electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
control SL with stylus type keypad
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
EraSer

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:  control SL with stylus type keypad Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you know if a stylus type keypad can be a good controller for SL?I think 1octave keyb is good enough for me.Do you know if it can run with 9V ? Have someone use it?
sohcahtoa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would work great!
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright I'm gonna get right to the point. What is a "stylus" keyboard? I understand keyboard. Embarassed
EraSer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Alright I'm gonna get right to the point. What is a "stylus" keyboard? I understand keyboard. Embarassed

"Stylus" maybe is not correct at all: it means stylophone keyboard. Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A stylophone is fun !

It's more fun even to have two styluses, styliea, or whatever one writes for that. It's monophonic, but holding one at a fixed position and moving the other around & lifting it occasionally allows for really fast crazy stuff Very Happy

(that is if the design allows for it and gives the lowest (or highest) note prioriity).

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats what I was kinda thinking I've just never seen one. So can you implement this circuit with momentary switches? Say connect one lug of the switch to the assigned number and daisy chain the other lugs to the resistor (r1 I think) that corresponds to the stylus?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The idea is to have no keys or switches but a PCB with contact areas that you touch with a stylus.

The PCB areas are connected with the taps of a resistor chain and the stylus picks up the voltage to control your osc, or whatever it is you want to control. The resistor chain can be the same as for other momophonic analog synths, but it's not really easy to obtain a gate ir trigger signal ("key" pressed indication).

It would be ideal to have the contact areas covered with something more resistive to wear and oxidation than copper, nickel seems to be good for that. But the one I used to have was just copper and I remember having to polish it a bit every now and then.

EraSer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to Ray you would hook the keys to the inputs of the CD4067 (the pin 1s of all of the switches) and connect the stylus to pin 1 of R1. Touching the keys with the stylus is just like closing one of the switches shown in the schematic. I see in the schematic that it runs on 5 volts and the gate is amplified to 12 volts.Could I use 9 volts battery instead of 12Volts ?
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry balance I don't know that. Maybe if no one answers you could PM Ray adhdboy or U K, dnny, someone with a lot more knowlwdge than I.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it should work, i think. ray states that his system needs a +12V gate, which is very high and uncommon. either 9V+ would be high so you should be fine with that, using two 9V batteries as for the soundlab...

cheers,
matthias
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I keep stealin your thread balance, but while we're on the subject. Whats up with the 5V+. I'm unfamiliar with this stuff. I'm still a one 9v battery guy. Well except the SL.
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Sorry I keep stealin your thread balance, but while we're on the subject. Whats up with the 5V+. I'm unfamiliar with this stuff. I'm still a one 9v battery guy. Well except the SL.

the hex flip-flop 74hc174 must not have more than 5V+... (thats the "hc" for in the parts name, i think).

cheers,
matthias
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't you build the single bus to CV/Gate/Trigger and just use it as a stylus type of controller. It still uses a chain of resistors which are shorted to a single connection (which is what the stylus type does) but it produces CV, Gate and Trigger and includes Portamento. It runs off +/-9V exactly the same as the SoundLab, and I've already done a stripboard layout for it, which I've built and runs perfectly. Very Happy
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/keybrdcontroller.html

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still having trouble wrapping my tiny little brain around this. But, in UK's suggestion, the part I 'm having trouble with is the Keyboard. So I just basically need a series of switches, keys, buttons, etc, one lug is the bus chain and the other lug is the resistor chain. Right? I'm far from making a keyboard but I have seen some cool one octave keyboards that look like normally closed buttons. Is this the type of circuit you could use. Or like when y'all all tear apart an old keyboard? Thanks
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One side of the connection is the "single bus";
In an old organ this is the piece if nickel plated brass which all of the key springs push onto.
In a stylophone it is the tip of the stylus, some use a ball point pen with a blob of solder on the end.
If you use momentary switches, it is the connection which goes to one side of every switch.

The other side of the connection is one of many points along the resistor chain;
On the old organ each point has a spring soldered to it.
On the stylophone each point is a pad of copper on the PCB.
With the switches, each point goes to the other side of each switch.

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THANKS! Smile
EraSer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have I to do the 1v/oct scale mod to use this type of keyboard Question
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you don't have to, but it's highly recommended: unless you've done this mod you're not able to get both VCOs in track. they will respond differently to the incoming control voltages. you will not be able to play a tuned SL, an octave on the keyboard will not be an octave on the SL and even worse different on both VCOs...

cheers,
matthias
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: