electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
The studio
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: The studio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some people, off line, have asked me to post a photo of my studio. I'm posting it here with the hope that one picture is worth a thousand words.

Left side:
Top shelf
    CD player
    DAT recorder
    Dual cassette deck
    5.1 amplifier/receiver
    Capybara 320 (Kyma hardware 12 DSPs/8 Channel I/O)
Second shelf
    Emagic Unitor8 MIDI interface
    Alesis Midiverb III
    Center channel speaker
Third Shelf
    Mackie 1642 VLZ PRO Mixer
    Nord Modular Synthesizer
    CM Motor Mix
Lower Shelf
    MIXI Midi contorller
    Kurzweil PC2X controller/synthesizer (General Midi/Orchestra expansion ROMs)
    Neckville electric/MIDI banjo (not visible)
    Roland GR 33 guitar synthesizer (not visible)
    Roland SC88 Pro (not visible)
Right side:
    Moog IIC modular synthesizer
    Home-made hardware sequencer (upper left)
    Electronic Music Associates (EMA) PS-1 phase shifter (top left)
    EMA RM-1 ring modulator (right of phase shifter)
    Roland MPU-101 MIDI/CV converter (not visible)
    Small Yamaha MIDI keyboard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a "comfortable" set up! I had to chuckle when I first saw your studio's picture - your desk looks just like mine! Flat surfaces are at a premium and are almost as valuable as good patch cables! I have a question for you - when you are composing, do you monitor in 5.1 or is that only after recording etc..? I had a conversation with a gentleman several years ago about doing performances in quad with a sub-woofer system (4.1) Unfortunately I have never gotten to where I was using quad though it is on my list of "things to do". I think that E-music definately lends itself to being performed in any of the surround sound modes.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
I have a question for you - when you are composing, do you monitor in 5.1 or is that only after recording etc..?

Most of the time I create tracks in stereo and do a multichannel mix as a separte phase. The Kyma system allows creation of sound directly in multichannel, but even with that capability, it's easier to keep the processes separate. I don't know how I would do multichannel without a Kyma system. I guess there are some multichannel mixing plugins for Sonar, but I can't imagine using them instead of a Kyma.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

your studio looks small, packed with stuff but cozy.
The only thing I do not see is an audio patch bay.
I am a big fan of patch bays. I can easily reroute signals, for example I can bypass a mixer and record a synth directly to the input of my audio card. Patch bays are usually cheap, one more reason to add one or more to a fine studio like yours. You will never have to crawl again to reach the back of your gear!! Of course you'll have many more cables around Surprised

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a patch bay but it's not visible. It's built in under the table that the Moog Modular is sitting on, just blocked from view by the monitor. That said, I could certainly use another one or two. You are quite right about that.

If the studio is used by multiple people, then patch bays are an absolute requirement. When I used to work at university studios the first 15 minutes of every session was spent hooking things up the way I liked them. Now, since I'm virtually the only person who uses my studio, stuff is always hooked up that way. Patch bays wouldn't change that, but since I'm the only one here, the need for them is not as pronounced.

I've had two other people over to record in the studio and I've had to do a bit of repatching. But we were able to make good use of things without too much trouble.

Thanks for joining our forums and contributing.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's strange.....I am the only one that operates my studio but I find patch bays useful (maybe I am a control-freak Very Happy )
for example: I have been asked to convert midi files to audio so having 2 CD burners (one stand alone and one inside my computer) I find easier to redirect the outputs of my mixer (or of a single General Midi synth) to the stand alone CD burner instead that to the inputs of my audio card.
The funny thing is that for a long time I thought patch bays were useless (only because I did not know what to do with it)
midi patch bays are very useful too, of course!

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those patch bays... yup.. I have to get at least two I think. Any suggestions for budget priced and decent units.. ?? Are the Behringer units any good?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have never had anything but positive experiences with Behringer products.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Humm, I have two Behringer patchbays, but both got unreliable contacts after a year or two. Can't use them anymore. Sad

I would certainly recommend a better quality here. Though I do not have specific bad experiences with other Behringer stuff.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... interesting.. The contact problems.. could be fixed by putting in some new parts or?...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hmm... interesting.. The contact problems.. could be fixed by putting in some new parts or?...

Well, I got them new for around $50... I got them because they have these handy normalled/half normalled/open switches. But if the bad contact is in these switches it might be impossible to replace them.

All the Behringer stuff is so cheap that it pays to replace them every two years anyway. But I do like stuff that lasts for a much longer time.
Parallel Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great studio howard! Smile
Moog Modular and Capybara Kyma! both awesome!
and, btw, i too have to buy some patchbays...

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this thread saw my first post on this forum Shocked

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
this thread saw my first post on this forum Shocked

OMG!

Shocked

Spooky!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Spooky!

right Very Happy it was Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:00 pm Exclamation

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Spooky!

did you know this is topic number 666 Question
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-666.html&highlight=#666
spooky indeed, devilish Mosc Wink

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And now we are at..9010 topics? Something like that?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Something like that?

something like that Very Happy

Quote:
solyaris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I disagree Smile I use Virtualizer and few Behringer stomp-box pedal. all these work fine. Ehat I love in Behringher is that they are a kind of not-musical ah ah ah ... cold sound ... but this is a great PLUS for an intelligent composer / musician ... the challenge is to use a stupid instrument and "extract" what is good there ...

your soul is important.
instruments are not relevant

giorgio

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

solyaris wrote:
Quote:

I disagree Smile

no, you don't Very Happy you and Howard are saying the same thing Rolling Eyes

Quote:
renevanderwouden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,

Interesting recording environment you've got there. That Moog, WOW Smile

BERLIN SCHOOL / RETRO / ELEKTRO / AMBIENT Music - Latest info and webshop at: www.rewo-music.com| http://www.downloadplatform.com/rewo_music/ and on Bandcamp: http://www.rewo.bandcamp.com / http://www.rene-vanderwouden.bandcamp.com and http://renevanderwouden.bandcamp.com/

http://www.renevanderwouden.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can pick up a Neutrik patchbay these days for $55 :

http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=49&cat=Patchbays

Caseypa
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have even less of a need for a patch bay now than I had in 2003 when that picture was taken. I've gotten rid of the Mackie mixer now. All signals go into a MOTU 828MK2. I do all routings under computer control.

less is more.

Code:
~: ls -l /usr/bin/less
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 104604 Mar 29  2004 /usr/bin/less
~: ls -l /bin/more
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 32720 Nov 29  2004 /bin/more

renevanderwouden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also stripped down my studio from 18 synths to 6. Most of these synths were the simple Roland / Korg ones and some ROMplers.
BERLIN SCHOOL / RETRO / ELEKTRO / AMBIENT Music - Latest info and webshop at: www.rewo-music.com| http://www.downloadplatform.com/rewo_music/ and on Bandcamp: http://www.rewo.bandcamp.com / http://www.rene-vanderwouden.bandcamp.com and http://renevanderwouden.bandcamp.com/

http://www.renevanderwouden.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
less is more.

Code:
~: ls -l /usr/bin/less
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 104604 Mar 29  2004 /usr/bin/less
~: ls -l /bin/more
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 32720 Nov 29  2004 /bin/more

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]