electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Drum
Various 'drum machines' for electronic & realistic drums
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Various 'drum machines' for electronic & realistic drums
Subject description: Fat Kicks, Snares, Claps, Hi Hats and Percussion. **July 07 - New Drums**
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firstly, let me say that had there been room in the title line, it would have read '... & semi-realistic drums'. Now that's out of the way, we can move on.
Below are 4 (for now) 'drum machines' that were specifically designed to recreate certain groups of sounds, ie. kicks, snares, claps and percussion. I dare say that you could create similar sounds on all of them (maybe except the clap machine), but each has modules that are best for that type of instrument. They all include multiple oscilators and 'extreme' shaping abilities on each, plus final shaping and output trim too.

Not all of the modules are needed for each sound, so once you have created the sound you want, each patch can be stripped right down for use in a performance to allow more polyphony, as can be seen in my '2am' performance.

<<<edited>>> See below for 1 DSP all-in-one patches, Drum machine and Drum machine v2, with patch/programming explanations/tips.

Note that as there is some irregularity to some of the sounds each time they are triggered, these drum sounds are best suited to being sampled or recorded, as opposed to being played live. Also, they are quite heavy patches - another reason to sample them.

All the 'machines' have been labelled and electronic drum creation is easy, allthough you may like to check out the 'synth secrets' section of the Sound on Sound website (as I did) to help you create more realistic sounds. To help, each 'machine' has a variety of both electronic and (semi) realistic drums created in the different variations, for you to either use or tweak. Some of the patches have convenient morph controls pre-set, allthough some variations have had their morph amounts changed to suit the sound, ie. on the clap machine, there is a single Decay knob set up which alters both the Density and the Tail envelopes by pre-determined amounts, but on some variations I wanted to alter the relationship between their decays.

Kick machine:

Note that as sometimes you may want the envelope click in the sound, use the BeaterOsc for that part of the sound and set the filters so that the HPF is before the amp envelope. As such, not all the parts of the sounds I created are in their 'pre-labelled' postions, ie. the bass may be from the vibration path because I wanted to use something from that path not in the bass path. (See below for attached screenshot)

Snare machine:

Note that the frequency shifters are only needed for more realism (although they can be used otherwise) so there is a handy On/Off switch for it.

Clap machine:

I have to admit that I'm not overly impressed with this patch although it can produce convincing claps. This is definitely a tricky sound to recreate (as you may soon find out). Note that the delay bank is set optimaly for 808 style claps on variation 6. Also note that in general, 808 style claps need more FM and others need less.

Edited >> See below for Percussion machine and now a new Hi hat machine.

Clap machine.pch2
 Description:
Clap machine

Download
 Filename:  Clap machine.pch2
 Filesize:  3.53 KB
 Downloaded:  2671 Time(s)

Snare machine.pch2
 Description:
Snare machine

Download
 Filename:  Snare machine.pch2
 Filesize:  3.7 KB
 Downloaded:  2936 Time(s)

Kick machine.pch2
 Description:
Kick machine

Download
 Filename:  Kick machine.pch2
 Filesize:  3.45 KB
 Downloaded:  2886 Time(s)

Last edited by sheridan on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:06 am; edited 11 times in total
sheridan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Percussion machine:

Cowbells, rimshots, bongos, etc. Again, it turns out that percussion is quite tricky for the beginner (me included) to recreate. Check out SOS for help (see main text). Note that as Osc 2 was designed to reproduce vibrations, ie. a narrow band of thick partials, it has 2 Lev Amps to increase it's filtered-down level.

Kick machine.jpg
 Description:
Screenshot of the Kick machine patch.
 Filesize:  224.94 KB
 Viewed:  44191 Time(s)

Kick machine.jpg

Percussion machine.jpeg
 Description:
Screenshot of the Percussion machine patch.
 Filesize:  137.44 KB
 Viewed:  44189 Time(s)

Percussion machine.jpeg

PercussionMachin.pch2
 Description:
Percussion machine.

Download
 Filename:  PercussionMachin.pch2
 Filesize:  4.16 KB
 Downloaded:  2300 Time(s)

Last edited by sheridan on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the kick machine here is well done. Very nice actually. Cool
The snare too is nice as is the percussion machine.
Though I like the other clap patches you made previously.
This one is far to something clicky not sure though.
It can easily be edited around.
But dont get me wrong great contribution and thank you!
sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I'd agree with you about the claps Jason, but the only main difference is that previously, the portion of the 'crack' signal that goes to the 'density' path was post (crack) filters and now it is pre filter. This is because the 'crack' amp env introduced very uneven clicks before. The extra 'distortion' modules have been fairly replaced by Sat modules.

All the same, for those who don't know what we're refering to, see/listen to variation 6 in the following patch, which has a slightly better 808 clap imitation than those in the Clap machine, as it was modelled quite accurately from the 808 clap sound on a Novation Drumstation... there's not much in it though!

808 Clap.pch2
 Description:
Although each variation is different, they are not all 'tweaked', ie. some are rubbish!

Download
 Filename:  808 Clap.pch2
 Filesize:  4.12 KB
 Downloaded:  2419 Time(s)

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice drum modules Sheridan. It's great to have the basics of a decent analogue based drum kit in the G2 Very Happy
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I think its awesome this work you did putting it together.
One thing I will say I do like about the new clap setup sheridan is
all the envelopes added. Can really get some more control over it like you were previously speaking of in the other thread. This may sound silly to some, but I have always had an extreme liking for all the 808 hats.
I think the G2 can make good emulations 808 sounds but I am not sure how well one could make an open 909 HH. I have yet to try , but have given it some thought...

Hope your doing ok there in the UK Sheridan!
Crazy times...
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
but I am not sure how well one could make an open 909 HH. I have yet to try , but have given it some thought...

Hope your doing ok there in the UK Sheridan!
Crazy times...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 909 open and closed hats come from a ROM sample. I know the ride and crash cymbals do, but I'm pretty sure the hats do as well.

And yes, I hope you and your family/friends are alright Sheridan... crazy times indeed.
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 909 open and closed hats come from a ROM sample. I know the ride and crash cymbals do, but I'm pretty sure the hats do as well.

Indeed Afro88 this is true. quote from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TR-909
"The hihats and cymbals are 6-bit samples, compressed and combined with a volume envelope curve to allow slight modification."

For the 909 that is whereas I think the 808 uses a combo of sample and noise osc. Still though I just think getting that sound out of the G2 would be most impressive if possible or even close to possible. That is all I meant Smile
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 808 hats are made from a CMOS HEX inverter configured as 6 square wave oscillators, these are mixed and high pass filtered to produce the metal sound. You can get the actual schematics all over the net. The G2 metal oscillator I think produces a similar tone.
I was at the launch of the TR808 in Sydney (and again some months later in Auckland), it was a combined JP8/TR808 launch. I was impressed when the demo guy programmed ‘Heart ache tonight’ by the Eagles into the 808 in real time but had no idea it would become such a legend.
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
The 808 hats are made from a CMOS HEX inverter configured as 6 square wave oscillators, these are mixed and high pass filtered to produce the metal sound. You can get the actual schematics all over the net. The G2 metal oscillator I think produces a similar tone.
I was at the launch of the TR808 in Sydney (and again some months later in Auckland), it was a combined JP8/TR808 launch. I was impressed when the demo guy programmed ‘Heart ache tonight’ by the Eagles into the 808 in real time but had no idea it would become such a legend.

Very cool Very Happy
I love cymbals.
sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny that you're all talking about hi hats... because here's my 'Hi hat machine'! It has two methods of creating the many enharmonic partials needed: the six square wave method mentioned above or 3 part FM - Note that when using FM, turn off Oscs 1, 3 and 5 as shown in some variations. There are three seperate audio paths, each with filtering and envelopes plus the usual final shaping modules.
I have been a bit lazy with the 6 square wave setup (only 1 set of variables) as it is a bit of a nightmare having to tune each one by ear and this set took me a while to find! I have as usual created 8 variations. I am very pleased with this patch and will surely be using these hats!
Note that there are two 'Level Sequencers': 1 is for decay (open/closed) the other is for level and is also connected to the filters.
Below is a screen shot.

Have fun!

p.s. thanks for your kind thoughts guys - I think most of London is back to normal now... us Brits are very resiliant!

Hi hat machine.jpg
 Description:
Screenshot of the Hi hat machine patch.
 Filesize:  115.91 KB
 Viewed:  44082 Time(s)

Hi hat machine.jpg

Hi hat machine.pch2
 Description:
Hi hat machine

Download
 Filename:  Hi hat machine.pch2
 Filesize:  3.77 KB
 Downloaded:  2211 Time(s)

Last edited by sheridan on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet !!!
Hey Sheridan , these are some of the best Hats ever, no joke!
Thanks Smile
sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
Sweet !!!

Yeah thanks, I'm pretty impressed myself! Very Happy Add a touch of reverb and they're even better!!

Not bad for a modular noob! Cool
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work Sher, Thanx!
sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Drum machine! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there everyone Very Happy .

At last, I have combined most of the above patches into one fairly cheap (DSP) patch - just the basics, mind, but it still sounds good:

Drum machine with Kick, Clap, Snare, and Hi Hats.

<<<edited>>>

For quick variations on the different drum sounds, use variation 8 which has morph controls set up. I have made 7 variations with a variety of sounds for you to get started with straight away. Very Happy

Points to note:

Snare drum and Hi Hats can have level information as well.
To get different Hi Hat sounds, tweak the various (Yellow) Pulse Width and FM knobs first... well, just tweak all the knobs!!! I'm sure you can work it out.

<<<edited>>>

Oh yeah, I have tweaked the patch to get it to 1 DSP now. Yay!

That's about it. Have fun! Very Happy

Drum machine.pch2
 Description:
Drum machine with Kick, Clap, Snare, and Hi Hats (now just 1 DSP).

Download
 Filename:  Drum machine.pch2
 Filesize:  6.59 KB
 Downloaded:  2193 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk

Last edited by sheridan on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for the excellent quality of these drum sounds. i was astounded, recently, when i was going through my archive and came across the individual patches. thanks!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. Good work, Sheridan. Thanks much... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes these are some of the best on our planet earth.
I cant wait to see what changed in the new version and indeed Thank You Sheridan
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really amazing drums! Thanks a lot Sheridan. Very Happy
hoshigoshi

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is incredible, great patch!!

i want to ask you a question I am doing an Emulation of the TR-808 on the G2 atm and i`ve just checked your 808 claps patch and it`s really great. May i use it for my TR-808 Patch with your permission?

Best,
Hosh
sheridan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Hosh Very Happy

You are most welcome to use any of these sounds/patches for your own creations.

hoshigoshi

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot! Posted here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-16475.html

Cool
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for the excellent quality of these drum sounds. i was astounded, recently, when i was going through my archive and came across the individual patches. thanks!
Cebec

I feel the same....EXCELLENT 808 Clap well done
sheridan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: New improved version of Drum machine!! Still only 1 DSP Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted here, but seeing as I have been using modified Drum machine patches in my performances, I thought I'd post an updated and improved version for you.
Adjustments have been made to the Kick and Snare to allow a much wider variation in drum sounds. You can now change the shape of the pitch and amp envelopes - a huge improvement. Also, an Oscillator B for the kick beater allows for a wider range of sounds.
The snare now features an eq for the noise element, which can change the sound and feel dramatically as you will hear from the examples. Also, the kick sequencer level output is patched to various inputs to allow control over pitch, filter and envelope shape as the sequencer plays.
Also, the signal flow has been altered so that the filters come after the amp envs, so they filter out resyncing clicks, producing cleaner sounds. There aren't so many new modules, but there are 32 newly programmed drum sounds in the 8 variations that you are all welcome to use/modify in your own patches.
Morph controls are only set up in variations 1 and 8 as the other variations had more significant tweaks. Below is an .mp3 of the 8 breakbeats from the patch and the patch itself.

Enjoy. Very Happy

<<Edited>>

Drum programming tips for this patch:

The level output from the Kick sequencer is 'hardwired' to the AM input of the kick's two amp envelopes, but you can alter the amount that affects the Amp env shape control and the pitch (there is a LevConv module further down that allows higher/lower pitches from higher levels). Set the Bass Osc pitch mod to 0 then set the frequency to the lowest frequency you want the kick to have, ie. the pitch it ends on. Then set the pitch mod to the value/frequency that you want the highest (initial) pitch to be (the knock of the kick). Next, adjust the Pitch Env decay and the Env Shape control below to taste - the Pitch Env decay should generally be shorter than the Amp Env decay. Using different oscillator shapes for the BeaterOsc module can dramatically shape the sound of the initial transients of the kick, as can adjusting it's Amp env decay (short values are best for this).

The Pulse and Delay modules and the Crack Env & HPF of the clap should generally be left (near) where they are for authentic clap sounds, but adjusting the Density and Clap LPF allows for variation. The Noise colour and OscC1 pitch and/or FM amount controls also have an effect, with higher FM amounts producing cleaner, more noise-based claps and lower amounts allowing the oscillator pitch to be heard, creating dirtier claps.

Adjusting the snare is best done starting with just the lower oscillator being audible - set the lowest frequency for your snare. Next, turn on the second oscillator and adjust the frequency until a nice relationship between the two is heard. At this point, experiment with the pitch input amounts and the pitch env. Generally, the lower frequency oscillator should have a slightly longer Amp decay than the other one. Next, add the noise - the extensive filter section allows for exact bands of noise to be throughput. Don't be afraid to use large quantities of boost on the Eq as it is only affecting the noise (1kHz to 5kHz is usually most effective). Finally, the snare level is patched to the Noise LPF mod input, so the snare sound can brighten with higher levels.

There are two main ways to 'tune' the Hi hats. Either adjusting the pitch, FM amount, Shape, and/or the shape input amount controls on the two oscillator circuits (FM 1 & FM2) individually and then combining them, or adjusting them with them all sounding. Either way is good, but you will soon realise that some frequencies just don't work together. Note Osc3 feeds all the other oscillators' shape inputs, so adjusting its pitch will affect all of the others' sounds. When you have a nice sound, it's time to tweak it in the filter section. All the sound goes through the first BPF, so don't cut out too much with the resonance - think of it like a tone control. Use the HPF below to 'zoom in' on the frequencies you want and boost them with the resonance. The WaveWrapper helps to add mettalic...er..ness, but go easy on the amount... it soon gets too much. The final HPF has the level output patched to it, so quieter (or louder, depending on the adjoining LevConv module) notes can have less lower frequencies. Finally the Amp env Decay mod input sets the difference between the decays of the closed and open hi hats - The decay value is the decay of the closed hats and the modulation value is the extra decay added for the open hats.

Go on, have a tweak!! See what you can come up with... it's great fun! Very Happy

<<Edited>>

Drum machine v2 drums.mp3
 Description:
8 break beats featured in the new Drum machine.pch 1.02 MB 01:07

Download
 Filename:  Drum machine v2 drums.mp3
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Downloaded:  1413 Time(s)

Drum machine v2.pch2
 Description:
Drum machine v2 - Features fully programmable drum machine with kicks, claps, hats, snares, sequencers and 32 drum sounds programmed in the 8 variations

Download
 Filename:  Drum machine v2.pch2
 Filesize:  6.59 KB
 Downloaded:  2622 Time(s)

Last edited by sheridan on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:11 am; edited 6 times in total
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Sheridan! It's getting better and better....I'm really into snare drum sounds and I must say you are making some of the BEST one for the G2 (kick,hh,clap&perc as well)..yes, THANK YOU for that !!!
The way you tweak the snare on Variation 3, is the way I like, those little cracky snappy sounds....mmmmh I love them. Embarassed

Thank you very much for this impressive work...and now let's bang IT....

PS:Sheridan I recently came across your incredible Helicopter v3 Patch, and I still can't believe that's my G2 that is giving me this sound...now tell, HOW DO YOU USE SAMPLING WITH THE G2?????? Laughing
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Drum
Jump to: