electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Gibson on sampling and remixing
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Gibson on sampling and remixing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/gibson.html

Brief but interesting.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That entire issue focuses on the cut and paste culture. I picked up a copy of Wired to read on my recent trip to Florida. I read it with interest but it wasn't always very interesting. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it does and indeed there´s not too much meat to this little article; Wired has long been ove the hill. However; I liked the "cut&paste" perspective to this here. Much of modern music *is* cut and paste and I think Gibson is very right in pointing to Dub which is one of the first accessible styles of music where one of the main instrument is basically manipulations on existing sounds. This is very interesting to me.

I think Gibson is very right in linking operations in text editors to sampling, even if with text editors one often samples oneself. With the amount of repetion in modern muisc and the very nature of the tools used to make it there is very few new music left that´s not a collage in some sense. Even types of music that centre on live instrumentalism like Rock, Blues, Country or Jazz and particularly in older, more traditional, styles quoting is more of a rule then a exception. It could be argued that what style something falls in depends on what it quotes.

I think that´s very relevant wether you are trying to be completely original or wether you want your work to belong to the Hip-Hop style.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, what you say is true. I guess some of us see a distinction between say writing and singing a song in the style of another musician and using a sample of the other musician's recording.

When The Beatles copied Simon and Garfunkles' Bridge Over Troubled Waters with the Long and Winding road, or the Beach boys put out Pet Sounds after the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers, that was imiatation, but not cut and paste; a long way from Mutant Pet Sounds: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6397.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
When The Beatles copied Simon and Garfunkles' Bridge Over Troubled Waters with the Long and Winding road, or the Beach boys put out Pet Sounds after the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers, that was imiatation, but not cut and paste; a long way from Mutant Pet Sounds: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6397.html

Is the difference realy that large?

When the Banshees covered the traditional Lord´s Prayer in a way you might call imitation the relationship between them and Chrstianity is (to me at least) very much analogue to the additude taken by clearly "Cut&Paste" mashups or parodies in relation to comercial pop music.

Much like sampling; covers can be either expresions of admiration or of parody/criticism.

It quickly becomes a matter of semantics and I´ll give you that in many cases "sampling" and "stealing" may be very close but so are "covering" and "stealing". I would call all of those "cut and paste culture". That Banshees song is a interesting example; it´s clearly a collage but no actual sampling takes place; they cover multiple songs and a prayer in one work with a meaning quite unlike any of the pieces.

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

When The Beatles copied Simon and Garfunkles' Bridge Over Troubled Waters with the Long and Winding road,

mhhh..not sure how this is the case..i know both songs on guitar and they are not close

long and winding road is in drop D tuning for one thing

--

sampling is different that quoting...in the one fundamental way that sampling is about using the sound/phrase[notes] of an actual recording, and quoting is using a series of notes from another composition[usually as a conscious act of homage to the orginal composer]

not saying one is better than the other or one is wrong or right- i personally use both techniques ..

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

imagine how Bach's fugues would have turned out had he access to a cut'n'paste drag'n'drop sequencer window...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
mosc wrote:

When The Beatles copied Simon and Garfunkles' Bridge Over Troubled Waters with the Long and Winding road,

mhhh..not sure how this is the case..i know both songs on guitar and they are not close

I'm not saying it was a copy (well I did, but it was a poor choice of words Embarassed), but Paul said he wrote it after hearing Paul Simon's song. He said he thought something like, "I can do a song like that." I think of this as a case of healthy cultural influence.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
imagine how Bach's fugues would have turned out had he access to a cut'n'paste drag'n'drop sequencer window...

I have no doubt at all that he would´ve used it.

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
paul e. wrote:
mosc wrote:

I'm not saying it was a copy (well I did, but it was a poor choice of words Embarassed), but Paul said he wrote it after hearing Paul Simon's song. He said he thought something like, "I can do a song like that." I think of this as a case of healthy cultural influence.

ah yes, that makes sense...

i agree, that is 'healthy cultural influence'

and an intersting tidbit of info about that song too hehe ...

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: