the NM (it was actually only a prototype to create the Nord Lead 1 and 2 if I remember correctly), but never liked the dependency of an OS/editor and now you see what's happening. So I have an expended keyboard to test, but I think that would be good enough for the rack/micro versions as well?

I will try to get the older source working again in the coming months. Let's keep in contact!
Airell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a first build of an older version (0.2.1-pre) from source.

I had some difficulties to get the 0.3.2 version to compile, but I will try this next time. Things changed in Java since 2006 Wink

Also I will try it to work with OpenJDK. Although (Oracle) JDK can be used for free when used personally, it might be that some of us make a living of making music and that it will considered 'production'.

first_build.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.28 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

first_build.png

Airell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can get the latest version (0.3.2?) from git to compile all the sources (in the 'latest still free' Oracle JDK 8_202), but running it is still an issue.
I have to figure out the application structure. It is very 'utility plugin' (modular Wink ) oriented and building it (via ant) requires knowledge of the application building structure. Maybe I will throw it all on one pile, and run it from Eclipse (IDE) that usually works too...

When having a running application from source on Windows, I can move on how to get this all working on a Mac.

Working on it...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to see some progress :)
Airell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Progress... Build from latest sources from Git. This is 0.3.2 I suppose.

I'm going to think about to 'sanitise' the code, but I'm not sure what to do with this yet. Making the code simpler to create a less multi-synth setup or leave it this way an only focus on compiling it for later/free version's of Java and Mac (not sure how to do that yet) and try to do bug fixes.

I can see Waldorf MiniWorks 4-Pole source code in the project, but I left that out for now. I also though JoMoX XBase 09 could be programmed with it, but I don't see it in there.

nomad-0.3.2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.74 KB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

nomad-0.3.2.png

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: