electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Additive synth
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Additive synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Additive synthesis is elusive. Although it is very simple to understand, it isn’t that easy to implement.

Of course, the most obvious way is to equip each partial with ist own loudness envelope. But although comprehensive, this method is rather uninviting for intuitive use.

The crux therefore is to arrive at a macrostructural parametrisation which is effective while still being practical in use.

The attached patch is an attempt at this. It’s a 16-partial additive synth using the following parameters:

Position, Scape, Depth: Imagine the partial levels being horizontally aligned from left to right –just like a graphic EQ or meter bridge. Now, imagine being able to introduce „peaks and valleys“ into this horizontal graph, boosting some partials while drowning out others. That’s exactly what these parameters do.
The Scape parameter determines how close these „peaks and valleys“ are (and therefore also how many of them there are, as they spread over the 16 partials). The more you raise the Scape parameter, the closer the hills and valleys move together.
Depth controls the steepness of this scape –the more this parameter is increased, the greater the difference between peaks and valleys become. (Obviously, when Depth is zero, the Scape parameter has no effect.) This is a bipolar parameter, enabling the inversion of the scape.
Position finally controls the position of the fundamental partial in this scape –an offset, so to speak. This parameter wraps around many times.

Base: The base level, to which the scape is added. This is a bipolar parameter, enabling the „drowing out“ of the scape, so that only the highest „peak“ partials are audible.

Slant: this bipolar parameter finally introduces a slant into our scape, allowing to „tilt“ the partial spectrum towards the high or low partials respectively.

All these parameters are represented by multi-stage envelopes, enabling some interesting timbral motions.

Additional features are: toggling between even and odd partials via morph group 8 (attention: values 0-126 = even, 127=odd; this is „odd“ indeed but that’s Clavia for ya…), a nice chorus-delay, and the customary beloved reverb module.

7 variations, ready to play. Variation 8 is an init patch.

The variations are just some fast tweaks. It will take me some more time to fully explore the potential of this approach. I hope you feel invited to explore, too.

Have fun.

tim

Disclaimer: owners of unexpanded G2s, beware! This is a DSP-hungry patch. Sorry...

AdditiveSynth TK.pch2
 Description:
16-partial additive synthesizer with nifty macrostructure

Download
 Filename:  AdditiveSynth TK.pch2
 Filesize:  8.6 KB
 Downloaded:  2107 Time(s)

Rix

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent Idea !
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, this is really nice! i love it! Exclamation
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very smart design Exclamation

Esp. the trick with the wavewrappers is nice.

mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

coooool one soshin! thumb up
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, you are really onto something here. This make some very beautiful sounds. Very expressive playing. Even though you have "simplified" additive synthesis with these new parameters, it's not intuitive how these work. I'll have to spend some time with this, but it's worth it.

I'm no expert on this kind of synthesis, but it seems to me that this is pretty significant work in the field. My take on this is that you have not just posted another G2 patch, but you've taken a serious step in developing the art of synthesis. Congratulations.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow -thanks for the enthusiasm, folks. Glad you like it.

Yes, Howard, I know what you mean by "not intuitive". It takes some imagination to really understand what these abstracted parameters really do. That's why I made a point of explaining them in the initial post. I think the "graphic equalizer with hills and valleys" visual analogy is helpful to grasp what's actually going on.

Ironically, additive synthesis never interested me in the slightest up to now. But browsing though some threads pertaining FFT, I suddenly had this idea of building a synth that would be able to impose a time-variant function onto the volumes of a bank of partials. Experiments with CtrlSeq lookup tables didn't work out since they don't wrap around (and building modulo functions for a comprehensive number of partials is promptly sabotaged by the mem% bottleneck). Also, I personally am a lazy person, and am put off by having to tweak multiple lookup tables when experimenting. So I opted for the wavewrapper module, which provided the core idea: the "Scape" function.

I wish I had the time right now to dive into this model and come up with some better variations, as I believe there are some gold mines hidden in there. But this week is filled up with tour rehearsals, and the weekend with the first gigs. Oh well...

But I already have some new ideas in this vein... we see...

cheers to all,
tim
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beauty, thanx!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim, I'm so happy you came back to us... love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Tim, I'm so happy you came back to us... love

Laughing ... yeah, I'm happy I'm back too.

Interestingly, now I'm loving the G2 more than ever! It's my dream machine.

I made the common mistake of blaming my lack of skill on the tool rather than myself. The "coldness of sound", which the G2 is often accused of, is just a neutralness, IMO. And if you think about it, that's actually the way it should be for a modular system. Creating the "character" should be the responsibility of the user.

Anyway -I'm already onto some new ideas along the "additive route". Dunno yet if they will work out, but I'll let ya know.

cheers,
tim
jofb

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds great! thumleft thanks for sharing i have not seen anyting like it before Shocked it will take some time to understand but i´m having fun already banana
dahwoud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Simply awesome ... really intuitive additive synthesis approch ... For me, the best G2 patch ... not an other 303 like. This is a way G2 have to go ... your patch remember me kind of beauty coming from my beloved K5000R rack Very Happy ... Additive synthesis under rated ... Razz

Guy respect, your rock !!
monokit

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not owning the hardware yet, I'd love to hear an mp3 of this one!
Please? Wink
taylor12k

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i highly recommend anyone interested in additive synthesis to take a long, serious look at Virsyn's CUBE 2 software synth.

it's been my favorite soft syntth since the day i bought it... absolutely beautiful.. if you're into additive..

virsyn.com

and harry, the guy who makes it, is quite friendly and responsive to questios..
dahwoud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Factory K5000R/S demos ...

click here
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: