electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jaime Rosselló uses Live to create music for fashion shows
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Jaime Rosselló uses Live to create music for fashion shows Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
User Story - Jaime Rosselló
November 2003

Jaime Rosselló uses Ableton Live to create music for fashion shows. Recently he won two awards for one of the most renowned fashion shows, the Cibeles in Madrid.

Ableton talked to him about his extraordinary way of using Live for fashion shows.

“Jose Miro asked me to compose some music for his summer collection 2004. His collection is inspired by Japan, Africa, Cuba and India. The models came out in such a way that Africa appeared first, followed by Cuba, Japan, futurist Japan and finally India. In total, there were 36 models for whom I had to create music.

I used the experience as a study in recording. The models backstage usually follow an order but each one has her own pace, and to put her to sounds previously recorded onto CD is practically impossible. Also, on an artistic level, I needed to sync all the music through the percussion and instruments of each country, including electronics in the futuristic parts.

The solution lies in being able to do things in real-time. Someone told me about a program that could sequence in real-time; that quantizes and lets you add effects to every track. Eureka! That is, Live unites me with the percussion of each country. With the feedbacks of the delays I can unite apparently disparate percussive elements. I can rove half the world from Cuba to Africa, or from Africa to India, etc. Each country has a pad that fires off before the costumes from that country begin to appear. All synchronized!

I work with loops in Logic and then I turn them around in Ableton Live. Every model has a sound, I have a photo of the model and an announcer tells me, “model 6!” I look for her in the Live interface and two seconds before the model enters through the doorway, I trigger the loop so that the Japanese costume is greeted with a big “GOOONG!”

I work with a monitor and the models pass in front of me four seconds before going down the runway, I see them through a little window (my friends joke, “Concentrate on the Ableton window, not on the other!”), and I trigger the sample. To the public eye it looks like perfect choreography, and the result was the L’oreal prize for the best runway show in Pasarela Cibeles, the most important fashion event in Spain.”

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great post, very interesting. There's an interview with Han Zimmer. He's into LIVE also. He says:

Hans Zimmer wrote:
The current industry standard is Pro Tools. Everything is delivered on Pro Tools. In the future, I want to use LIVE to deliver all my cues.

Anyone have any experience with LIVE?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Anyone have any experience with LIVE?

I do Exclamation It's a great application. the user interface, if you are used to something like a sequencer, can be frustrating at first but it's worth the steep learning curve.
You can download Live Demo (3.0.1) here. Very Happy

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a positive review for LIVE in Keyboard Magazine recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have Live. I got it bundled with the Firewire-410 interface. It is interesting, but I havent yet figured out how I can use it for my music. Well, it seems to be a loop player with efx and I cannot see where that one fits in with what I do.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
i have Live.

what's the version you have Question
the last one (v.3) is way cooler than the previous ones
What's new in Live 3?
I think you could easily integrate the Clip Envelopes feature in your music:

Clip Envelopes
Clip Envelopes extend Live's "elastic" approach to audio by allowing you to achieve endless variations of a sample. Every clip in Live contains independent envelopes enabling you to draw pitch, volume, warping, mixer and effect parameters. The sample is processed non-destructively and in real-time.

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the Ableton Live 2.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I have the Ableton Live 2.

If the version bundled with the Firewire-410 interface allows you to upgrade to version 3 (and I am quite sure it does) I would seriously think of investing a few
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
and step up to version 3.
Listen to uncle Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe.... true... yes... I can probably upgrade it. Dunno... I have no idea how I can use it yet. -But the list of version 3 features is interesting. Preparing loops for use with Live seems to me to be a lot of work, but then I might be to set in my oldish ways.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: