electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
suggestions for monitors?
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
OAO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: suggestions for monitors? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anybody have any suggestions for studio monitors with sound design/nm use in mind? looking something fairly inexpensive (less than $400, 300 prefered, so obviously nothing tooooo fancy). moving into a new apartment soon that is going to allow me a pretty nice space to make music, and i feel i'm ready to step up and make a nice sound tweaked room. also looking for something relatively small. any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated!

corey

Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

M-Audio BX5. They sounds great Smile

Luca

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A pair of small monitors that actually is the kind you will want to keep even if you get more monstrous stuff is the Yamaha MSP5. I know Yamaha is issuing a new series of monitors now.. trying to cash in on the NS-10 look.. and I haven´t heard these yet. However, the MSP5s are great. I wouldn´t call these neutral, flat or high-end. Instead these are engaging, fun and very useable. These will do for final mixing too. ( -Not mastering, but then you wouldn´t want to do mastering on nearfields anyway.)
I know people who have thrown out expensive big stuff in the 1500-2500 USD range and settled for these instead. But: obviously I wouldn´t recommend the MSP5s for very clinical jazz and orchestral productions.

Point to make: these are not anything close to the NS-10. These are good.

Trivia: You can in fact use the air stream from the bass ports to judge when you have too much low bass. This is easy to figure out by listening to various commercial releases.

The tweeter wave guides work well and the spatial qualities of this model is as good or better than many much more expensive products.

Soundwise the MSP5s are a tad like the Beyer Dynamic 770 Pro headphones ( when using a decent headphone amp ). This means that if you already are using the 770s you will be able to match what you hear in headphones with what you hear in the room.

The MSP5s will also let you listen into the mix, which is not really that common with cheap monitors.

The bass is good. Adding a subwoofer will rather be distraction than an improvement unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on both the room and the subwoofers.

Another option is getting some secondhand Event 20/20s. These are quite good.. in fact I would call these underrated. Another point to make is that the MSP5s are cool to have as B monitors anyway. Whenever you are wondering if you are on the right track you can switch to the MSP5s. the price asked for MSP5s is silly but there is nothing cheap about it.

Testing the MSP5s in a shop doesn´t make any sense. Try it at home.

BTW: I guess you ave already seen this: http://electro-music.com/article.php?t=4614

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dlt123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestions for monitors? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OAO wrote:
anybody have any suggestions for studio monitors with sound design/nm use in mind? looking something fairly inexpensive (less than $400, 300 prefered, so obviously nothing tooooo fancy). moving into a new apartment soon that is going to allow me a pretty nice space to make music, and i feel i'm ready to step up and make a nice sound tweaked room. also looking for something relatively small. any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated!

corey

Yes, I purchased a really nice set of Monitors about a year ago called Wharfedale Diamond Pro Monitors. I really like them and advise some research before paying for anything costing more... They cost from $275.00 - $300.00.

Here is a link to another board about them...

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=123752&page=1&pp=25&highlight=Wharfedale+Pro+Diamond+8.2

Wharfedale site:
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/frames/monitor_diamond.html

I'm pretty picky about my sound and found these to be pretty accurate for mastering. There are those who may say otherwise, but I'm not yet ready to buy a set of Event ASP8 Studio Precision 8 Active Studio Monitors... but I will in the future, until then these allow me to save faster. Cool

I highly recommend them! Just my 2 cents,
DennisT
OAO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i ended up finally getting some monitors about a month ago, and ended up something i had never heard of, the blue sky 2.1 system. after my extensive in store testing nothing else in the price range even compared. so far i'm still happy with them. i wasn't initially keen on getting a sub but they're working out great and sound fantastic! now i'm well aware how painfully off many of my old mixes are...
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is 100% not a NM related topic - why is it still here ?

btw. I'm using headphones for my Micro - it works fine.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
This is 100% not a NM related topic - why is it still here ?

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry

X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude, don't be SO sarcastic. Mosc is moving here and there topics that are not so much out of subject, and I'm just pointing to one that is a little bit out of control there. No hard feelings, but be cool.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm, there is no icon for " Neutral ", I guess You can imagine sth between Smile and Crying or Very sad
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh boy, there was an icon for that. My apologise.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric, you were right, the post didn't belong in the thread where it was, and I am sorry for not having noticed that and not having done anything about it before you pointed my attention to it.

When you do have a problem with posts being moved around, or with posts not moving around, please start a topic about that in some general section. We can discuss it then, but not in this thread please.

X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Next time, try to be more accurate with those emoticons... I really thought You were trying to be sarcastic...
OAO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just wanted to clarify that i posted this in the NM space because i'm a NM user and wanted to get opinions from people who are doing similar stuff, so initially it had everything to do with the nord section. don't know why it was suddenly responded to months after the fact though...
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OAO wrote:
i just wanted to clarify that i posted this in the NM space because i'm a NM user and wanted to get opinions from people who are doing similar stuff, so initially it had everything to do with the nord section. don't know why it was suddenly responded to months after the fact though...

Erm ... the thread seemed more appropraite to me in a general section, but indeed the two letters n and m were present in the original post, I'm deeply sorry again.

OAO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL... no problem, just wanted to clarify so i don't come off as a TOTAL idiot... 90% is okay, just not total. but either way, i got the advice, i got my monitors, this thread can be moved to the martha stewart forums as far as i'm concerned. Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OAO wrote:
the martha stewart forums as far as i'm concerned. Laughing

FIY, seems like old Martha is just like Jason.. she is back for more mayhem..

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
OAO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just can't wait until she is cryogenically frozen, only to be brought back by a bunch of "science" students in the future (and in space, mind you) as some crazed mutant... um.. thing.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OAO wrote:
i just can't wait until she is cryogenically frozen, only to be brought back by a bunch of "science" students in the future (and in space, mind you) as some crazed mutant... um.. thing.

Yeah. And there will be merchandise. I am looking forward to the Batman vs Martha Stewart issue.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OAO wrote:
LOL... no problem

Thanks !

X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soon, You'll see some problems... He's just close enough...
dlt123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
Soon, You'll see some problems... He's just close enough...

Oh... Oh... He's coming... He's coming... Sorry, couldn't resist. Wink Wink

DennisT
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry for being stupid and/or rude. Yesterday I was after some serious drinking, and shouldn't have been in front of PC. Instead of going right to bed, I logged on here and wrote all those stupid messages.

I'm really sorry.

X-Electric Sad
dlt123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
I'm sorry for being stupid and/or rude. Yesterday I was after some serious drinking, and shouldn't have been in front of PC. Instead of going right to bed, I logged on here and wrote all those stupid messages.

I'm really sorry.

X-Electric Sad

No problem, been there, done that. Smile Glad to see you survived the evening and you're man enough to make amends. Hope you're having a good, quiet day.

DennisT
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric
I must admit I prefer your new avatar to the previous one Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: