electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
'analog' experiment
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: 'analog' experiment Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A patch demonstrating the use of a different selection of 'analog'-izing treatments.

tim's drift/jitter is red.
rob's harmonic distortion is yellow; his state variable filter warmth trick is purple; and the 4-pole DIY ladder filter is green.
there's 'true analog' noise injected from the ADCs, as well. i think afro88 might've posted it as a patch, originally.

all 8 variations are populated and appropriate modules are exluded from mutation.

analog exp.pch2
 Description:
'analog'-izing experiment

Download
 Filename:  analog exp.pch2
 Filesize:  5.64 KB
 Downloaded:  2160 Time(s)

Daniel Berthold

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice pchs. Im impressed by the sound and would like to hear more of that.

I often use the analog tricks from the NM. Do you know them?
Somewhere in the archieves is a thread about.

http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/014_Interesting_Threads/Folder/AnalogueSound/AnalogueSound.htm

/Daniel
cebec

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks... nice find in the archive, by the way. no, i never tried any of those techniques when i had the NM 1.
cebec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more (old) experiments in a similar v(a)ein --

i stopped doing these when i started a small analog modular, recently.

i like how these patches sound, though. cliched, perhaps, but 'nice'. thanks to rob, tim, and dave for their ideas.

these patches have knob assignments and variations.

fat wet.pch2
 Description:
the name fits... sorry!

Download
 Filename:  fat wet.pch2
 Filesize:  6.83 KB
 Downloaded:  2017 Time(s)

analogg 9.pch2
 Description:
attempt at an 'analog' bassline #9 w/ drum

Download
 Filename:  analogg 9.pch2
 Filesize:  6.36 KB
 Downloaded:  1999 Time(s)

analogg 3.pch2
 Description:
attempt at an 'analog' bassline #3

Download
 Filename:  analogg 3.pch2
 Filesize:  4.08 KB
 Downloaded:  2005 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the patches, Cebec. Smile

I just want to go on record here saying that I do NOT claim original authorship on the jitter concept. Afaik, it was Robs idea.

There's a (lovely, btw.) vintage lead patch by him in the factory banks called "BackTo72", where this approach is already used -albeit with a Noise/SH circuit, as the random modules weren't yet implemented in the OS back then. There's also some analog frequency response modelling via elliptic filter going on there (a precursor to the tilt filter perhaps). It's a great patch, I learned alot from it and I like to play it too. Thank you, Rob.

However, I want to add that after further reading about analog synths (and especially the quality of their PSUs), I also experimented with modulating osc frequencies with simply a bit of audiorate brown noise, which is much simpler and efficient, and actually doesn't sound much different either. One can also use a fast random LFO, to keep things in the "blue domain" and save DSP. And on the other hand one shouldn't overstate the importance of osc jitter for the "analog sound". I set the G2 side to side to the Prophet5 (Rev3) to make some comparisons, and found that the CEM oscs of the P5 are actually rock-stable. They drift over a long term, but they don't jitter at all. Actually, I managed to recreate P5 sounds on the G2 spot on, without any hassle. I mean, you couldn't hear a difference when closing your eyes. I even made blindfold experiments with friends. Everyone was fooled. (The only thing that gives the G2 away in a big way is using sync and FM in tandem. Aliasing. Rolling Eyes)
cebec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
Thanks for the patches, Cebec. Smile

you're welcome!

tim wrote:
there's a (lovely, btw.) vintage lead patch by him in the factory banks called "BackTo72" ...

yeah, this is one of my favorite patches from the factory set, too. so smooth and creamy.

tim wrote:
(The only thing that gives the G2 away in a big way is using sync and FM in tandem. Aliasing. Rolling Eyes)

In my first analog acquisition since I had an Odyssey 7 years ago, I patched up FM, crossmodulation, and sync, immediately. The difference is noticeable in a way you once described it, tim: it seems almost speechlike, at the very least. And, to tie into another thread, do you think an internal SR in the MHz range could be sufficient to approach that character?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:

tim wrote:
(The only thing that gives the G2 away in a big way is using sync and FM in tandem. Aliasing. Rolling Eyes)

In my first analog acquisition since I had an Odyssey 7 years ago, I patched up FM, crossmodulation, and sync, immediately. The difference is noticeable in a way you once described it, tim: it seems almost speechlike, at the very least. And, to tie into another thread, do you think an internal SR in the MHz range could be sufficient to approach that character?

Oh, most definetely. Because it isn't just a question of character, but of accuracy. The current sampling rates just cannot handle the sidebands yet.

Sine-based FM works well on digital, because sinewaves have no sidebands at all. Using a sawtooth wave is a completely different matter however.

Even when doing AM with two anti-aliased sawtooths, they will generate sidebands beyond the sample rate. The waveforms will be bandlimited to half the sample rate, but the sum frequencies will go above that. So actually it would be good to have a "sample rate headroom", just like we have an amplitude headroom. Right now, on a 96 kHz system, it can be beneficial to bandlimit primary audio sources (oscs etc.) to 24khZ, leaving more headroom for sidebands and reducing the risk of foldbacks.
eposk

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rad patch! Its so very fat.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: