electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Top 5 Electronic Musicians...
Page 4 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Okay, i'd like to throw in Tod Docstader into the arena. I can recommend 'Luna Park' on Starkland records.

- All analogue tape. no synthesisers in sight Very Happy

yeah, Delia wasn't a fan of synths. she preferred to work with tape and feedback...
sleepless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Old threads never die they just get boring...... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe not 100% electronic but i would like to chime with some ov thee KRAUT rockers can,neu and cluster. Also thee mighty HAWKWIND had some great synth stuff going on.Eno-Babys On Fire single still sounds pretty good.Hell even british Bauhaus had a great little ping deal in "SPY IN THE CAB" single.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Old threads never die they just get boring...... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sleepless wrote:
maybe not 100% electronic but i would like to chime with some ov thee KRAUT rockers

Ahhh Sleepless!! Finally I've found a fellow krautrocker :))

Hawkwind? Space Ritual on very loud in the dark!!!

On the subject of Krautrock I suppose I should also add Asmus Tiechens and his LP 'Nachtstuke'. Recently It got re-issued on CD (I'm one of those lucky f**kers who has got one of the original pressings- of only 500 so haha!!) and is really well worth giving a spin. Just think Aphex Twin (ambient period) versus Renaldo and the Loaf (or The Residents if you haven't a clue what I'm on about!)

My fave Eno LP is 'Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy)'. The one after 'here come the warm jets'

And then there is Faust.......but then that's another story.

If yer like Cluster and Neu! check out both Harmonia's LP's too!! You will gush :))

Come on, you other people should stop listening to Radiohead- they're not really that groundbreaking- there's so much better stuff out there :D
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Old threads never die they just get boring...... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
sleepless wrote:
maybe not 100% electronic but i would like to chime with some ov thee KRAUT rockers

Ahhh Sleepless!! Finally I've found a fellow krautrocker Smile)

Hawkwind? Space Ritual on very loud in the dark!!!

On the subject of Krautrock I suppose I should also add Asmus Tiechens and his LP 'Nachtstuke'. Recently It got re-issued on CD (I'm one of those lucky f**kers who has got one of the original pressings- of only 500 so haha!!) and is really well worth giving a spin. Just think Aphex Twin (ambient period) versus Renaldo and the Loaf (or The Residents if you haven't a clue what I'm on about!)

My fave Eno LP is 'Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy)'. The one after 'here come the warm jets'

And then there is Faust.......but then that's another story.

If yer like Cluster and Neu! check out both Harmonia's LP's too!! You will gush Smile)

Come on, you other people should stop listening to Radiohead- they're not really that groundbreaking- there's so much better stuff out there Very Happy

I don't! I prefer heartbreaking to groundbreaking any day, just don't give me a coronary.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Old threads never die they just get boring...... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
don't give me a coronary.

So Norway is having a heatwave too??

Relax. Opinions are opinions. As a music lover I will always try to improve others taste. ;)

best

Tom
envisioned.fallacy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. Velvet Acid Christ
2. Wumpscut
3. Skinny Puppy
4. Depeche Mode
5. Aphex Twin
----------------- There's top five, but here's some more

6. Orbital
7. After Life Crisis - friend's name heh..
8. Toxic Coma ( V.A.C. Side Project)
9. Prodigy
10. Astral Projection

heh.. not really in order, because the order changes depending on the day Smile

I like more industrial tunes. Has anyone else ever heard of velvet acid christ?
Hypnagogue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steve Roach
vidnaObmana
Eno
Harold Budd
Tetsu Inouye (pardon the mis-spell)
very early Kraftwerk
Isao Tomita

and more nods for
Orb
Boards of Canada
FSOL
Aphex Twin
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a bigger list than my earlier one in May:

Steve Roach
Robert Rich
Dino Pacifici
Vir Unis
James Johnson
Ministry of Inside Things

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, here is my list:
early tangerine dream
early klaus schulze
namlook
depeche mode
robert rich
steve roach
boards of canada
bola
vidna obmana
early vangelis
early jm jarre
tetsu inoue
and many others....

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parallel Worlds wrote:
ok, here is my list:
early tangerine dream
early klaus schulze
early vangelis
early jm jarre

Laughing

Hmm... testing...

TD - Zeit - Phaedra-Ricochet-Sorcerer.. and small segments of Stratosfear ?
Vangelis .. Spiral, Albedo etc and Odes.
JMJ - when he still had the guy who made Oxygene on his payroll
KS- Cyborg-Mirage.

??

Hmm.. perhaps the moral of this story is.. "no matter what you do.. never aquire fans"

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
orczy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Parallel Worlds wrote:
ok, here is my list:
early tangerine dream
early klaus schulze
early vangelis
early jm jarre

Laughing

Hmm... testing...

KS- Cyborg-Mirage.

??

Hmm.. perhaps the moral of this story is.. "no matter what you do.. never aquire fans"

Laughing

Hmm it seems that way.
TD: Electronic Meditation-Force Majeure (don't forget Baumann and solo Froese here, both end in 79)
Vangelis: Apocalypse-Invisible Connections (with some omissions)
JMJ: Oxygene and Equinoxe
Schulze: Irrlict- X

Thats my list for the classics. Notice Vangelis is the only one for me who survives into the digital era. Eno seemed to thrive then.
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

orczy wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Parallel Worlds wrote:
ok, here is my list:
early tangerine dream
early klaus schulze
early vangelis
early jm jarre

Laughing

Hmm... testing...

KS- Cyborg-Mirage.

??

Laughing

Hmm it seems that way.
TD: Electronic Meditation-Force Majeure (don't forget Baumann and solo Froese here, both end in 79)

Thats my list for the classics. Notice Vangelis is the only one for me who survives into the digital era. Eno seemed to thrive then.

some more explaining:
TD: from ZEIT to about 1988. but including all the, recently released, bootleg boxes and 70's-early 80's concert cd's.
KS: from irrlicht to en-trance mostly.
Vangelis: from Apocalypse to el greco, but with some omissions during that long period. but i like best his albums until Direct, including Blade runner of course...
JMJ: from Oxygene to Oxygene 7-13, but not Chronology and not Revolutions. i haven't heard Aero though.

gsga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AWM wrote:
Thrones - The vovoder, the messed up industrial beats and other asorted heavily effect-drenched instruments. theres just something i love about thrones.

Lustmord - people have already sung praises of lustmord. but i'd like to advise people check out his album with the melvins called 'Pigs of the Roman Empire'.

RIGHT ON!!! Joe Preston is the man! And I AM curently digging Pigs...

-Kraftwerk
-Can
-Neu
-PiL (flowers of romance era, esp.)
-Throbbing Gristle
-NON/Boyd Rice
-Eno

Honorable mention(s)
-Matmos
-the entire Audio Dregs roster, Lullatone/Greg Davis/E*Rock, etc
-Meat Beat Manifesto

Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parallel Worlds wrote:
orczy wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Parallel Worlds wrote:
ok, here is my list:
early tangerine dream
early klaus schulze
early vangelis
early jm jarre

Laughing

Hmm... testing...

KS- Cyborg-Mirage.

??

Laughing

Hmm it seems that way.

some more explaining:
TD: from ZEIT to about 1988. but including all the, recently released, bootleg boxes and 70's-early 80's concert cd's.
KS: from irrlicht to en-trance mostly.
Vangelis: from Apocalypse to el greco, but with some omissions during that long period. but i like best his albums until Direct, including Blade runner of course...
JMJ: from Oxygene to Oxygene 7-13, but not Chronology and not Revolutions. i haven't heard Aero though.

also some additions to my favourite artists list:
ian boddy
higher intelligence agency
plaid
plone
biosphere
locust/mark van hoen
seefeel
node
aphex twin's ambient works
autechre (until before ep7)
EAR
radiohead

RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These lists are always difficult but here goes....

Mike Patton
Steve Roach
65 Days of Static
Massive Attack
Robert Rich
M.I.A.
Dino Pacifici
Jan Punter-his noodle radio at EM05 is possibly the coolest instrument ever
Mothboy
Boards of Canada

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parallel Worlds wrote:
plone

Well, well! You like Plone? The poor buggers- Warp didn't let them release their 2nd lp.

I'll tell 'em you name-checked them- they'll be chuffed :)

Incidently Mike Johnston from Plone went on to record under the name of 'Mike in Mono'. One of his singles was released on Warm Circuit (from Birmingham). He recently finished a solo project and was trying to get it released. I'll see what's happening if you like?

Tom

PS Bobby Bird of H.I.A. fame is still plodding along- but like me he has kids- which kinda soaks up one's enthusiasm to be 'creative' ;)
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Parallel Worlds wrote:
plone

Well, well! You like Plone? The poor buggers- Warp didn't let them release their 2nd lp.

I'll tell 'em you name-checked them- they'll be chuffed Smile

Incidently Mike Johnston from Plone went on to record under the name of 'Mike in Mono'. One of his singles was released on Warm Circuit (from Birmingham). He recently finished a solo project and was trying to get it released. I'll see what's happening if you like?

Tom

PS Bobby Bird of H.I.A. fame is still plodding along- but like me he has kids- which kinda soaks up one's enthusiasm to be 'creative' Wink

of course i like plone!
i have listened to their debut cd many times.
so, warp didn't want to release their second cd? and i wrongly assumed that they never composed a second cd.
and of course HIA has made some really great tracks!!!
best regards, Smile
bakis.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You shouldn't listen to the bullshit that other people (who go on hearsay) print or write on the internet. (You can trust me because they once asked if I would manage them).

They actually made 2 LP's- 1 was rejected by Warp, the other rejected by themselves- but it was the latter one which was really brilliant imo. They rejected it because they thought it was too 'badly played'. However I thought that it had unique charm.

Warp Records seriously lost it after Rob Mitchell tragically passed away. Rob was the more interesting one of the two.

But like all small record labels, when they suddenly want big money, corners have to be cut and compromises have to be made. It is always the good guys who get it in the neck.
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
You shouldn't listen to the bullshit that other people (who go on hearsay) print or write on the internet. (You can trust me because they once asked if I would manage them).

They actually made 2 LP's- 1 was rejected by Warp, the other rejected by themselves- but it was the latter one which was really brilliant imo. They rejected it because they thought it was too 'badly played'. However I thought that it had unique charm.

Warp Records seriously lost it after Rob Mitchell tragically passed away. Rob was the more interesting one of the two.

But like all small record labels, when they suddenly want big money, corners have to be cut and compromises have to be made. It is always the good guys who get it in the neck.

well, that explains the change in musical output that has occured in WARP during the last years...
best regards, Smile
bakis.

franzrosati

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautiful thread!

so that's my top 10, cause top 5 is too short. Absolutely not ordered as importance cause i think every one of that artists is better than another under a different point of view and worst than another one under an another point of view rabbit

Iannis Xenakis
Luigi Nono
Luciano Berio
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Curtis Roads
Jean-Claude Risset
Zbigniew Karkowski
Autechre
Christian Fennesz
COH

cheers

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm old (57) so I most highly value the early contributors Tomita, Kraftwerk and Larry Fast (Synergy). I wasn't into Carlos and I liked Fast's sounds more than his compositions. My favorite Fast piece is the largo from Dvorak's New World Symphony, a simple yet powerful melodic line.

I didn't continue to follow any of them because they all got more into sequencing and further from "live" playing.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RedVenice wrote:
Im adding Throbbing Gristle....fuck it!!! haha!!! They is well Conceptually Kewl!

This is an old thread! But yeah, Throbbing Gristle probably at the top of my list. Coil! Anything of that Industrial ilk really... Nurse With Wound? Front 242? Anything BUT the usual Eno and Jarre or Vangellis crap. Shocked Something with balls! Not into the nice ambient wallpaper stuff much at all...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well minus, you'd LOVE Dockstader!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahaha! I do indeed like it! Never heard that before. A little like Tristram Cary. I shall investigate this further.

I guess I was narrowing my field down with the previous comment, but it is a Top 5 list! I'll always have a soft spot for that era... or be stuck in that rut, whichever way you want to frame it. I never seemed to move on in terms of visual art, much past the 1916-1922 period either.
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tristram Cary
Harry Partch
Conny Plank
Michael Waisvisz
Brian Eno

R my 5

m

Page 4 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic