electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
New - hierarchical forums and database kept unread
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: New - hierarchical forums and database kept unread Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've installed a big software upgrade that will provide both hierarchical forums and an improved method to keep track of topics unread.

Instead of using cookies for keeping track of unread topics, we are now keeping that in the database. This should be more robust, but in order for it to work well, the cookies must be expired. This will take a while depending on the last time you visited the site relative to the upgrade.

I've not included any hierarchial forums, yet. First we need to get some experience just running the upgraded software. Please let us know if you see any problem. Send mosc a PM or and email to admin@electro-music.com.

Update: 12-26-03 - I'm going to start moving existing forums around. The idea is to get rid of the category "News, Views, Reviews, and Schmooze". With the new software. Categories are optional.

Thanks....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exciting!

BTW: THe old feature.. when you hit http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts - the list would stay but new posts would enter the list.. and read posts and threads would be marked as read... but for the whole session the list would not go away..

Now this feature is gone.. and I have a hard time finding my way back to posts that are still unsanswered etc.. I liked this feature.. like first be able to read all the new stuff.. then later in the session start the posting frenzy..

What happened??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
What happened??

I'm not sure. I think it still works, only since you reconnected after the new feature, it may be equivalent to a total reset. Don't know. Can you get on AIM? We can run some tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AIM..? well.. not right now.

The old http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

feature was great.. I have this URL as my default start page.
All the new posts... and additions would stay until I actually closed the web browser app. Great feature!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The old http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

feature was great.. I have this URL as my default start page.
All the new posts... and additions would stay until I actually closed the web browser app. Great feature!

Ahhh. I see. It was the keeping of the posts even after you read them that you liked. The problem is that if your browser got killed, it lost track of the unread topics. That was what has been killing me, and a few others have complained also. I guess now, once you read a topic, it gets taken away from the list.

Hmmm. There must be some way to see the most recent posts. I know there is a mod for that one. Maybe I better go get it and install it.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah... hmm.. sure... if the browser dies the listing of the new posts goes away too... sad story...
but I really loved this featuare anyway.. the page http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts used to be the best place on the web...!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG... Shocked

What have I done. Question Question Question Shocked
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. I will write the trilogy and have Peter Jackson make the movies! Then you will get the drift of what you have done!
! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fine on the triolgy, but please, make it shorter. I saw Return of the King last night. I was both thrilled and underwhelmed. But that's certainly OT.

Back to the topic. Do you think I should uninstall this mod, or go get the show 10 latest topics mod? The search still works, only the read ones go away.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can add a 10/15 latest mod??

I am still wondering how this will work when like I have been away for like a few weeks.. and get back online and will read all the 200 new posts first.. then start posting myself.. hmm... dunno.. what do the others think??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It'll take a while people to sleep off their parties. In the meantime, I'll go off to PHPBBland and an see what I can dig up.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are right.. and in my case... I will have to attend to my

fenalÄr
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

and

akevitt

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Actually, this Christmas I was thinking of Carlo. I was at an Italian restaurant and the Italian waiter insisted I try a Peroni, an Italian beer. He said if I didn't like it, it would be free. It was pretty good, although I don't know a lot about beer.

I do know enough about the Italians who run this particular restaurant to never tell them the beer was not good. Laughing
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Actually, this Christmas I was thinking of Carlo.

we are off topic but you asked for it:
Peroni official site very nice Flash animation
pizzandgarlicbread.com WOW Exclamation
Mr. Peroni wrote:
Caption: Franco Peroni, International Business Director for Peroni Beer, recorded a radio commercial recently. The new Peroni spot will begin airing in the Boston area on June 17 and run through July 7. The commercial's premise is based on normal date situation in a Boston North End Italian restaurant where typical male and female stereotypes are depicted "with a bit of humor." At the end of the spot, Franco Peroni reads copy that ties Peroni Beer to the North End to generate local interest. "We are pleased to tie in to the North End, one of Boston's most famous and intriguing historical destinations," said Peroni as he recorded the spot in Rome. "The commercial helps bring the Peroni brand to life for local Bostonians and helps set it apart from out competition in an area where restaurant customers appreciate authentic Italian brands," Birra Peroni is imported by Barton Beers of Chicago.

I worked as a waiter in more than one North End Italian restaurants during my years in Boston Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
THe old feature.. when you hit http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts - the list would stay but new posts would enter the list.. and read posts and threads would be marked as read... but for the whole session the list would not go away..

Now this feature is gone.. and I have a hard time finding my way back to posts that are still unsanswered etc.. I liked this feature.. like first be able to read all the new stuff.. then later in the session start the posting frenzy..

What happened??

Stein is right. that feature was very helpful to keep track of new posts.
I would really like to have it back Exclamation
thanks in advance Howard Very Happy

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sent off a message to the software's developer and I'll wait until I hear from him.

Nice site the Preoni people have.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question. Are you guys, Stein and Carlo, not seeing anything when you go to the http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts link? Not even unvisited links?

If so. Try removing the cookie from your browser.

--Howard
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Question. Are you guys, Stein and Carlo, not seeing anything when you go to the http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts link? Not even unvisited links?

If so. Try removing the cookie from your browser.

--Howard

Example:
I log in and see:
You last visited on Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:23 pm
The time now is Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:05 pm
if now I click on "View posts since last visit" I can see new posts only once: if I click on a new post ( and open it) it will disappear from the list and if I click again on "View posts since last visit" it will not be there anymore. New posts used to stay on the list until the end of a session and I found this feature very useful. I do not know if I am making myself clear.

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that is perfectly clear. Thanks. I've been playing with this all day and haven't made any progress... Crying or Very sad
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it looks like I can not see my new posts if I click "View posts since last visit"

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how is that possible?

You last visited on Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:25 am
The time now is Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:28 am

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
how is that possible?

Hmmm. Maybe you've been reading Ray Bradbury lately? Smile

I'm going to back out of this latest software upgrade. It'll take a few hours.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Maybe you've been reading Ray Bradbury lately? Smile

well you are right....I am reading again Martian Chronicles (a great book)
see also
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-949.html

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

You last visited on Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:25 am
The time now is Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:28 am

Carlo, is it possible that the time on your computer and the time on the server are different? I don't know how the time zone thing works. I think the time of your last visit is kept in a cookie on your local machine, and the time is now is coming from the server. I don't think this is associated with the recent software upgrade (sic).
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Carlo, is it possible that the time on your computer and the time on the server are different?

yes but when I log in they "syncronize" (usually)

mosc wrote:
I don't think this is associated with the recent software upgrade (sic).

I think so Very Happy

Quote:
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: