electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » FX
A bad day for camping!
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: A bad day for camping! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well here is something a little different... maybe not wholly original (I got the idea after listening to G2Ian's 'seaplusplus' patch, so thanks Ian), but I've taken the idea to the extreme of my (unexpanded Mad ) G2's capability. Unfortunately, that means that there is only one voice available per slot (<<edited: see below>>), but it all seems to sound good still - those with expanded G2s will hear it better though. As such, I have also posted two other patches ('Thunder' and 'Fun with liquid') in the FX section, so that you can hear them as they were supposed to be heard. Anyway...

THE SCENE IS SET:

You've driven to the country, through some woods. You pull off the road into a small lay-by and park the car. You then walk a short distance through the trees until you find a small grassy clearing, where you pitch your tent for the night. Then you notice the wind picking up...

This patch picks up the story from there. It'll be a couple of minutes before you've heard everything, but it all cycles at different rates, so it won't exactly reapeat either. There is only one variation... but that's enough. It always plays the same 'story', but with some timing variations. For tweaking, I have marked important modules in purple - note that as slot B is routed through slot A, it is better turned off using the purple mixer switches.

Have fun! Very Happy

Now either listen to the shortend and edited audio clip without the best bit in it (no point on giving it all away Smile ) to get an idea of where we're going, or just download the patch and turn up the speakers!

<<Edited: Well I've been re-arranging and tweaking this patch a little and have come up with a little bit more polyphony! Very Happy (Not much though.) Now, the thunder has 2 voices.

I have slightly improved some sounds (you probably wouldn't notice the difference) and created a 2nd variation (controlled from slot C), which makes the rain more constant and the thunder more... well, just more. (I prefer this one). Variation 1 should be more or less identical to the first patch, but with fatter thunder. Very Happy

BadDayForCamping.prf2
 Description:
Bad day for camping patch - 'imaginary scene from story above involving bad weather'

Download
 Filename:  BadDayForCamping.prf2
 Filesize:  19.38 KB
 Downloaded:  2116 Time(s)

Bad day edit.mp3
 Description:
Shortened audio edit of the patch (minus best part) from G2 with no external effects.

Download
 Filename:  Bad day edit.mp3
 Filesize:  609.62 KB
 Downloaded:  1707 Time(s)

BadDayForCampin2.prf2
 Description:
Modified patch to allow more voice count and an extra variation - more or less, identical sounding to the original patch but with fatter thunder. Overall, this patch is slightly better.

Download
 Filename:  BadDayForCampin2.prf2
 Filesize:  19.65 KB
 Downloaded:  2072 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk

Last edited by sheridan on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent!
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome! some of the best imitative/emulative synthesis i've heard.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: A bad day for camping! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile) Not just the wright patch on the first real sunny day since 2 weeks here Wink... and the amount of thundering is scary...It however seems to pass by by now ... what was that noise? a bear?...oh shit the tent is fucked now ? nice , thank you sheridan Confused And this sound like somebody pi on my tent...

Thanks god we dont have such nasty wether and neighbors around here...
3phase

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sheridan..it just started raining..your patch is still running ( raining) in the background...How did you do that? Shocked
sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
Sheridan..it just started raining..your patch is still running ( raining) in the background...How did you do that? Shocked

Hah, it's funny that you said that, because it has rained in London over the last week or so when I was designing this patch too!!! I've been working on it so much that I've been dreaming of bad weather too!!!! (A lot of late nights recently!)

P.S. I hope the comment about a bear was a joke, because I don't remember programming one in there!??! Smile

Programming tip for those who are interested: After some time, I discovered that the key to creating natural sounds is basically randomisation (in the right places). Also, several layers of randomisation, ie. a random LFO modulating another random LFO at a different rate.

In this patch, you'll see a random LFO named 'Wind' (in slot B), which modulates the trees blowing and the rain as well as their normal modulation. Then, there is the 'Mod Env' module (also slot B), which basically controls the intensity of the rain, but which is also connected to the wind and other modules... the theory being that when it is raining harder (in this scene), the wind will also pick up, etc. If you change the Mod Env attack length to 0 and the L4 parameter to 64, the rain will stop less... you can adjust this envelope to make it continous too, although its intensity will still be affected by the wind (controlled by the 'Rain Clock' module rate knob). Look out for the significant modules coloured purple for cycle times/individual sound levels, etc.

Have fun Very Happy

3phase

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
!)

P.S. I hope the comment about a bear was a joke, because I don't remember programming one in there!??! Smile

Yes the bear was a joke..ther was only the sound of ripping the tend in pieces..the sound when a nylon textile is put in pieces ..srrrtchhh..
and than the rain was loud and direct..and than these sound like a single ray of a liquid getting to the teent skin...
That was your random generators?
sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure if you have looked at the rain patch in slot B, but there are 3 rain generators; one for the rain on the grass, one for the rain on the tent, and one for bigger drops/wetter rain. Each was altered to get the specific sound needed, ie. the high frequencies were taken out of the rain on tent signal and it was made loudest as it was closest to the listener's perspective, etc.

As the Mod Env slows the rate of the rain down, it can have the effect of going from many seperate drops into short 'flows' of water, maybe like someone pouring small amounts of water, or larger drips/collection of drips running off high branches... maybe that is what you're refering to? I was trying to replicate really heavy rain, but if the rain sounds too constant to your ears, you can lower the Prob modulation knobs on the relevant red 'Trigger' modules. You could even just mute the 'rain on tent' sound to hear more authentic sounding rain if you prefer.

Unfortunately, the effect is also spoilt somewhat when only given 1 voice, as in this patch... if you turn off slots C and D and assign more voices to slot B, you should hear an improvement.

I'm not trying to claim thet the rain is that 'natural sounding' though - without the huge eq cuts around 1 - 2 kHz, it sounds like raining on crisp packets/plastic sheeting! I found it extremely hard fine tuning the rain and often ended up with other liquidy sounds, hence my other 'Fun with liquid' patch. Maybe I'll look into using a different system to model it better another day. Smile

3phase

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dont get me wrong ..it sounded al extremly realistic...the wind and the rain..and the the somebody pieing on my tent...

When random is involved there are probably not many people that have to experiance this Smile
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Marvelous patching, very realistic Exclamation

In the end i was most surprised by the passing car. Couldn't it stop and take me with it? Slamming doors and sound of rain in the car comes to mind...

sheridan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hah, thanks... I couldn't think of what other sounds would fit into my little story... except maybe a bear Wink . I figured there was a road in/near the scene, so why not? Very Happy (Plus it was easily modified from my F1 patch Embarassed ) I thought I'd leave a big pause before it comes, so it would surpise everyone... just as you thought it was all over! Very Happy

I need the expansion card for my G2, before I can get deeper into this stuff... but I can't wait!

3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
Hah, thanks... I couldn't think of what other sounds would fit into my little story... except maybe a bear Wink . I figured there was a road in/near the scene, so why not? Very Happy (Plus it was easily modified from my F1 patch Embarassed ) I thought I'd leave a big pause before it comes, so it would surpise everyone... just as you thought it was all over! Very Happy

I need the expansion card for my G2, before I can get deeper into this stuff... but I can't wait!

Yep, the expansion is essential.. as soon you get hooked you need it.

the G2 x is not a bad deal in relation...nice keyboard..but my G2 is more something you have with you when traveling...
But it seems that you have an engine.. (no knob assignments) ?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's some damned good patching you did sherdan !

I'd call it a noodle, not an FX :-)

The watery things in the other thread made me think I'd have to make sure to wash the speakers afterwards, I'm sure someone was peeing in them or something.

Jan.
spanky

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aaww man that is excellent! Thank you for posting this patch, it's like watching a movie with my ears! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful! This is a very special one. Congratulations, Sheridan. Amazing... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sheridan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed ... Oh, I've just heard Rob's Fantasy patch - Summer Storm - which isn't too disimilar to this one. Sorry Rob, I din't mean to steal your idea.

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...perhaps if you get expanded, you can add some of your other creations, and have the "my tentmate ate beans for supper" sounds Smile

deknow
sheridan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh! Very Happy Actually, I'm hoping to get the expansion board this month!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Could be interesting...

3phase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

defenetly..especially for a hell patcher like you Wink...
you deserve one..

its just fine with the expansion...to go further with patches you anyway think rather about having more slots than filling more in the 4 given ones...
At least i only rarely feel limited by dsp since i got the expansion...
While without the expansion i was running against the dsp border with any bigger projekt i tried.
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ups: i got fooled by the unreas post function... june.... ts ts ...probably you have 4 engines by now Wink
AntonyPath25

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:  Amazing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing !! You really feal it !!!!
Excellent sheridan !!!!! its truly... Smile
stiiiiiiive

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah very cool.

I patched a similar one by the time I had my Modular rack. You can hear it in this little track that tells the story of a frog dreaming of being a camel...

But the frog is not camping. It is near a greenhouse in the french countryside, Normandie. And there is a little pond near.

Only 4 patches.

It is called Modromadular.

Lawx and Mowk

Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice story, nice track Very Happy
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally tried out this patch. holy... what a brilliant piece of work!

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » FX
Jump to: