electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
shuffle/swing on a micro?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seawolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: shuffle/swing on a micro? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, I recently got a Micro Modular and I'm wondering how some of you may have shuffled the clock outputs?

Thanks!
-Elijah
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

essentially it's just syncing two clocks together (or 2 squarewave LFO's), and using the output to clock whatever you want clocking. But bear in mind that the NM1 won't send clock out. Only the G2 allows you to do that- if I'm not mistaken.

Experiment! It's fun :)
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it does, the NM is fully capable of sending it's MIDI clock to sync other devices, just not of generating shuffled clock in a pach and outputting this.
seawolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, I meant the clock module's virtual outputs, not wired outputs. Thanks a lot, I didn't think to use two clocks, but it makes perfect sense.

Cheers!
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seawolf wrote:
sorry, I meant the clock module's virtual outputs, not wired outputs. Thanks a lot, I didn't think to use two clocks, but it makes perfect sense.

Cheers!

something in the comunication is going wrong here; I realy have no idea what you are refering to but if you found what you need then all is fine with me.

seawolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Come to think of it, I am not sure either Smile, but I found the advice useful, still working on perfecting the method though.

The bit about the G1 not being able to send MIDI clock out was confusing, because I had done that, and so I thought v-un-v meant something else... but what it was that I thought v meant... I am not sure. I have not seen a G2 in action.

Thanks a lot.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seawolf wrote:

The bit about the G1 not being able to send MIDI clock out was confusing,

yeah sorry 'bout that- my mistake :)

I've never used the internal clock to send an outward clock on my NM, only the other way round.

Tom
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The internal clock can be very usefull because it allows you to sync up all four patches when no other gear is around.
seawolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I've never used the internal clock to send an outward clock on my NM, only the other way round.

Actually, to put some more icing on the confusion cake, I think that you were right, and I got confused about who was sending sync to whom....

I don't think one can do MIDI clock out from a NM, at least not from a micro...

But if this is so, then what purpose does my micro's "MIDI out" port serve? I have not seen a "MIDI out" module.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm, yes, that might be true; perhaps the micro has no clock that can output; I have a rack one.

I used to use the clock like this; I'd turn on the clock to internal and some BPM. That would make the internal clock available for each patch from the "midi general" module; I'd sync all four patches (for example split in two songs with each son having a patch for beats and one for melodic noises); that way it would all sync and I could recombine sounds from both songs during a transition and my outboard effect (I used a DP/2 at the time) would be synced up too through the MIDI out from the NM for rithmic delays.

This is less usefull for the Micro which has only one patch and so there is nothing to sync. You are right that there is no MIDI clock out module; for the Rack and the Kyb. versions the machine simply outputs the clock on the "out" port if the clock is set to "internal".

I hope that answers your questions. You can still do nice shuffles in the Micro synced to external clocks (for example from your computer or drum machine), we could go into those if you'd like?

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seawolf wrote:

But if this is so, then what purpose does my micro's "MIDI out" port serve? I have not seen a "MIDI out" module.

Whoops, didn't adress that. At the very least you'll be able to use your knobs to controll things outside of the Micro. Asigning a knob to a MIDI cc will make it receive that cc but you can also use such a knob to controll your favourite softsynth if you aren't using the Micro at the moment. Ok, actually, you can also do this if you *are* using the micro at the moment; that would enable you to for example sweep a filter in the micro up while also sweeping a filter in the computer up at the same time; that might sometimes be usefull, basically you could create a inter-instrument-morph.

"midi clock" will be in your synth setting pannel in the editor if it's there at all.

seawolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot Kassen, you answered all my questions. I'm going to do some clockwork Wink soon as I get home.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: