electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Simulating consonants
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tusker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Simulating consonants Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a great deal of fun playing with the vocal filter today. It is amazing the amount of study of the throat resonances that has been done isn't it?

I thought it might be a good exercise to learn how to do consonants. Wondering if anybody in the community has done that sort of thing.

I imagine sibilants are essentially filtered white noise and plosives are low frequency thumps, but I was wondering if anybody has done any actual study into the spectra and time based change (envelope shapes)? Care to share?

Jerry
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should pay close attention to Mr. Kees Van Der Maarel (sorry if I'm not spelling it right). He has made several patches for both the NM1 & G2 that make them talk. Check the archives for anything by him & you should find several examples. "Stroopwafels!" amd "Clavia" and "Akosua" are some that I remember. Maybe he'll chime in here with some handy tips and hints for making consonants.
Tusker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found them.

Thanks to Mr. Kees Vander Maarel my Nord is saying Cawfee, right now. Laughing

There is a wealth of patching theory in the archive. Thank you.

Jerry
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

Here, too: the section on Speech Synthesis from James J. Clark's 'Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers'

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_speech.html
Tusker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's awesome. I was looking for a taxonomy of consonants, and that is certainly helpful. I'll try out some of his patches for the stopped consonants and see where that takes me.

Cheers,

Jerry
Kees

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tusker wrote:
That's awesome. I was looking for a taxonomy of consonants, and that is certainly helpful. I'll try out some of his patches for the stopped consonants and see where that takes me.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
Indeed in the past I made several artificial speech patches for the NM 1.
More of these can be found at:
http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/011_Patches/Maarel_Kees_van_der/

Speech patches are recognizable by two exclamation marks at the end of the patch name. I hope they can give you ideas for your own talking patches...

Greetings,

Kees van der Maarel.
Tusker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Kees. Your patches are an inspiration.

I want to construct a lead patch where I can trigger a few simple phonemes at or after key-on using additional controllers (or a second note zone). A silly scat-singing parlor trick.

Du, Dah, Bap, DuDuDuDu DuBap Very Happy

Jerry
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: