electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
How to get inspiration?
Page 2 of 12 [280 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I once read a text by sergei prokofiev on the same. Interesting.. I haven´t found it online.. not yet..
And I once heard this excellent OTR file.. an interview of Kurt Weill... where he was discussing inspirations and compositional methods. I am still looking for that file.. I think I heard it streaming in 97 or so. I must get that file!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kruge
sorry to be so simplistic..

just do it ,and get on with it Very Happy

times' a 'wastin

AgentA

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take a long walk or bike ride. Linger on a bridge and watch the river. All the while, listen intently. Look behind you with your ears.

Lots of good tips gang...
Thanks for the Brahms, Seraph.
I agree with egw also about playing with someone else.

I often get the "do the washing up" oblique strategy, lol.
A buddy of mine found that inspiration came easier when his desk was clear so to speak. You know, do the dishes, fix that door knob or whatever.

One of my favorites of the Oblique Strategies is "honor thy error as a hidden intention."

Indeed, the American Maverick interviews and programs, yes.
Fascinating.

tones for the head
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AgentA wrote:
One of my favorites of the Oblique Strategies is "honor thy error as a hidden intention."
This is standard operating procedure when improvising on stage!
--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I keep alot of photography books around for inspiration. The more horrific and troubling, the better. I have some of those "20th Century's Greatest Photographs" type books, and I'll go though those until a few images start to affect me, then use that as creative fuel.

Sometimes I'll make an image my desktop and always have it around while writing. "Becoming" was written off of Michael Whelan's Avatar and Passage series. Lines in the Sky was written to a sexy image of Lacey Chabert, but most of such work is to unfavorable imagery, the bad stuff. The ugly stuff. I find these most inspirational (although I'm not always keen on the form the results of the muse take). Documentaries are pretty good too.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gareacho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: how to get inspiratioons Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find the more imersed in music I am the more inspiration I have .Go see a concert of some that inspires you.Try not to get hung-up by by all the technical stuff.My music comes from my dreams and by adding vitamin B-12 it helped tremendously with dreams and music
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are many vitamins that can help with dreams and music.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
7/4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
There are many vitamins that can help with dreams and music.

And what are they?

I have to go to Vitamin Shop tommorow and pick up a B supplement. B is good for the nervous system. Idea
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note that vitamins was italicised. Wink

-Napoleon Dynamite
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think he is referring to

tetra-hydro-cannibol

could be wrong.....

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh you Canadians. Must we poor Americans be constantly reminded that you live in a free country and we don't? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vitamin T? Drugs are bad, mmmm-kay?

-Napoleon Dynamite
play

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Motivation, inspiration. They're different things. I find that motivation cycles for me. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's there but I have no inspiration and so what comes out is forced or sort of routine.

If you are really unmotivated there is only one cure. Do it. I find that doing ridiculous things help to get me motivated. If you usually make structured music, make some hellish noise. If usually you make amorphous blobs, try working in a rigid structure or a well-defined genre.

Do a headstand. Do acting excercises like displaying as many emotions as you can in a minute, or talking gibberish. It sounds silly but it works for me. In fact, it works so well for me that I talk gibberish all the time, or make up characters and become them for an hour or so.

The important thing is to get the door open. It's simple inertia. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion and non-moving objects tend to stay still unless some external force is applied, in this case, your will. If you can muster enough energy to get started, know that it will get easier.

It's kind of a zen thing too. When the student of zen receives a koan, the first thing they do is shout "PA!" or clap their hands really loud. This shatters the space, temporarily derails your train of thought allowing something fresh and unanalyzed to appear, something from the well.

that's my two cents. good luck.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
Motivation, inspiration. They're different things.

I've never thought about that, but it's quite profound. Thanks...

Also your comment about doing something expressive, that isn't really what you want to do. For me, I sometimes have blocks with composing because composing is what is the most important thing to me, and I can be a very harsh critic. I also take photographs, but I don't identify myself as a photographer. Sometimes I go on a photo taking spree because I'm inspired by some natural scene or by a performance. I find it very easy because I'm not a photographer and everything I do is just fine. This attitude rubs off on the music, at least enough to get me in an experimental/non-judgemental mode. Maybe making photographs is like Noiseusse doing acting exercises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
play

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Maybe making photographs is like Noiseusse doing acting exercises.

Whatever works. Probably the best thing you could for your music is convince yourself that you're not a musician ::)
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice point about inertia. I agree that is everything. The most important step is to just start doing something, anything. The rest will flow from there.

I think of a person as being creative, if they make an effort to create things. The quality of what they produce is really not as important. As long as they are sincere in their expression.
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like getting myself really upset and worked up into an emotional lather, and then the inspiration and motivation overwhelm me and down the creative rollercoaster I go. That is what works best for me. Anger, rage, depression, despair. It's as though I resort to creativity, my music specificly, to rid myself of these terrible things. And once I'm going, even after they are eliminated, I find it difficult to stop. Self-abusive, maybe, but so is training for the Olympics, it could be argued. You get what you pay for, I suppose, and sometimes you pay out of your mental/emotional-pocket.

Or mayby I'm just justifying the way I go about it. I think that inspiration/motivation is as unique to each artist as their art is. What I find interesting is observing not only the uniqueness of each artist's work, but also the uniqueness of what each artist draws upon for inspiration and motivation. After all, you never know, perhaps someone else has happened upon a technique that would work well for you, perhaps better than your own methods. And dry spells, periods of writer's block, are perfect opportunities to give some of these a try.

-Napoleon Dynamite
7/4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Nice point about inertia. I agree that is everything. The most important step is to just start doing something, anything. The rest will flow from there.

Usually. Shifting to another instrument helps sometimes.

egw wrote:

I think of a person as being creative, if they make an effort to create things. The quality of what they produce is really not as important. As long as they are sincere in their expression.

When I first started composing, I would record anything so I could pick the best of the bunch. After a couple of years the quality went up. Very Happy
chuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Get yourself a project, and one with a deadline is best. Even if you have a degree (or several) in music, you could apply for admission to a music program which would mean you'd have to get portfolio together.

If you live near a university, call the Music Composition teacher and arrange a lesson. Plan to go in and be impressive. Get some old music together, make some new music. Show the prof what you can do.

Make a musical birthday present (or holiday or something) for someone. There are probably several people in your life who would enjoy having some special music made just for them.

Find a stranger to make some music for... ask for volunteers in this forum, and exchange music.

Don't worry about making something that is judged worthless.... failure is a valid human experience... embrace it!

Charles E. Ives
gravehill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lots of good ideas in this thread.

In the beginning of 2004 I made a new year's promise that I would try to write one song every week during the year. In the end of the year I had 46 new songs (almost 5 hours of material), close enough for me.

This year I promised myself to concentrate on promoting my project Chaos research and in next months there are albums coming out in both Europe and Japan (different ones).

On the other hand I have composed only like half an hour's worth of new material this year but that's also ok. I don't have any pressure since I have lots of usable songs from last years sessions.

Someone please remind me to let you know when I'll make the next new year's promises.

http://www.chaosresearch.de
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chuck wrote:
Get yourself a project, and one with a deadline is best.

Duke Ellington used to say: "I don't need time, I need a deadline" Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
dust

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The inevitable "Composer's Block". I am currently experiencing this too. It's not nice not to have written a song in a few months, but after this period some really incredible music can be made. Take Milan Kolarovic for example. One of my favourites of his: Out of the Blue, came literally "Out of the Blue", after him being in "Radio Silence" for several months. A very beautiful song.

I often find that for me, the best way to get inspiration is to listen to a song or genre that you wouldn't normally listen to. Writing music in different genres than your norm can also broaden your tastes and effectively give you more opportunities to write new music.
Ponk

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got an inspiration yesterday when finding those cheesy sound effect CDs in my local music library. I borrowed "Essential Sound Effects of Babies and Children" and "Essential Death & Horror Sound Effects, vol. 1". I plan on trying to mix these into a track. We'll see if anything worthwhile comes out...
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and if all else fails, sit down aand have a conversation with the machine elves...
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Booze. And jumping up and down.

I'm not being flippant. I find this combination immensely helpful! Very Happy

Page 2 of 12 [280 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: