electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Cacophonator question
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
R_Gol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Cacophonator question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all
I'm about to build this lovely synthbox called Cacophonator: https://theremin.us/Circuit_Library/cacophonator.html

I have few questions regarding the components:

1. Can I replace cr1 diode (MUR210G) ? if so with what other diode ?
2. is the 2200uf polarized capacitor ( c7) can be 16v or should be 50v? is that true for all polarised capacitors? 16v is enough ?
3. all the frequency potentiometers should be A type or B type ?

Thanks for helping!
Steveg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi R_Gol,

Welcome to the Lunetta forum.
The MUR210G is a fast recovery diode with a 2A rating ... check for fast recovery diodes in your preferred suppliers catalogue. the purpose of the diode is to short the power supply if the battery is inserted backwards. R10 limits the current to .4 A so a 1A diode would probably be happy. Whether it actually needs a Fast recovery diode here is another matter which I am not qualified to judge. If you were constructing the kit connected to a power supply the I would just leave it out.

16V should be fine for a 9V supply.

Linear pots would be usual but putting a log pot in there would not be a huge problem. It isn't like you have precision control.

Enjoy,
Steve
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

note that A/B labels for potentiometers can differ per manufacturer. The pots I used to use had A for linear and B for logarithmic.
Now that I use alpha pots most of the time it is the other way around. For this circuit (and other circuits with the same oscillators)
I would actually recommend using antilog pots. Except for maybe RV5.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R_Gol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steveg wrote:
Hi R_Gol,

Welcome to the Lunetta forum.
The MUR210G is a fast recovery diode with a 2A rating ... check for fast recovery diodes in your preferred suppliers catalogue. the purpose of the diode is to short the power supply if the battery is inserted backwards. R10 limits the current to .4 A so a 1A diode would probably be happy. Whether it actually needs a Fast recovery diode here is another matter which I am not qualified to judge. If you were constructing the kit connected to a power supply the I would just leave it out.

16V should be fine for a 9V supply.

Linear pots would be usual but putting a log pot in there would not be a huge problem. It isn't like you have precision control.

Enjoy,
Steve

Thanks for your replay!
I've got 1n4148 that is fast recovery diode but with 0.3a rating. should it be fine as-well?
Steveg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, 0.3A is less than 0.4A so no. The rule of thumb is that you would want it to exceed the predicted current by at least 50%.

But if you doubled the value of R10 then the current would be safe for your 1N4148.

Now if you have a cheap stock of 40106 chips and you are using a socket so the chip can easily be replaced then you may not need that diode at all unless you think you are prone to inserting batteries backwards. The circuit will function identically without it.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm 22ohm @ 0.4A. If you do reverse the power that resistor has to dissipate about 3.5W!
A better idea would be to use a (schottky) diode in series with the battery. You'll lose a bit
of the voltage but that's not really a problem for this circuit.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steveg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D'Oh! Thanks Phobos, I totally forgot to calculate power dissapation.
R_Gol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got another question on another circuit and I didn't want to open another topic for that -

I created this cmos cowbell circuit https://hackaday.com/2015/04/10/logic-noise-more-cmos-cowbell/

instead of using two 40106 osc I changed it for two 4046 osc - the rest is the same.

My problem is that the envelop seems to sound good in its attack but as you can hear there is addition quieter sound accompany the cowbell sound that should not be there.

here is the sound example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcvwegxzxtn1jlf/example%20cmos%20cowbell%20issue.mp3?dl=0

I wondering if its because the circuit still on two breadboard and the moment I will solder it the problem will be gone or its something in the circuit ?

Thanks!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

R_Gol wrote:
My problem is that the envelop seems to sound good in its attack but as you can hear there is addition quieter sound accompany the cowbell sound that should not be there.

Yeah, something is bleeding trough somewhere ... there could be a couple of reasons for that ..

as you suggested it might be breadboard layout, you could test that with trying different layouts.

or it could be that a bit of load (say 10k or so) to ground after the audio VCA helps - I would expect a bit of natural bleed trough from this particular VCA type (without having ever built it like this Laughing ).

it may als be a power supply thing, when your supply happens to be a battery you could try to put a capacitor of ... like 470 µF / 16V over it .. or maybe use shorter supply wires.

then it might be a local issue like not having decoupling caps over the CMOS IC(s) supply pins (try something like 100 nF asclose to the chip as possible) .. or having some inputs floating on CMOS chips.

or something else ... that I could not think of Rolling Eyes the youtube demos sounded cleaner ...

R_Gol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
R_Gol wrote:

Yeah, something is bleeding trough somewhere ... there could be a couple of reasons for that ..

as you suggested it might be breadboard layout, you could test that with trying different layouts.

or it could be that a bit of load (say 10k or so) to ground after the audio VCA helps - I would expect a bit of natural bleed trough from this particular VCA type (without having ever built it like this Laughing ).

it may als be a power supply thing, when your supply happens to be a battery you could try to put a capacitor of ... like 470 µF / 16V over it .. or maybe use shorter supply wires.

then it might be a local issue like not having decoupling caps over the CMOS IC(s) supply pins (try something like 100 nF asclose to the chip as possible) .. or having some inputs floating on CMOS chips.

or something else ... that I could not think of Rolling Eyes the youtube demos sounded cleaner ...

I added a 10nf capacitor between the marked placed in the image and gnd. it seems to help. those it make any sense ?
https://imgur.com/a/GfjBYJD
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would filter off some highs .. so yes that would help .. does it not become too dull overall now?
R_Gol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
That would filter off some highs .. so yes that would help .. does it not become too dull overall now?

It took some charcter from the sound but it solves some 'ticks' sound from the lfo that triggered the vca
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: