electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
project boxes
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dr. K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: project boxes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the photo doesn't really do it justice, but I'm working on housing my gizmos in these trippy swirl painted boxes.

The effect is very cool if you get it right--my success rate is around 1 out of 3 to get some thing really cool. They then come out very rough, and require several coats of lacquer, some wet sanding, and then more lacquer. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

Years back, I made a small run of guitar pedals and put them in trippy, weird swirl boxes. They seem to be holding up ok. Since this project is purely for my own use, I wanted to really take the time on all the details. Good circuits, well made, proper electrical layouts... and cool enclosures

IMG_20200126_184156.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Viewed:  159 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_20200126_184156.jpg

IMG_20200125_081510.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  154 Time(s)

IMG_20200125_081510.jpg

Dr. K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here was another one that was pretty cool

webcam-toy-photo11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.81 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

webcam-toy-photo11.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

those look awesome Razz

I always wanted to do some swirl painting since I found out about it. Did you do it with dipping or dripping/pouring ?
I did try some paint pours on canvas but they didn't really come out great. The paint probably wasn't right as I just used
the cheapest stuff I could find mixed with some water and PVA glue. One actually looked ok at first but dried up very dark.
Maybe adding a layer of gloss to it will make the colors a bit more vibrant again. You have some very nice looking colors.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: project boxes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those were done using a swirl/dunking technique (often called "marbeling") I used a produce called Magic Marble, after numerous failed attempts doing it home-brew. The paints don't cost much but are a little fussy. The colors are vibrant.

The tricks I found were to work quickly--they dry fast, even floating on the water. Also, let them dry a good few days before touching them. Finally, use an acrylic laquer spray over the top. The first 2 coats should be VERY light. Just a light dusting. Then you can lay it on. I put on several coats, wet sand it to remove little blobs and roughness, then spray some more.

Here was a crackle finish I did with regular latex house paint laid on top of a coat of white glue. It's a 3-string guitar with hand wound pickups. Sounds good and raunchy!!

IMG_20200229_135250.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

IMG_20200229_135250.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: