electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
>16 voices on Micro
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:  >16 voices on Micro Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm drunk right now, but I've made a patch that makes 16 voices of polyphony on my Micro, so, I started this topic for anyone to try to beat this one (as I remember, there was already one making 15 voices, that was made from a "PercOsc" and a stereo output (on a mono output it does 16 voices). But this one has a switchable waveform :> Not only a sine-like-electro-piano my friend... (although it's limited to those lower freq. sounds)...

Micro_16_voice.pch
 Description:
16 voice on Micro Modular (knob 1 => choose waveform)

Download
 Filename:  Micro_16_voice.pch
 Filesize:  770 Bytes
 Downloaded:  99 Time(s)

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one is cheaper, but I have no NM hooked up to see how many voices I'd get.

cheaper.pch
 Description:
cheaper

Download
 Filename:  cheaper.pch
 Filesize:  724 Bytes
 Downloaded:  83 Time(s)

X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both are getting 16 voices, - I've already tried all A/B/C LFO's...
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw. It's all about an envelope now... I've made a patch with a vocoder module and a 14 voice polyphony on a Micro... BUT without any envelope <- that's the only problem... Anyway, I'm really pissed when I read all those ads saying: "Nord Micro Modular: 4 notes polyphony..." <- This is not true !!!
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Envelope, yes I guess, that's why the PercOsc was used in the patch you referenced, to avaoid an envelope - I dont know who made that patch, but it could have been me :-)
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably, but it's hard to copyright a patch that's made from 3 modules and 3 cords... I know, there was a BIG discussion about copyrights here, and on the mailing list, and I don't want to trigger this shit once again, but YES, there was a patch made by someone (probably You Jan), that had only a PercOsc and an output inside... And It was officially 15 voices on Micro... (no-one made an effort to check if it have made any changes in the voices area when one chose mono output => Yes it did! it makes 16 voices on Micro Modular, but only a cheap sine wave electro-piano like sounds...)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to spend most of my time on the old code404 NM list trying to squeeze polyphony from my micromodular.

The most notes I obtained was 32- but it was really simplistic.

A good trick I discovered was using the Master oscillator controller with an LFO- syncing the two together.

If you do a search in the old archive (the one that Wout has/ had)- look for the name 'terryfunken'- they are there.

Do check out my cheap Solina. I think I got 5 or 6 notes polyphony from it- AND a really haunting string sound- not dissimilar to the Logan strings from the 70's
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

And it was still a playable, (with a keyboard tracked pitch) patch ? I can't really imagine this one. Maybe with some logic modules acting as a pulse wave oscilators, but still, 32 voices...
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

The one with just a slave osc, grey input connected to kbd voltage I guess :-)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just knocked up that super polyphony patch. I haven't got my micromodular connected so I can't test it I'm afraid. But here's a screenshot.

micropolyphony.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.69 KB
 Viewed:  4687 Time(s)

micropolyphony.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....and I found those Solina patches too (You must bear in mind that these patches weren't intended to mimic a Solina. I just gave it that name because the Solina is a string ensemble, and it is a nice name Smile )

So they don't 'sound' like a Solina? Well they sound pretty string ensemble-like to my ears and as far as I'm concerned- that's cool enough Wink

I think both are pretty much identical- except one gives more waveforms.

But 6 voice polyphony on a micro-modular???- there are ways.....!

mm-solina.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mm-solina.pch
 Filesize:  2.26 KB
 Downloaded:  94 Time(s)

mm-solinaTF.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mm-solinaTF.pch
 Filesize:  2.32 KB
 Downloaded:  100 Time(s)

X-Electric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I just knocked up that super polyphony patch. I haven't got my micromodular connected so I can't test it I'm afraid. But here's a screenshot.

With this setup it makes 14 voices of polyphony. I've replaced evelope with GainControl module, and it has 16 voices of polyphony, so I guess there have to be some other technique to get more than that.

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.49 KB
 Viewed:  4677 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

X-Electric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
....and I found those Solina patches too (You must bear in mind that these patches weren't intended to mimic a Solina. I just gave it that name because the Solina is a string ensemble, and it is a nice name Smile )

So they don't 'sound' like a Solina? Well they sound pretty string ensemble-like to my ears and as far as I'm concerned- that's cool enough Wink

I think both are pretty much identical- except one gives more waveforms.

But 6 voice polyphony on a micro-modular???- there are ways.....!

OMG - these patches are great ! thumleft Truly, I've never heard real Solina strings, but these sounds awsome. Definitely going into my Micro's memory.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:

OMG - these patches are great ! thumleft Truly, I've never heard real Solina strings, but these sounds awsome. Definitely going into my Micro's memory.

Thanks Very Happy

It's really nice when people leave good feedback on stuff you've worked hard at.

In the previous patches, you could replace the triangle LFO with something that uses less dsp.- nope strike that! the tri lfo does use the least dsp!
X-Electric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://ruskeys.net/base/sounds/tom1501_3.zip

I knew the sound of those strings reminds me some other synth :>

tom.jpg
 Description:
Tom-1501 synthesizer
 Filesize:  72.46 KB
 Viewed:  4661 Time(s)

tom.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a nice sounding thing! Smile

I used to have an Elka Rhapsody 610- it had a very similar sound. You could mix piano and strings too. Very nice indeed Smile

The patch I uploaded needs special attention paid to the chorus section. I created this matrix of switches that gave it an anti-phase sort of sound- quite psychedelic -if my memory serves me right- no bad thing imo! Very Happy

Another thing bearing in mind is the use of 3 chorus units which if placed in the top window, would probably only allow 1 note polyphony. Try removing them and see what happens..... listen to the sound too.

I think there was only a small change to the polyphony, and the chorus sounds so nice- so what the heck!
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 31
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I used to have an Elka Rhapsody 610

I used to have an Elka Rhapsody 490 Exclamation

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
X-Electric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen this clever use of a slave oscillator, and a pitch control by note info controlling morph group in one of Howard Scarr's patches, and I thought to give this a try to check the polyphony with this trick - it gave 19 voices =) But I discovered something funny - I tried to use A/B/C LFO's which need less DSP power, and the polyphony drops to 16 voices immediately - weird :/ (Antoher weird thing is the use of a "Keyboard-Voice" module, which is theoretically 0.00% DSP, but drops the polyphony from 32 to 28 right away when it's added to a patch.)

19_micro.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.57 KB
 Viewed:  4608 Time(s)

19_micro.jpg

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
(Antoher weird thing is the use of a "Keyboard-Voice" module, which is theoretically 0.00% DSP, but drops the polyphony from 32 to 28 right away when it's added to a patch.)

Yes, that's probably related to the "zero page". The zero page is a section of the processor's memory that keeps track of all the outputs in the patch and what value is on them at any given moment. Because all those values take a little memory you can only have a finite amount of them in the whole synth. The keyboard module hardly takes any cpu cycles at all but it does have four outputs....

Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes zero page, and X memory etc. You can see all resources used in the patch settings dialog I think.
Falk

G2 patch files: 29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: 19_micro => 22_micro in one simple step Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lose the gaincontrol and plug keyboard gate into AM input of oscilator.

Same thing, less cpu.
X-Electric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 19_micro => 22_micro in one simple step Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Falk wrote:
Lose the gaincontrol and plug keyboard gate into AM input of oscilator.

Same thing, less cpu.

Good tip! thumb up 22 voices without the GainControl.

Edit: Oh, You've already checked the number of voices - didn't see the post subject Wink
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: