electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Modular Synth forum
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
sebber

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 32

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wan wrote:
Maybe it would be nice if the poster could mark a topic relevant for a number of categories, f.i. a G2 topic could be marked relevant for the "Modular" subforum, or for the "Composition forum", if it contains content on this subjects also. Then it would also show up in that subforum(s). It would make topics more findable from different contexts.

I think thant would create chaos, since there might evolve a discussion on the same topic in different forums.

I'd like to remark that few people have the time to read the whole forum and focus on one. I don't think it's so much ignorance (as I feel Kassen implies) but simply too much to read. I'm glad when I find the time to come to e-m at all and then I focus on the G2.

Whilst you're tidying up: to have a Forum and a FAQ for the G2 might be a bit obsolete, and if there aren't too many patches in one instrument group, you could group them as well instead of following Clavia's direction. E.g. Pianos and Organs could be one. (I actually couldn't care less about all these "classic" subcategories).

Just my 2 cents

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
mosc wrote:

How about this, a new category

Discussion
- Composition
- Modular Synthesis
- Schmooze
- electro-music.com
- Introduce Yourself

may i sugegst that 'schmooze' be it's own section....under "general discussion" or some such...same with 'introduce yourself'...?

I don't understand. Schmooze is under 'Discussion' as is 'introduce yourself'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:

I'd like to remark that few people have the time to read the whole forum and focus on one. I don't think it's so much ignorance (as I feel Kassen implies) but simply too much to read. I'm glad when I find the time to come to e-m at all and then I focus on the G2.

I'm sure that that is a factor too but I know that some people simply missed the other sectionsafter following a link to the NM section directly.

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Wan wrote:
Maybe it would be nice if the poster could mark a topic relevant for a number of categories, f.i. a G2 topic could be marked relevant for the "Modular" subforum, or for the "Composition forum", if it contains content on this subjects also. Then it would also show up in that subforum(s). It would make topics more findable from different contexts.

I think thant would create chaos, since there might evolve a discussion on the same topic in different forums.

It would not be separate discussions but separate references to the same I think ?

sebber

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, now I understand, too Very Happy

Sometimes, only sometimes, threads don't stick to the topic. Is there a way to link directly to an answer in a post? What happens if I happen to answer a question like "how do I get vibrato on the G2", should I then tick a box and it will be posted on the modular forum? That would mean that everybody knows the forum really well, and I'm afraid most people stick only in the corner that interests him/her. The reasons for this behaviour are manifold, I believe, but unchangeable.
Yeah, sorry for being negative. Rolling Eyes

Question: is this a US-american spell-checker? "Behavior", c'mon. Makes me suddenly feel very british. Must be the full moon.

paul e.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
paul e. wrote:
mosc wrote:

How about this, a new category

Discussion
- Composition
- Modular Synthesis
- Schmooze
- electro-music.com
- Introduce Yourself

may i sugegst that 'schmooze' be it's own section....under "general discussion" or some such...same with 'introduce yourself'...?

I don't understand. Schmooze is under 'Discussion' as is 'introduce

yourself'.

having schmooze under the same category as modular synthesis seems akward..they are not concepts i would usually lump together

Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
It would not be separate discussions but separate references to the same I think ?

Yes, that's what i intended.
There would be only one thread on a topic and that thread can be found via a set of sub-forums entries. For every sub-forum it participates in it would seem that the topic would belong to that specific sub-forum. So people who only read the G2 sub-forum would get a change to see a thread that was originally posted in the Modular sub-forum but at a certain time marked relevant for the G2 sub-forum. And vice versa.

This way the content at EM would not be so restricted to the hierarchical nature of the forum classification structure. It would allow for easier sharing of information across the different sub-cultures.

Now i can imagine this is a technically difficult to implement feature Twisted Evil

sebber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be great. I guess the moderators will have to do the the cross-referencing because they know the forums best, but then the forums might actually crossfade much more.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on this cross indexing thing right now. It's a big project, but I think it will be worth the effort.

Paul, I see your point. Composition and Modular Synthesis

Maybe there should be

Musical Discussion and General Discussion

Musical Discussion
- Compostion
- Modular Synthesis
- Circuit Bending
- DIY Synths

Instruments and Equipment could be for brand/type specific topics.

Does that make more sense?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Does that make more sense?

To me it does.

paul e.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc, this is a big project...so i hope you have a lof of good coffee on the go ..:]
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'm working on this cross indexing thing right now. It's a big project, but I think it will be worth the effort.

Wow Shocked , you're a brave man Mosc Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brave, maybe, stupid - certainly... Very Happy

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I added some links in the Discussion catagory. This is a good compromise. All of the areas of discussion are listed in one place, but the discussion fora can be located where ever it is most appropriate.

Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: