electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
NM Micro vs. NM Rack
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:

. Maybe this electro house movement is the first really international music that happened sofar..and berlin was quite a center spot at this time with a close detroit connection while chicago,new york and sanfranscisco as much as london bruxels rotterdam aso played theire parts.. The Italien was copying everything quick..the spanish offered theier ibiza as a boiling spot and al the hippy scene was celebrating in goa..And the french was late but remixed madonna Smile
A pretty global thing but even with the strong US participation never US enough to become mainstream there.

wow..that pretty much sums it up

altho since rich hawtin's Plus 8 was from windsor ontario, canada , you would have to include canada in there too ; ]

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Could be him; Dave "rave" was also engineering Skinny Puppy and NIN. You can often tell it´s him by a very typical sort of multi-tracked distortion.

Before we drop this topic; I recomend "the long hard road out of hell" which mr. Manson wrote. It´s a book mainly about his youth up to the Antichirts album and it comes with my warmest recomendations if you like his lyrics and the way he talks with MTV vj´s. Should be a bargain by now.

I just checked the liner notes and the new stuff wasn't done by Dave. Mechanical Animals was mixed by Tom Lord-Alge (ALL of his stuff sounds huge!) and Mobscene was mixed by Ben Grosse.

BTW, Thanks for the book recommendation.

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
3phase wrote:

. Maybe this electro house movement is the first really international music that happened sofar..and berlin was quite a center spot at this time with a close detroit connection while chicago,new york and sanfranscisco as much as london bruxels rotterdam aso played theire parts.. The Italien was copying everything quick..the spanish offered theier ibiza as a boiling spot and al the hippy scene was celebrating in goa..And the french was late but remixed madonna Smile
A pretty global thing but even with the strong US participation never US enough to become mainstream there.

wow..that pretty much sums it up

altho since rich hawtin's Plus 8 was from windsor ontario, canada , you would have to include canada in there too ; ]

Sure, sorry...canada is still strong... When Plus 8 turned up we first thougt that its from detroit somehow... I cant remember why...
But i heard that Windsor and Detroit are not so far from each other by distance...Is that true?... After watching thisMoore movie Canada seems however to be another world than the US Wink...
Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I think IDM got called "intelligent" by people who feel the need to feel superior in their musical taste to others .....

well... not totally true..

the term IMD is born and named after the 1992 Warp release 'Artificial Intelligence', so the word 'intelligent' does neither refer to how smart the music is made nor that you have to be Einstein to listen to it....

the term 'dance' was added to put it in the dance departement because there weren't that much genres in those days as we've got now..

personally, as an electronic musician, I find the term outdated (and a bit stupid) as well.. rather call it 'electronics' (but that doesn't cover it as well).. 'glitch' is also a very, very stupid name..
but what I find interesting, about all the fuzz in general on the term IDM, is that mostly non IDM lovers are bugging about it; are they offended by the term 'intelligent'?

it's just a name..
if you look closer to other genres, they can sound pretty stupid as well:

jungle; tree's, baboons, snakes and rain?
drum and bass: they only use a drum and a bass?
psytrance; I'am no psycho..
gabber; I'am not your friend (just for the dutch peeps)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not saying IDM is a bad name or a good one; like Poster said, it's just a name, like tree or bass.

What amazes me is that people get defensive because the word intellegent is applied in this music. There is no implication that other music is not intelligent. If I say 3Phase is intelligent, what does this imply about anyone else? Does it mean that Dave is stupid? Should Dave be offended? Certainly not.

Most of these terms for genres are vague and the definitions are ambiguous. I guess they are useful though. It blurs the meaning of the term electro-music which to me is very different from electro music. But, that is certainly for another topic.

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to make tree music on occasion Smile But when I'm not around, I'm not sure if it's still making a sound. Shocked
3phase

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'm not saying IDM is a bad name or a good one; like Poster said, it's just a name, like tree or bass.

What amazes me is that people get defensive because the word intellegent is applied in this music. There is no implication that other music is not intelligent. If I say 3Phase is intelligent, what does this imply about anyone else? Does it mean that Dave is stupid? Should Dave be offended? Certainly not.

Most of these terms for genres are vague and the definitions are ambiguous. I guess they are useful though. It blurs the meaning of the term electro-music which to me is very different from electro music. But, that is certainly for another topic.

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Its not quite the same to call a person intelligent because everybody knows that there are very very stupid persons around...you know that there are stupid people ..and intelligent people..what dont essetially is the the same as smart people...

Even when its hard to hold to it i considered my self that there is no stupid music because when it gets the most dreadfull it at least sells a lot and is therefore smart Smile

I also did once a record that was marked with the intellient techno stamp ( what is the same as idm as i heard here).. The only difference to other tracks was that it was supposed to be an ambient album...Because that it was quick to produce ( just slow it down lots of reverb..its easy) and therefore it was quick money.. In the end..A rather intelligent production Smile much better than twiddeling weeks on syntheziser sounds and drums...

Just to make clear what i want to say... There are maybe intelligent or smart productions...but you find them in any genre. The creation of subgenres with the word intelligent inside just shows that the sellers of the music dont had a name for a drawer by hand to cattegorize the music. This actually speeks for the music within this genre but dont makes it more intelliggent than a childs song. The nature of music is to be liked..it dont needs to be intelligent to achieve this goal.
Most musicans know that the best moments in the creation of music come from somewher else than the brain. And therefore i think genre names that contain the word intelligent are stupid...
techno is a stupid name...drum and bass is great .-) i would have loved if they would have called techno drum&bass ... Techno sounds like a Disney invention...and this in contrast to idm....uargh Mad
Electronic dance music and electronica...or electro acoustics.... this are better names because they dont get a bad taste so easily...
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NM Micro vs. NM Rack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poster wrote:
Hi all,
I currently own a NM Micro and thinking about buying a NM1 Rack..
I know what the technical differences are but I never heard the Rack in action..

Can someone explain me what the audible differences are?
I mean mono bass, fm/glitches and percussion would sound pretty much the same but is there a real audible difference in pads, leads and drones?
Is it worth the upgrade?

thanks..
Poster

In case you're not aware of it, the Rack and MM have the same DSP hardware.
The Rack has more of the same hardware, so you cna create more complex patches, OR patches with more polyphony, and somewhere in -between. So in those regards, if you created a more complex patch that would exceed the MM capability, then you could create patches on the Rack that you wouldn't hear on the MM.

I have both, but I don't use the MM much, except for when I travel (which is not a lot).
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: NM Micro vs. NM Rack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Poster wrote:
Hi all,
I currently own a NM Micro and thinking about buying a NM1 Rack..
I know what the technical differences are but I never heard the Rack in action..

Can someone explain me what the audible differences are?
I mean mono bass, fm/glitches and percussion would sound pretty much the same but is there a real audible difference in pads, leads and drones?
Is it worth the upgrade?

thanks..
Poster

In case you're not aware of it, the Rack and MM have the same DSP hardware.
The Rack has more of the same hardware, so you cna create more complex patches, OR patches with more polyphony, and somewhere in -between. So in those regards, if you created a more complex patch that would exceed the MM capability, then you could create patches on the Rack that you wouldn't hear on the MM.

I have both, but I don't use the MM much, except for when I travel (which is not a lot).

I had a MM for traveling aswell but I sold it, put 200.-€ on top and got a NM rack..What equals 4 MM. I came along that even when the MM is a great little machine i was used to program the big M too much..There is a lot of things you miss on the micro... Like a display with names...
The possibility to send one patch to another slot via the audio inputs..
The possibility to layer sounds by increasing the voice count ( makes a lot of big sounds)
The possibility to layer sounds. And create really heavy tghings with that..
And last not least polyphony.. there was some beatyfull string sounds and virtual modeling patches form people like Dave Peck and Chet Singer that needed to be played polyphonic to show theiere quality.
When szise dont matters the NM1 is a phantastic deal if you compare it with the MM and its actual secondhandprice.
Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you all for your responses..
I think I'am convinced now to swap my MM for the Rack..
thanks,
Poster..
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"The Rack has more of the same hardware, so you cna create more complex patches"

How is this possible ? I think i'm missing something here... Wasn't the 100% DSP usage limit for one voice the same on both machines ?
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
"The Rack has more of the same hardware, so you cna create more complex patches"

How is this possible ? I think i'm missing something here... Wasn't the 100% DSP usage limit for one voice the same on both machines ?

Yes- I should have stated that differently.

With the Rack, you can play up to 4 patches at the same time, where the olyphony is divided among the 4 slots.

If you use the same patch in all 4 slots, and select all 4 slots at the same time, with some slight detunings in each slot, or very subtle modulations here & there in different slots, you effectively are playing 1 patch.

(sorry for the confusion)
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: