electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
The great EBAY debate continued...............
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
devilfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: The great EBAY debate continued...............
Subject description: Patch ownership
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok,

I removed my listing as of now until i have some clarification on a few things...

(see LOCKED thread titled Every now and then)

I wouldnt want to be seen as unreasonable or disregarding peoples opinions.

Please can you clarify as owners/administrators of the nord modular archive.

A: Who owns the patches ?

B: What are the patches terms of use?

C: When is a patch that has been modified from an existing patch different enough to be called a separate entity?

D: What is "Free" defined as with regards to patches?

E: Would the owners of this site like to elaborate on the email sent to me purporting to be from the owner/representing the owner of this site?

Thanks

Twisted Evil Devilfish.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
As far as copyright of the individual patches is concerned, ALL THE PATCHES ARE MARKED WITH MY COPYRIGHT.

As there are a finite number of combinations of the modules in the editor any similarities with patches contained anywhere else is purely coincidental, Besides you cannot copyright module configurations!!!!

I don´t think copyright holds much value in the face of prior art which would be fairly easy to prove in this case.

Capslock and exclamation marks aside, module configurations are creative works and so are inherently copyrighted. Just like a finite amount of patches is possible, there´s a finite amount of cd quality wave files possible for a length between 3 and 4 minutes. wether the amount of options is finite does not affect wether or not it can be copyrighted. In fact; speciffic module configurations might wel constitute a implementation of a algorithem and as such might be patented.

If you´d reason that you figured it was implied that people were waving rights in publishing patches without claims to authorship then I might agree to some degree, but you didn´t.

Furthermore, it´s my impression that you are a fuckwit who´s showing clear signs that he´s well aware of how ethically wrong his greed is looking, who´s now realising that this particularl greed inspirered scam isn´t going to satisfy his greed at all due to a smaller-then-estimated market and who´s trying to hide his insecurity about this, as well as trying to postpone admitting failure to himself, by going into rather misplaced agressive behaviour.

Welcome to the site, BTW, made any particularly interesting patches lately?

Last edited by Kassen on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
devilfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so sue me?

Razz
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i wouldn't have a problem with someone charging 5pounds to supply all these patches on a cd _if_ they credited who wrote them (this would be the hard work or clever programing that would make such a service valuable to everyone involved).

claiming copyright for yourself is totally ridiculous and unjustified on any legal, moral, or ethical grounds. claiming that you actually went through the trouble of opening each patch in the editor is just funny.

this is bottom feeding behaviour, and you are not likely to get good vibes from the community that does all the work that you are taking credit for.

deknow
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

devilfish wrote:
so sue me?

:P

I'm the person who sent you the original letter. I don't remember being aggressive- just enlightening you to this situation.

But I can't believe how arrogant you are being here. Do you really have no respect? I don't believe that.

No we won't sue you- all we are asking is that you stop it now. There that's a nice and friendly request :) I'm also inviting you to come and share patches with us and 'hang-out' with us.

But then if you can't- and you refuse to see that this is all a bit stupid, then there will be no option but to get you banned from ebay uk. If you sart up again, we will get you banned again, and again. catch my drift?

warmest regards,

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...also, threatening to buy electro80 INSTANT coffee is fighting words! everyone stay clear so you don't get caught in the crossfire!

deknow
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The title of this new thread is grossly misleading. This is no great debate.
All the facts are already settled. A kid has been passing off community work as his own and he is selling this on eBay. Clearly he has no deep understanding of the very nature of many of these patches. None of his arguments are sensible and he is seeing this himself. He also freely confessed rebranding the lot and he suddenly understood what this is really about. Anyways, it is too late. This is now documented in the locked thread. I was hoping for a full confession and we got it.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...also, threatening to buy electro80 INSTANT coffee is fighting words! everyone stay clear so you don't get caught in the crossfire!

deknow

Like playing tennis with a Claymore.. not recommendable unless your name is Bjorn.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Develfish :

this offer I saw on the ebay page of emailing a complete list to interested people, does that one still hold ? I'm interested, and hereby ask :-)

Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

people like this one will never learn the value of real work and the pleasure to see their own efforts being successfull. Anyway we, on this board, share something more priceless that can't be stolen and reselled: knowledge.

Luca

seawolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: it probably wouldn't hurt to... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It might be a good idea to look into one of these for our respective patches....
http://www.creativecommons.org/

and so, does anyone know of a way to add

; /* comments */

into a .pch file?

Cheers
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know about the .pch file format, but that is fully understood I think,

As for the Creative Commons, that's good, certainly better than nothing, but it is very vague. For example, if you want you can permit use but not for commercial purposes. What does that mean?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seawolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe that a 'commercial use' would be any situation where the material was used specifically as a commodity for exchange.

You're right, these licenses are a bit vague in some ways. I'd like to see how they hold up in a court situation, all I see in discussions across the web is basically this same question.

But if anything, these licenses serve the purpose of diffusing some of the grey areas about how the material may be redistributed and used.

Last edited by seawolf on Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: it probably wouldn't hurt to... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seawolf wrote:

and so, does anyone know of a way to add

; /* comments */

into a .pch file?

You could use the text pad (in the Patch menu), or you could write it onto the modules.

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: