electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Spell checker upgrade
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Spell checker upgrade
Subject description: now works with Safari
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We just install the latest upgrade of the PHPSpell program used when creating or editing posts. It should now work OK with Safari and Opera browsers, as well as FireFox and IE.

Please report problems here.

When I first installed the new software I had to delete my browser's cache in order for it to work for some reason. Please try that if you have any problems.

thanks

Last edited by mosc on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The spellchecker is OK. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The spellchecker is OK. Very Happy

I'm in awe Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent. Please, anyone on any browser, let use know if there are any words that this thing thinks are misspelled that are appropriate for our community and I'll add them to the dictionary. For example, it won't flag Moog as an error - or thingy either. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dno't nede a speling cheker.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
or thingy either. :D

Ah, great. We also had the thingie variation, and e-m and what was it again.

ha, it want to make hm from e-m :-)...

But it still works !

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
I dno't nede a speling cheker.

okeedokee Wink

Quote:
Ivity

G2 patch files: 57

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am on Safari. Spellchecker works fine Very Happy .
Thanks!

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It keeps choking on [I'd]

As in "I would but I'd rather not type all those letters"

What's wrong there?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd is now a word. Enjoy... Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wot abut a shortcuttie for turning couch into freudian lounge mode?

On second thought, forget I even mentioned that one.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'd is now a word. Enjoy... Very Happy

Nice. Can I also have "would've", "could've" and "should've", as well as anything that starts with a capital letter and ends in "'d"?

For example; "I'd prefer it if Jack'd do that instead of me" if "If Mosc'd spend lots of time we'd have a spellcheck that gives less false positives".

Oh, and some testing showed that you added "you'd" and "we'd" and so on but you seem to have missed "that'd" and "this'd".

Example; "this'd be much better beasue that'd end in a bloody mess"

Chances are we also need "which'd and what'd"

Example; "Which'd be wrong" and "what'd be your preference?"

This is tricky stuff.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

This is tricky stuff.

come on Kassen, give Howard a break Very Happy

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

Nice. Can I also have "would've", "could've" and "should've", as well as anything that starts with a capital letter and ends in "'d"?

For example; "I'd prefer it if Jack'd do that instead of me" if "If Mosc'd spend lots of time we'd have a spellcheck that gives less false positives".

Oh, and some testing showed that you added "you'd" and "we'd" and so on but you seem to have missed "that'd" and "this'd".

Example; "this'd be much better beasue that'd end in a bloody mess"

Chances are we also need "which'd and what'd"

Example; "Which'd be wrong" and "what'd be your preference?"

This is tricky stuff.
would've, could've aren't in the dictionary, http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/would've , but I've added them anyway.
Jack'd isn't really a word. This spell checker doesn't support regular expressions anyway. I have to enter each word.

you'd, they'd, we'd are in the dictionary.

that'd, this'd, which'd and what'd are not in the dictionary and I have never seen them in use, so I'm choosing not to put them in the list. If you want to use these contractions, that's ok with me. You could add them to the list you can keep on your own browser.

When I was a kid, ain't wasn't a word, but not it's in the dictionary and in the list of spelling words.

I've added some words like flanger, VCO, LFO, VCA, Moog and Doepfer. These are words that make sense in our community.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, "this'd" is clearly valid since "he'd" is, it's just more rare since things tend to "do stuff" less often then people do (well, stuff worth discussing, that is). I would however argue that on a technologically minded board things are quite likely to "do stuff".

"this would then decrease the amount of high frequencies" is a phrase and so so is "this'd then decrease the amount of high frequencies". I think it's perfectly valid if relatively uncommon. I'm sure I've seen "this'd" and "which'd" and so on in normal use, I'm also sure they are valid, It's just that Google doesn't like punctuation and got confused at my query. I can make up loads more examples; "this group of people'd protest".; it must be valid since "they'd then protest" is valid too. (see how this links to semantics?)

It's really annoying that regular expressions aren't in there exactly because I agree that "Jack'd" isn't a word. It's a contraction between a name and a word. "I'll" isn't a word either, it's just short for "I will".

Anyway (one word these days) It's my position that "that'd" is correct spelling, and that there is no need at all for it to be a word as such. I also feel that "ain't" is not a word and is more like phonetically written slang. If we start allowing that next up is stuff like "I never did nuthin' to nobody" and leaving all the poor secluded synth nerds to sort out the canceling double negations.

While I'm at it;
and, or, nor nand, xor, xnand (admittedly rare, that last one)

Ah, only the ones that occur in natural language got through.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
xnand
For nxor ?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I added all those common and uncommon logical operators.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, we did the joined words, we did the logical operators, on to adding the Latin names of dinosaurs!

:¬p

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: The joys of having a spellchecker built into Mac OS X! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

see attachments....

(start with number 2!- really I wanted php to display them rather than offering as downloads- so my bit of php 'art' has failed- but I have otoh finally figured out how to send more than one download in one post at a time- hurrah!

Picture 2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Picture 2.pdf
 Filesize:  13.79 KB
 Downloaded:  272 Time(s)

Picture 3.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Picture 3.pdf
 Filesize:  19.87 KB
 Downloaded:  237 Time(s)

Picture 4.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Picture 4.pdf
 Filesize:  21.19 KB
 Downloaded:  236 Time(s)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cylons
klingons
vulcans

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

cylons
klingons
vulcans

yeah- that's about right Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No need for screen shots and thesises, just list the words. Thanks...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
No need for screen shots and thesises, just list the words. Thanks...

ahhh thesis's! (is thesis a latin word?- then the plural of thesis must be thesi ? Shocked ) Yes I am having to now write like a robot and not to split infinitives like no man has split them before!

Very nicely Mac OS X makes screenshots into pdf files automatically- but php sees a pdf file as an attachment- which is fair enough. Time to convert them to jpegs.

Actually the real reason I sent screenshots was to demonstrate how OS X's built in spellchecker automatically underlines words that it thinks are misspelt. So the fault lies within this machine mainly- However Mosc, your spellchecker has prompted me to tell me that 'recognised' is the wrong spelling. In fact I'm going to call your bluff and say that 'recognized'- the American spelling is the incorrect spelling.

I can't over emphasise (there we go again) how important this is for many many people. For many years I have also learnt that 'synthesiser' is spelt thus and not 'synthesizer'- the American way. Please will you correct this? Have both spellings if you must.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: How NOT to do it! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Concise Oxford English Dictionary and MSDict Viewer 7.30 (Commercial - 02/08/2006)
popular dictionary on Plam
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/palm/7532

This is priceless!! ho-hum Laughing

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: How NOT to do it! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

This is priceless!! ho-hum Laughing

no, it's $39.95 Very Happy

Quote:
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: