electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
WaveScanner
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: WaveScanner Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks,

In my ongoing quest for obstruse DSP-efficient patching beyond the VCO-VCF paradigm, here's a fun one I came up with:

A triangle osc is used to scan a CtrlSeq module (filled with whatever) at audiorate; modulate its amplitude and offset with multistage envelopes -presto!

Sounds can get from sync-like to PWM, wavesequencing and quasi-additive.

There's a pitch env that can be looped (to be used as an LFO), and you can use the CtrlSeq Xfade parameter as a four-position static filter. DSP-cheapness was prime concern, so there's no fancy stuff otherwise. Nevertheless it's amazing how complex this single-osc patch can sound.

It gets six voices per DSP, so that should make 22 voices plus FX from an unexpanded G2. (I use the G2X, so I can't tell...)

Four variations done, the remaining four to be completed by YOU.

Enjoy.

WaveScanner TK.pch2
 Description:
simple DSP-efficient design with unusual timbral possibilities

Download
 Filename:  WaveScanner TK.pch2
 Filesize:  2.27 KB
 Downloaded:  2065 Time(s)

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one, bravo! I discovered the same idea a while ago, too ...

/Dasz
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is amazing in that it is so efficient. Nice sounds too. Would you call this a form of wave table synthesis. Isn't this a wave table oscillator, of sorts. It only has 16 stages, but one could hook up a bunch of sequencers and get more if they wanted. Am I missing something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Howard,

I have spent considerable time with this concept ... some of it was shown at nordwest05 ...

its not just an osc, it can be used as an lfo, or a trippy sequencer ...

speaking of which I gotta get more materials from grimley ...
/Dasz
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dasz,
I didn't mean to claim original authorship on this concept. It's just a little cheap synth that sounds alot more complex than it looks.

Just having fun futzing around, as they say...
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks TK for this patch. I have also been experimenting with sequencers as wavetables (result is also around here somewhere), but I used the linear sequencers. Your usage of the control sequencer is very elegant, making it a lot easier to get timbre changes, and the xfade option makes it a lot smoother (if you want it to be). Very cool!!

edit: wow, I never noticed how this xfade button worked, but it is actually very cool. The help-function isn't very clear on this (it just says it's linear crossfading, but doesn't explain what 25% linear crossfading means), but some experimenting with a constant module to the input of the control seq learns that it relates to the part of the control input range over which crossfading happens between separate sequencer steps. With lower percentages of xfade, the crossfading happens over a smaller part of the input range between steps. Ah well, maybe this was obvious to everyone, but not te me *insert emoticon that bangs head to a brick wall*.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice trick, lots of ariations for cheap !
dasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey tim,

bravo again, this simple concept is a great starting point for going in a many directions (no pun intended Wink ), opening a lot of new possibilities ... sadly I do not get to go too far (as my nording is very limited due to rsi, and requires the help of my engineer -- for mousing).

the only ownership i claim is that of my beloved G2s Laughing .... aaand this patch ...

[WaveWalker_DZ]
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-7646.html&highlight=wavewalker

its cool we named the starting concept almost the same ... wavewalker adds a number of additional wavewalking tricks and modulations ... but its part of my set, thus I can't post it Sad

cheers,
/Dasz
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice sounds, Dasz, but I don't quite see the point in posting clips of patches you are not intending to share anyway.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i like the way your patch sounds, tim...
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
Very nice sounds, Dasz, but I don't quite see the point in posting clips of patches you are not intending to share anyway.

I Have to agree with this, its a little like showing kids sweets (candy) and not letting them taste them!

Cheers

Andy
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry folks,

But maybe this patch might appear in a future G2 soundset? Who knows....

/Dasz
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Sorry folks,

But maybe this patch might appear in a future G2 soundset? Who knows....

/Dasz

Stop dangling those sweets, I'm getting hungry!

CHeers

Andy
dasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm dangling just as the rest of you ...

But from now on, I will make a point NOT to post mp3's of patches I do not intend to share. Although its called "online music" and just because it used a patch I love, but I guess there are strings attached ....

/Dasz
deknow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz, i think you are being treated quite unfairly in this respect. imho, by posting an audio file, you are showing some possibilities that (clearly) those who are criticizing you didn't see before you posted them. if people want to be handfed patches, they can hire someone to write them, or buy a machine that has all they want in preset form....the g2 is designed for creating, not simply dl'ing patches. didn't we just see someone selling patches culled from internet postings?

if you were a leech, demanding help, using other people's patches, and refusing to share anything i would feel differantly....but that is clearly not the case. you are more than entitled to keep propriatary techniques to yourself, and we will all loose out if you only post sounds you are willing to post the patch for as well. if people choose to see this as opressive rather than inspirational...well, that's their problem (imho).

deknow
dasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow,

thanks for standing up for me... Maybe I am too kind a guy and would like to make everyone happy ...

I will resume posting stuff in online music even if I do not want to share it ...
/Dasz
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:

I will resume posting stuff in online music even if I do not want to share it ...
/Dasz

thank you for changing your mind again :-)

I agree with deknow, it's entirely up to you wether you post your patches or not and wether you post mp3's of such patches or not. All contributions are welcome, AFAIK.

dasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coming from you Jan, means a lot to me ...

I hope to meet you in person one day, maybe at EM2006?
/Dasz
G2egory

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with the idea that that sound clips can be posted without the requirement of posting the patch. Still being a child on the G2X, I like to be nurse-fed patches. It helps me learn and understand. But what is most important to me is building an understanding of all the sound possibilities the G2/G2X can offer. So please keep posting music and sounds that you and your G2/G2X have created. You can share your patch later if you wish. Some of us may try to recreate the voicings of your patch and create something beautiful in its own right by our efforts. That is one thing the G2X has instilled in me: a quest of listening to natural and unnatural sounds and thinking about how to re-create and speak them using the vocabulary of the G2 modules.

Cool
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: