electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 44 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

artilect99 wrote:
ryktnk wrote:
there are quite a few unusual components

Looking over the BOM all the parts look pretty common except those 8-way switches.

ryktnk wrote:
I am not sure you would save much money this way.

For me it's not really about the total cost but having $350 to drop all at once. Real-life stuff sucks up most of my cash but If I can buy parts here and there I can eventually get it built.

Anyway I will try to save up for one of these kits b/c they look awesome!

Hello

I can try and setup some kits that are rare and essential parts only.

Included:
PCBs,Panel
All slides switches, rotary switch, all pots, all jacks
PIC chip, CH2 cable

Not included:
Knobs, MIDI cables, ICs, transistors, voltage regulators, resistors, diodes, LEDs, IC socket, DIL pin headers, DIL pin sockets.

ryk
Puzo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, thanks for the kit, nice build.

Have received the update firmware email. I don’t have a computer, is there a way to update the firmware with an iPad or android tablet?

Thanks
ryktnk

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Puzo wrote:
Hi, thanks for the kit, nice build.

Have received the update firmware email. I don’t have a computer, is there a way to update the firmware with an iPad or android tablet?

Thanks

Hello

Glad the build went ok.

The firmware updates are via MIDI Sysex, so if you ipad or tablet are capable
of sending MIDI sysec then it should be ok.

ryk
artilect99

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:

Sounds great!

Are the pots/jacks a special/rare kind?
ryktnk

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

artilect99 wrote:
ryktnk wrote:

Sounds great!

Are the pots/jacks a special/rare kind?

Hello

Pots are 9mm snap in type, jacks are Thonk mono and stereo.
So not very rare, but its hard for me to guarantee working builds with user supplied components.

ryk
RobJB06

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ryk,

Hope your doing well, thanks for all the recent updates.
Just wondering whats happening regarding the built Roland 100M format modules, any idea when they will be available?
I hope they are not on a first come, first served basis as im horrible at missing out due to not seeing when things become available.
Also any idea what the price will be?

Cheers, Rob
ryktnk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RobJB06 wrote:
Hi Ryk,

Hope your doing well, thanks for all the recent updates.
Just wondering whats happening regarding the built Roland 100M format modules, any idea when they will be available?
I hope they are not on a first come, first served basis as im horrible at missing out due to not seeing when things become available.
Also any idea what the price will be?

Cheers, Rob

Hello

The Roland 100m version is in progress.
Currently waiting for panel prototypes, which is quite
slow process marching paint and surface texture.
The panels are bead-blasted to create a similar texture
to the original 100m panels, before painting.

I haven’t worked out the price yet, but it will be quite a bit more
than the Euro modules. Mainly due to the panel costs, and also the
rare and expensive knobs.

ryk
nativeVS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Build Issue - 5V shorted to GND Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ryk,

after just finishing building it seems to work fine for just a few seconds, then it looks as if it crashes (LEDs disappear or some become static).
I presume I've probably got a short somewhere on the 5V line as the through hole regulator gets rather warm in that short time frame.

I'd appreciate if you've got any other ideas other than tripple checking all joints and removing any flux remains.

EDIT:
After some time of flux removal and checking all joints I still don't seem to find any issue there.
I checked the static resistance between the regulator out and gnd and appears to be around 15ohms (I think, would have to check again).
When powering the voltage drops from 5v over a few seconds whilst I presume the regulator is current limiting.

Robert
ryktnk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Build Issue - 5V shorted to GND Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nativeVS wrote:
Hi Ryk,

after just finishing building it seems to work fine for just a few seconds, then it looks as if it crashes (LEDs disappear or some become static).
I presume I've probably got a short somewhere on the 5V line as the through hole regulator gets rather warm in that short time frame.

I'd appreciate if you've got any other ideas other than tripple checking all joints and removing any flux remains.

EDIT:
After some time of flux removal and checking all joints I still don't seem to find any issue there.
I checked the static resistance between the regulator out and gnd and appears to be around 15ohms (I think, would have to check again).
When powering the voltage drops from 5v over a few seconds whilst I presume the regulator is current limiting.

Robert

Hello

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the build.

Regarding the THT regulator.
The voltage should not drop significantly on power up.
Usually reads around 4.9V

I have measured the regulator resistance on working unit, and it reads around 3k.
So perhaps there is some kind of short within the unit.

Can you try a reading with the Main PCB disconetec from the Panel PCB, this
might tell where there fault is.

ryk
nativeVS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Build Issue - 5V shorted to GND Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:

Hi Ryk,
I'm getting 14.6 ohm output to gnd at the moment; I'll check it out of circuit in a moment and see whether it might be the culprit.

EDIT:
14.7 on the board between gnd and +5, yikes.

Robert
ryktnk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Build Issue - 5V shorted to GND Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nativeVS wrote:
ryktnk wrote:

Hi Ryk,
I'm getting 14.6 ohm output to gnd at the moment; I'll check it out of circuit in a moment and see whether it might be the culprit.

EDIT:
14.7 on the board between gnd and +5, yikes.

Robert

Sounds like some kind of short somewhere.

Maybe check the electrolytic caps are the right way around.
Perhaps check without the PIC installed, or any other chips if they are socketed.
nativeVS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting as low as 14.4 across the shift register, so that one's next up.

EDIT:
Definitely the shift register; seems like I might have been overly keen when installing that...
hautlle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful job on this module Ryk. Your instructions are very clear and easy to understand and the panel is beautiful.

After getting it all assembled and doing the calibration procedure I started the hardware test mode per the manual. Everything on my module is working except the second step gate length switch. I've checked the joints on the switch itself, along with the headers between modules and the ICs on the main board but have had zero luck since last night getting any response from that switch.

Could you offer any insight as to where I might check next as I'm not seeing any obvious bad joints or shorts on either of the boards Sad
ryktnk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hautlle wrote:
Wonderful job on this module Ryk. Your instructions are very clear and easy to understand and the panel is beautiful.

After getting it all assembled and doing the calibration procedure I started the hardware test mode per the manual. Everything on my module is working except the second step gate length switch. I've checked the joints on the switch itself, along with the headers between modules and the ICs on the main board but have had zero luck since last night getting any response from that switch.

Could you offer any insight as to where I might check next as I'm not seeing any obvious bad joints or shorts on either of the boards Sad

Hello

Thanks for buying the kit.

Sorry to hear you have a problem with Stage 2.
Is it just the Gate Mode for Stage 2.

For the gate switch problem, can you check the polarity of D21.
This diode supplies the swithc with 5V.

If the diode looks ok, please try measuring the DC voltage [to gnd ] on D21.
When Stage 2 is selected [ using NTX/PRV blue buttons ] you should see
4.9-5V on both ends of this diode.

Regards
ryk
hautlle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
hautlle wrote:

Hello

Thanks for buying the kit.

Sorry to hear you have a problem with Stage 2.
Is it just the Gate Mode for Stage 2.

For the gate switch problem, can you check the polarity of D21.
This diode supplies the swithc with 5V.

If the diode looks ok, please try measuring the DC voltage [to gnd ] on D21.
When Stage 2 is selected [ using NTX/PRV blue buttons ] you should see
4.9-5V on both ends of this diode.

Regards
ryk

Sorry, I didn't use the correct terminology. The switch that gets no response is the Stage 2 Stage Count Control switch. The Gate Mode switch behaves as expected.
ryktnk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hautlle wrote:

Sorry, I didn't use the correct terminology. The switch that gets no response is the Stage 2 Stage Count Control switch. The Gate Mode switch behaves as expected.

Hello

No worries.

The diode to look at is D22, please check as previously described.

If the readings are 4.9-5v then please check carefully the soldering of
SW-A6 [ the Stage 2 Count control ]. Especially the bottom right corner pin
when the board is flipped over.

Sorry I havent had time to grab a pcb photo.

ryk
hautlle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
hautlle wrote:

Hello

No worries.

ryk

I am only getting 4.55v out of D22.
ryktnk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hautlle wrote:
ryktnk wrote:
hautlle wrote:

Hello

No worries.

ryk

Hello

That is fine [ the diode has quite a voltage drop ]
The problem would now appear to be with the switch A6, please check carefully the pin soldering.

ryk
hautlle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
hautlle wrote:
ryktnk wrote:
hautlle wrote:

Hello

No worries.

ryk

Hello

That is fine [ the diode has quite a voltage drop ]
The problem would now appear to be with the switch A6, please check carefully the pin soldering.

ryk

After removing most of the solder with a sucker and re-soldering the switch I still had the same issue.

After inspecting all parts of the switch for a while I noticed there was a tiny spot of something splattered on the track inside the switch. I gently removed it with a toothpick and all is working now Very Happy

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for your time and the wonderful module Ryk. I look forward to exploring the M185[/img]

Last edited by hautlle on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Still Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

Just finished my build, and it fires up for the test as it should, but it only seems to be 5 stages.

LEDs pingpong left to right 4 times, but only 5 LEDs.

Max stage switch also only lights 5 LEDs.

EDIT:

When running a normal sequence, it appears to be running through all 8 stages, but no LED indication on 6, 7, and 8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
nativeVS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ryk,

So, after resolving the previous issue I've now managed to calibrate CV1 & CV2 without issues, however I don't get any response from the Gate mode switches in the test mode (i.e. all stuck in top position).
ryktnk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still Sound wrote:
Hey guys,

Just finished my build, and it fires up for the test as it should, but it only seems to be 5 stages.

LEDs pingpong left to right 4 times, but only 5 LEDs.

Max stage switch also only lights 5 LEDs.

EDIT:

When running a normal sequence, it appears to be running through all 8 stages, but no LED indication on 6, 7, and 8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are having problems with some LEDs not lighting, it is a good idea to measure voltage on the LED drivers on the Main PCB.
Boot up the sequencer normally, turn off the clock, and use the NXT PRV blue buttons to select a stage.
Then measure the voltage between Pin 16, and the relevant pin on the LED Driver IC. [ see list below ]
Use the red probe on Pin16, and the black probe for the LED driver Pins.

You should see 1.8v on a correctly functioning pin that is active for that stage.

Here are the Pins to measure voltages on.

IC5 RED LEDs

Stage 1 - Pin 5
Stage 2 - Pin 6
Stage 3 - Pin 7
Stage 4 - Pin 8
Stage 5 - Pin 9
Stage 6 - Pin 10
Stage 7 - Pin 11
Stage 8 - Pin 12

IC6 GREEN LEDs
Stage 1 - Pin 5
Stage 2 - Pin 6
Stage 3 - Pin 7
Stage 4 - Pin 8
Stage 5 - Pin 9
Stage 6 - Pin 10
Stage 7 - Pin 11
Stage 8 - Pin 12

If all these volatges seem ok, then perform the same voltage tests, but
this time measuring the voltage on the LED directly on the PCB.
Red probe centre leg.
Green LED black probe on LHS leg
Red LED black probe on RHS leg.

Again if correct the voltage should be apprx 1.8v

If you are not seeing these voltage on the LEDs, there is most likely
a problem with the pin header soldering.

ryk
ryktnk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nativeVS wrote:
Hi Ryk,

So, after resolving the previous issue I've now managed to calibrate CV1 & CV2 without issues, however I don't get any response from the Gate mode switches in the test mode (i.e. all stuck in top position).

I assume you have set the Sequence switch to '?' to select the Gate Mode switches.

If so then please check the soldering of the highlighted pin header on the Panel PCB in the atatched photo. [ viewed from component side of Panel PCB ]
This takes the voltage from all the Gate Mode switches to the Main PCB. You should also check for continuity from this pin to the Main PCB.

ryk

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 19.52.03.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.08 KB
 Viewed:  102 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 19.52.03.png

nativeVS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ryk,
continuity is fine through to the pin of the processor, which only outputs about .1V doh Well, at least it's in a socket.

Robert
ryktnk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nativeVS wrote:
Hi Ryk,
continuity is fine through to the pin of the processor, which only outputs about .1V doh Well, at least it's in a socket.

Robert

Hello

Can you turn on the sequencer.
Stop the clock.
Select a stage with the NXT PRV buttons, and measure the voltage on the pin from the previous post, whilst adjusting the Gate Mode switch.
PS this is voltage that is sent to the processor for Gate Modes.

When you were using calibration test mode, did the Pots and Stage Count switches test ok.

ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 44 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: