electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Early Three 6 Mafia and memphis snares
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
yegor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Early Three 6 Mafia and memphis snares Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there.

The best and easiest example is this (but there are tons):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bKNzQgcdiyI

For the kick for me it seems to be from some 909 kit.

Not sure for the snare though. Seems to be pitch shifted but these snares have _something_ to them which I cannot describe well but let me try - it sound like a "whip slap" like a punch from some old china movie :hihi:

It's crunchy and resonating to some extent, fuzzy, etc.

I seek for advise from people who either knows how it has been done or who could know and understand how to replicate this (at least partially).

By no means I want to become a copycat and throw out a couple of memphis rap albums, but these snares sit it my head for years and I just didn't yet find an answer but I really want to. Let us pray

I practice a lot at the moment in mixing/etc and this is something I would like to understand and achieve.

What's interesting, take for example DJ Squeeky's snares, they sound very similar, but after tweakings the 808s/909s I did maybe get somewhat close, but something is missing and I cannot understand what exactly. Considering that DJ Squeeky and Three 6 Mafia were dissing each other they didn't record together, so they had some sort of similar equipment which gave them this sound. Maybe some kit from that equipment. DJ Squeeky's kick also sound 909ish to me and snares have that _something_ I'm talking about Three 6's snares. Listen:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NjGUrrDcUVs

I would be super thankful for any help!

Also wanna mention that I don't want to go as lo fi as these records are. I just want to understand the concept behind their snares. :scared:
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: