electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
the Digital/Analogue time bog
Page 5 of 6 [126 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next

Digital and Analogue together?
Totally
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Mostly
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
A little bit
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
No way
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Which explains why some of us use Bias Peak for conversion.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK? I guess this kinda suggests there is a lot to the whole SRC thingie . Very Happy
More to be found all over the web. Tech books on SRC issues are recommended too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Related , but not to SRC ( sample rate conversion ) , is how some of the vintage/warm/hyped analog gear really works and sounds like.
Universal Audio has some interesting stuff posted.

Like: The 1176 All Buttons Mode

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

For Windows users there's Voxengo's r8brain SRC:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brainpro/
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Related , but not to SRC ( sample rate conversion ) , is how some of the vintage/warm/hyped analog gear really works and sounds like.
Universal Audio has some interesting stuff posted.

Like: The 1176 All Buttons Mode

I found an SRC link that is for Secret Rabbit Code - a sample rate converter no less...

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/

I got a good laugh readding about the All Buttons In compressor. Reminds me of the hype around the Joe Meek compressors which were designed by Ted Fletcher who presented at the Modular 2003 confernece in London. The latest incarnation of this is Edward, The Compressor. http://www.tfpro.com/products/info/13.php

Ted, BTW, is a facinating guy. Talk about stories...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had Eddie here for some months and then some. It is great. The super low end turbo budget device .. the P4... is really nice too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back to SRC comparisons - this is an interesting site http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Kassen used the world startling when describing these results. That's a good choice. This is not rocket science - there is no excuse for a commercial DAW to include a noisy conversion program. Outrageous is another word that might be appropriate.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FIY, the 1176 ABM can be truly useful at times.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Back to SRC comparisons - this is an interesting site http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Kassen used the world startling when describing these results. That's a good choice. This is not rocket science - there is no excuse for a commercial DAW to include a noisy conversion program. Outrageous is another word that might be appropriate.

wow, that's great howard, thanks...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be fun to have a room full of all of the compressors made.

Ted was big in the early 60s British pop productions where super high compression of vocals became cool. At his talk he played some of the earliest recordings to use these techniques. He is still in love with those sounds. It is an aquired taste, and after 45 years I still haven't aquired it - except maybe for The Beatles vocals.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Hmmmm, for realtime systems it's still not that easy. It seems obvious to use a FIR filter because here these are computationally efficient and they are phase-linear (asuming a symetrical filter) but this also means some samples of latency are added which may cause phasing issues when using multiple paralel tracks.

Is it already time to repeat my "you won't get perfection" remark again?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

Is it already time to repeat my "you won't get perfection" remark again?

I think so.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, this is the second time I've made the wrong choice when it comes to resampling. First it was using Kontakt as my main sampler (see http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/aliasing/ - I now own and love Short Circuit), and now it's using Cubase to resample to 44.1k Laughing

I'll be downloading a copy of r8brain methinks. Thanks cebec, and mosc for that great link.

After doing a search for the Izotope SRC, I found a post on the Voxengo forums saying it's best to bounce to 32bit float, use your favourite limiter to shape the odd unwanted peak, convert to 16bit with your favourite dither/converter, then resample after that. This was at http://www.voxengo.com/forum/ar/1137/

Also, the paper that elekro's graphs are taken from is here: http://xserve1.bias-inc.com:16080/products/peakPro5/resampling/peakResamplingWhitePaper.pdf

Very interesting stuff.
cebec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On dithering, since I came across this today as a result of this discussion -- there's a 'blind' dither shootout and the MegaBitMax Ultra algorithm, now in Izotope's Ozone 3 as MBIT+, has so far been determined as the most pleasing (quietest?) by a long shot.

http://www.24-96.net/dither/

The creator of that algorithm is now employed by Izotope, and is Alexey Lukin, the creator of Rightmark Audio Analyzer. There is a LOT of interesting technical info. here. Too bad the pics are gone, though.

http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/

I think I may try a combination of Ozone 3 for dithering and r8brain Pro for SRC and compare with my most recent method -- Sonar POW-R 3 for dithering and GoldWave's SRC, both of which have performed average or below average in all of the data I've seen so far. Rolling Eyes
Afro88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For what it's worth, there seems to be a difference between a 96k file converted to 44.1k in Cubase and in r8brain free. It's subtle, and again in the top end. Some inharmonics are accentuated in the Cubase version... the r8brain one sounds more natural.

I was thinking about buying Ozone, purely for it's transparent eq and multi-band compressor for final mixdowns. Now knowing about the quality of it's dither algorithm, it looks alot more attractive. Especially at us$250 Cool
Afro88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
The creator of that algorithm is now employed by Izotope, and is Alexey Lukin, the creator of Rightmark Audio Analyzer. There is a LOT of interesting technical info. here. Too bad the pics are gone, though.

http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/

Which pics? I can see the graphs etc. The audio files are there too Smile
cebec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

all the .pngs on this page are missing on my browser (Firefox 1.5.0.4)

http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/dither.htm
Afro88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird, they all show up here. I'm using Firefox 1.0.7 though.... They work in IE as well. Maybe you need a png library/dll or something? I don't remember installing one on this machine though.
cebec

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh, yeah, that's weird. With this ver. of Firefox on two diff. machines, I'm unable to see those. Thanks!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cebec, me too. I can't see them and I'm using 1.5.0.4 Firefox too...
Afro88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird... I should really update my Firefox anyway, I'll see if I have the same problem.

Maybe have a look at forums.mozillazine.org ?

edit: Just updated my Firefox to 1.5.0.4, now I have the same problem. Still works in IE though.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys cannot see the PNGs I posted as inline images above? Is that it?
Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, I'm referring to the one's on Alexey Lukin's page, linked above. I can see the ones here just fine. Hmmmmm...
Page 5 of 6 [126 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: