electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
A minor milestone.
Page 1 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: A minor milestone. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Our users have posted a total of 8088 articles
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Djzleite
In total there are 4 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Most users ever online was 27 on Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:01 am
Registered Users: Cyxeris, elektro80, themoors

Introduced June 1, 1979
Clock speeds:
5MHz with 0.33 MIPS
8MHz with 0.75 MIPS
Internal architecture 16 bits
External bus Width 8 bits data, 20 bits address
Number of Transistors 29,000 at 3 μm
Addressable memory 1 megabyte
Identical to 8086 except for its 8 bit external bus
Used in IBM PCs and PC clones

The Intel 8088 was a computer processing unit (CPU) based on the 8086, with 16-bit registers and an 8-bit external data bus. The processor was used in the original IBM PC.

The 8088 was targetted at economical systems by allowing the use of 8-bit designs. Large bus width circuit boards were still fairly expensive when it was released. The prefetch queue of the 8088 is 4 bytes, as opposed to the 8086's 6 bytes. The descendants of the 8088 line include the 80188, 80288 (obsolete), and 80388 microcontrollers which are still in use today.

The most influential microcomputer to use the 8088 was, by far, the IBM PC. The original PC processor ran at a clock frequency of 4.77 MHz.

Apparently IBM's own engineers wanted to use the Motorola 68000, and it was used later in the forgotten IBM Instruments 9000 Laboratory Computer, but IBM already had rights to manufacture the 8086 family, in exchange for giving Intel the rights to its bubble memory designs. A factor for using the 8-bit Intel 8088 version was that it could use existing Intel 8085-type components, and allowed the computer to be based on a modified 8085 design. 68000 components were not widely available at the time, though it could use Motorola 6800 components to an extent. Intel bubble memory was on the market for a while, but Intel left the market due to fierce competition from Japanese corporations who could undercut by cost, and left the memory market to focus on processors.

A compatible replacement chip, the V20, was produced by NEC for an approximate 20 percent improvement in computing power

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cute!

Trivia: The Motorola 68000 is the one Apple went for. Way back, in those days proper engineers would of course choose the 68000 series.
A lot of unix gear ended up with 680xx series CPUs.. and if I remember correctly.. even the early 90s Atari Falcon went for the 680xx series.

Apple stopped using the 68000 series in the mid 90s. At that time it had developed into the 68040. Motorola kept upgrading it and I seem to remember they had a 060 prototype out.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When we achieve 68,000 posts (or members), you will be in the spotlight! Wink

Of course, at that point, so will Howard. Can you imagine 68,000 users? 68,000 with the same 20 people posting all the messages beyond the first 1 or 2 from the rest. People need to get involved more.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 8088 is still with us. These days it is used, in modern incarnations, for embedded processing tasks.

Typical product:

NMIS-0025 V25 (8088 compatible) based CPU board

2x4"s[tm] single board computer with 2 channel TTL serial communication, 1 Meg address, 2 memory sockets, 32K SRAM[

The NMIS-0025 is New Micros' NEC-V25-based CPU board for the 2x4"s[tm] board series. A valuable feature of the NMIS-0025 is its code compatibility with the IBM PC's processor, offered on a miniature board format.

FEATURES:

V25 CPU with 16-bit internal architecture
Software compatible with 8086/8088
Programmable Interrupt Controller
Two DMA controller channels
3 parallel ports
2 Asynchronous Serial Channels
8-channel Voltage Comparator
Time Base Counter
16-bit Timer
Programmable Wait State Generator
1/4K RAM
1M address space
Two 32-pin JEDEC memory sockets
Flexible address decoding, socket assignments
Battery backup circuits for memory
44-pin JEDSTACK[tm] Vertical Stacking Connector (VSC-44)
Low power (45mA w/2-32K RAMs at 8 MHz)

The NMIS-0025 is a complete system, ready to run dedicated applications. Only the addition of the user program is required, in its battery backed RAM, or in a user-supplied ROM/EPROM/EEPROM.

The 2x4"s[tm] series of computer boards were designed with low power operation and minimal size in mind. The 2x4"s[tm] are the perfect building blocks when designing systems or stand alone single board computers. They were named 2x4"s[tm] for their size, 2 x 4 inches, and to emphasize their similarity in concept to the popular mechanical building block.

The sockets accepting JEDEC memory devices have flexible pinouts. Refer to the figure at the left.

To download code to the NMIS-0025's processor, or interactively develop code, additional circuitry is needed to "talk" to the systems with RS-232. A level shifter must be used with terminals, or personal computers, with RS-232 ports to convert the TTL serial in and serial out to RS-232 levels. This can easily be accomplished with an NMII-0232 board. Refer to the figure above.

The NMIS-0025 makes a very cost effective solution as a target system, particularly when small size, CMOS low power and ease of development are required. No other single board computer has these unique features in such a small space, and 8086 code compatibility. High Level Language support offers resident FORTH and, optionally, BASIC and Assembly Language. FORTH and C cross compilers and cross assemblers are also available.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We waste an aweful amount of processing power in general.

I always wanted to get a nice clean 4004 and make a necklace charm out of it.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The Motorola 68000 is the one Apple went for. Way back, in those days proper engineers would of course choose the 68000 series.A lot of unix gear ended up with 680xx series CPUs.. and if I remember correctly.. even the early 90s Atari Falcon went for the 680xx series.

You mustn't overlook the esteemed Amigas, my friend.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right... true.. but I ended up with Apple boxes very early. But I did in fact have a C64 which I used for dbase.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to have a mint condition C128. No idea what came of it.

I started out on a PC back in 1985 that my father had built for me. I was 7.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. I am sorry I forgot mentioning 7400 when we hit 7400 posts.

I messed around with TTLs a lot when I was in my early teens. great fun.
I looked up the 7400 series at Gateway Electronics right now. Nice prices.

Hmm.. Gateway has some cute kits:
http://www.gatewayelex.com/kits1.htm

But these are not anything like the wonderful stuff made by Heathkit way back. http://www.heathkit-museum.com/

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Hmm.. I might want that KIT-227 from gateway... hmm.. where is the schematics?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://ccrane.com/fm-transmitter.asp

Maybe a better choice for the small FM transmitter. I have one. Works very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HEY! CUTE!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was a kid, 13 years old, I got one of these, a Heathkit Mohawk. It took months to build. When it was finally finished, it didn't work. A nice ham who owned a TV repair shop (remember those?) fixed it for me. He said there was one cold solder joint. That was the most wonderful radio in the world. I made my first electronic music on that machine. It had a tuneable BFO.

If there is a heaven, forget the 74 virgins, I'd just want to tune one of those. Razz

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/rx-1.shtml

It was huge. 50 pounds. 20 Kilos (I think)

Cabinet size: 19½" W x 11 5/8" H x 16" D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is it, exactly, that we find so cool and so intriguing about the most uncool gear? The more uncool it is, the cooler it is to us. What is that? Our own flavor of counterculturism, I suppose, and I love it.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
What is it, exactly, that we find so cool and so intriguing about the most uncool gear? The more uncool it is, the cooler it is to us. What is that? Our own flavor of counterculturism, I suppose, and I love it.

Are you saying the Mohawk is uncool? Shocked

Here's a better picture...

Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
He said there was one cold solder joint.

Gotta love those. One of my Junos has developed cold joints on the main out jacks' contacts. This is the third time in some 4 years. I think it's time to get rid of the crud that is on them right now and try silver solder on those bad boys.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No no no! The Mohawk is way cool! And I even an old bakelite Siemens field meter from 1936 or so.. way kool!

Stuff like the Mohawk are cutural icons.. human artifacts.. this is not just gear! It is aboout who we are and why we are and the way we imagien our world.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No no no! The Mohawk is way cool! And I even an old bakelite Siemens field meter from 1936 or so.. way kool!

Stuff like the Mohawk are cutural icons.. human artifacts.. this is not just gear! It is aboout who we are and why we are and the way we imagien our world.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Are you saying the Mohawk is uncool? Shocked

Absolutely. Allow me to elabourate...

Cool

Uncool

Cool

Uncool

Cool

Uncool

I can provide additional examples upon request. Wink

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite

Last edited by Cyxeris on Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes please!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coolness is in the mind of the beholder, I suppose. Crying or Very sad
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, do you still have that Mohawk?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Coolness is in the mind of the beholder, I suppose. Crying or Very sad

Exactly. We defign our own "cool," which has an overwhelming tendancy to be that which the majority would consider the pinnacle of "uncool." No pity for the majority.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No. Crying or Very sad

After high school, I went away to college and loaned the Mohawk to a friend. He in turn loaned it to an old ham who needed a receiver. When I returned home on a trip about a year later, I asked for the Mohawk back. My friend called the old man. It turns out that he died and the wife thought the Mohawk belonged to him - and sold it. My friend was very upset. He insisted in paying me for it. He still feels terrible about it, although I don't have any hard feelings. Since then, I've many times come across used Mohawks for sale, but they wouldn't do it for me. Not the same as the one I built when I was a kid. I always look inside to see if my "mark" is inside. I could instantly recognize the one I built. I do have a very excellent vintage ham tube receiver; a Drake 2A.

I used this baby at a concert at Mills College in 1972.
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My father has always been a big HAM operator (or whatever the practicioners of HAM radio are called.) For awhile there, I was actually working for my own license, but at the time (somewhere around 8 or 9 or 10), I had no interest in it other than the quality of it being "what my dad does"

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW! Thst one is really nice!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: