electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Synth help
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Synth help
Subject description: Help with understanding.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone.
Just to let everyone know, I'm new to this forum, synth building, synth using in general
And i have been doing hobbyist electronics for 1.5y.

Before I continue I just want to state that, I am competent at building from a schematic.
As I have no experience with synthesiser, using and or building, I'm having trouble knowing when something I've built is working the way it should, or not.
Not just that but im not sure how to interface one part with another.
As an example, I built the PWLFO and the 555 AD/AR (from PHOBoS's Moon Base Xplorer) but I don't know how/what to use them.
I've read and watched different things, but I'm still having problems understanding how it all works, I'm a hands on kinda guy .
Would anyone be willing to help me out?
I have no midi instruments or any instruments really, I only have a few basic oscillators.
I would really love to start building some of your designs, PHOBoS's Moon Base Xplorer especially stood out to me. (you guys are magicians)

Thanks

Pete
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the best mode of operation is to pick a design that appeals to you and get in touch with the designer/builder to ask specific questions
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have not yet, you should read through:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_synthesizer

These concepts also apply to a non-patch synthesizer, the difference being the patch cables are part of the circuit board and are permanent. They will still contain the same familiar module components.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Synth help
Subject description: Help with understanding.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

When I joined here 10 years ago I didn't really know anything about synths either. I'd heard some music with synthesizers and some guy at a music store once
told me that the difference between a synthesizer and a keyboard (which is what I was looking for at the time) is that a synth doesn't have speakers Confused but that
was about it. I had been messing around with electronics for about 15 years, although not as intensive as these days, and was looking for circuits to create music
or at least sounds. I did some circuit bending and somewhere along the way stumbled upon modular synths. Not really knowing anything about it also explains
why the first module I choose to build was Ken Stone's V8 Simulator. I also had no clue what an envelope generator is generally used for and I don't think I even
had any VCA's when I made it so I just used it to control things.

Over the years I learned a lot more about synths although there is still a lot I don't know but at the very least I understand the basics. I also would have done
some things a bit differently had I'd known what I know now. Luckely there is a lot of information available which might seem a bit daunting at first but it's not all
that complex at least not untill you really dive deep into the theory of sounddesign. I think a good start would be https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

You can also play around a bit with VCV Rack or wren to get somewhat of a feel for it but it's not the same as playing with actual hardware. The lunetta section here
on the forum is also a great way to start making some fun sounds but I mostly recommend it for people that are very new to electronics. I guess It depends a bit
on the sounds/music you want to create. Of course for any questions about building synths you came to the right place but muffwiggler is worth checking out too.

rule 1: there are no rules, just have fun!

btw. I removed your other post as we have this no double posting policy and this seems to be a more suitable section anyway. (first you get banned, now posts removed
I hope you don't get the impression we rule with an iron fist Laughing )

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:  Cheers! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys!
Sorry about the long period between my replying, I've been ill and it really took it out of me.

Thanks for all the great suggestions I'll be sure to take them on board.
I've been getting the hang of it, slowly I might add, but it's something.
Hah! I'm not quite sure that my girlfriend is enjoying it though, as I've been making
A lot of noise.
I'll be sure to post my progress.

Cheers again.
Pete
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheers! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PiercedFaceMan wrote:
I've been getting the hang of it, slowly I might add, but it's something.
Hi Pete. A new resource came last week.
https://audiokitpro.com/manual-for-synth-one/
Quote:
EXCITING NEWS: More than just an instruction manual, Synth One: The Ultimate Guide is a complete introduction to the basics of synthesizers and analog synthesis. Combining this book with the open source AudioKit Synth One, The Ultimate Guide explains everything from how filters and oscillators work to the details of the harmonic series and microtonal music.

Written by Francis Preve one of the world’s leading sound designers, he’s crafted the factory content for legendary companies like Ableton, Roland, Sequential, Xfer, and Korg since 2004.
This is supposed to be helpful even if you don't have Synth One on your iOS device. I've only begun to read it and it does contain some basic concepts.
--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: